Amsoil question

Scallywag303

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know Amsoil makes a great product and use the synthetic in my Buell, but has anyone used it with their XS? I see they have a v-twin 20w-40 oil for wet clutch applications. Thought maybe it'd work well since their oil tends to run cooler. Any thoughts?

I know Amsoil makes a great product and use the synthetic in my Buell, but has anyone used it with their XS? I see they have a v-twin 20w-40 oil for wet clutch applications. Thought maybe it'd work well since their oil tends to run cooler. Any thoughts?

Hi Scallywag,
Engine oil does three things, it lubricates the engine's innards, it helps cool the engine and it picks up all the engine debris which are then retained by the oil filter.
Which the XS650 DON'T have.
There's just two wire mesh strainers that won't retain anything much at all.
Which is why an XS650 rider should change it's oil every 1,000 miles or sooner and that really makes three times the normal price oils like Amsoil a waste of money as it's vaunted longevity ain't in the picture.

Ya I wasn't concerned as much with the longevity of the oil I change mine pretty frequently about 2k. I guess just quality of the non synthetics amsoil and cooling the xs a little bit. Mine doesn't overheat but it can't hurt... Amsoil synthetic is $14/qt mobile1 $10/qt valvoline 4 stroke $5/qt which I've used but my clutch was slipping with it last time.

Oil questions I find are always hard ones. Everyone loves or hates something. Used it for years won't touch anything else. But I like fresh insight, it's always helpful.

I use Amsoil 20-50 Motorcycle oil, product code MCV, in 2 Moto Guzzi's, the XS, and an old triumph. 10-40 is better in liquid cooled bikes. I've used Amsoil in all my equipment for over 20 years and have been a dealer for a dozen or so. One of my customers had a 15 degree oil temperature drop when he changed to MCV in his HOG.

I was told by the cam grinder who built up and reground a cam for me to only use mineral oil. Something to consider if you have a modified engine.

I've got Amsoil in my Harley, Triumph Daytona, and my Honda Aero.
But not in my XS650 as Fred stated no filters in the ole XS it's best to change oil around 1000 miles, I use Valvoline motorcycle oil n her, if your rich I say Amsoil away It's not a bad thing. A bad thing would be to go 3000 miles between oil changes n the XS650

Back