Am I missing a spacer?? gap on the axle, mag wheels (between brake and wheel)

JNizza92

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1978 xs650 special rear end that I am having some trouble with, I can not seem to figure out why I have a gap on the axle between the wheel and the bracket that holds the brake caliper.

Here is what I have, going from left side of the bike to right side of the bike (if you are sitting on it or looking at it from the back)

axle nut, adjuster thing, swingarm, adjuster thing, collar that goes of the bearing, then the wheel assembly (dust seals, bearings, internal rod, etc...), gap, bracket for caliper, adjuster thing, swingarm, adjuster thing, end of axle.

I think I am missing a collar on the brake rotor side (something that looks like the collar on the sprocket side)

I do not seem to have any other parts in my parts bags for the rear axle, so I am very confused, and I do not remember if there was a gap or not when I took it apart, I feel like there should not be a gap there and that there should be a piece that goes over the dust seal.

I have looked at the exploded views of the rear end but it does not show where the brake caliper bracket goes onto the axle so I am not sure what is going on...

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8248.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! thanks! you rock! What I will do when I get a chance to work on it is take the off of the sprocket side and put it on the rotor side and see if it works.

Thanks so much!!

The sprocket side is different than the brake side. I did a drum to disc brake swap on my 75. I had a very hard time getting the right spacer to fit that gap. I had one that was too short, and some others that had no collar. I put in the one with the collar and cut down one without to fit. I now have two spacers were there should be one. It works well except when you are putting the wheel back in. Holding two parts in place is much harder than just one.
The sprocket side parts are two parts, a spacer, #90387-20176-00 and the dust sheild #256-25367-00 These are the same parts as a drum brake.
The brake side spacer is #3H3-25377-00-00, dust shield # 1J7-25367-00-00
The parts listing calls the spacer a collar and the dust cover a cover, hub dust.
Leo

That is what I have too, a 1975 frame with the whole rear end from a 1978 special, both of those parts are not available anywhere anymore, I am pretty sure I have the dust cover, but I guess I will be making a spacer out of some tube this weekend.

I don't want anyone to have to take apart their rear axle assembly unless they actually need to or already have it apart, but I was wondering if someone could get a picture of that whole assembly and how it goes together, also the dimensions of the spacer on the rotor side so that I can machine one

Does anyone happen to have the measurements of that spacer?

Here you go. 3 pics of the rear right spacer (brake rotor side) on my 78 SE.

The overall thickness is 29/32".
Larger outer section diameter is 1 13/32", and its thickness is 14/32"
Smaller inner section diameter is 1 2/32". and its thickness is 11/32"
The centre section diameter is 2'', and its 4/32" in thickness.

The inner diameter where the axle goes through appears to be about 25/32".

Attachments

• Rear right spacer 1.JPG
    Rear right spacer 1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Rear right spacer 2.JPG
    Rear right spacer 2.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Rear right spacer 3.JPG
    Rear right spacer 3.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 343
If you want to find a used replacement it fit the following models.
Interesting it was shaft collar for the 650's and a wheel collar for everything else.

Attachments

• mag collar.jpg
    mag collar.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 360
jeez this community is amazing! ...

The level of knowledge and expertise is extraordinary and the lengths that folk will go to, to help other XS owners is exceptional ,...it really does make you feel like you're part of a Worldwide brotherhood :thumbsup:

Sorry guys I seem to be in touch with my sentimental feminine side today :confused:
Normal bum scratching, grunting service will be resumed tomorrow :bike:

Back