Allison's 81 "Ole Paint"

How many XS's is too many?

• Total voters

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bought this from a CL ad. Guy was buying a car, noticed this bike in the weeds, seller said $50, guy had it loaded up when owner said WAIT I'll go get the title. CL seller fiddled a bit but got no spark. carb slides were stuck. I bought it for $300. The CL seller got the easy money on this deal.
when I bought it.
DSCN7021.JPG
DSCN7020.JPG
DSCN7019.JPG
DSCN7023.JPG

It's kicked free with compression both sides. wiring is toasted, the sun has crumbled the plastic harness connectors. on the RH side. been down but forks seem straight. Front brake seems to have no fluid.

Threw in a battery, pulled the plugs, squirted some oil in the cylinders. got some correct plugs not the resister plugs in it. Jumpered battery to coil hot, got somewhat weak spark spinning with plugs out, starter works with a screwdriver jumping the solenoid, oil level was correct and didn't have gas in it. Huffed a bit of ether and she fired, ran clean just on the either, sounded healthy. Bike had been plated in 2014 so it hadn't been sitting "forever" but was outstanding in it's field. So started in on it. this will be for the wife. Yeah I've done THIS before. She wants it in "daily rider" condition, not too fancy, that works for me!

Carbs are done, new throttle shaft seals, float valve o-rings, this and that as needed, completely stripped cleaned set and buffed up a bit.
DSCN0530.JPG

Oil and filters changed cleaning and buffing as I go.
DSCN0533.JPG

Engine looks "real good" inside. Also looked in the cylinders with a borescope they look good no rust or scraping. Leg says compression is good both sides.
Filled with 20-50 Valvoline racing oil. cam chain tension, it prolly had never been set, set valves, L intake about .003 exhaust .005" that's where I quit last night. Will bump the exhaust to .006", do the other side, Then clean up the intake manifolds and clamps, scrape some corrosion off the motor maybe start touch up painting, buff the valve covers, put on gggGary o-rings, do a head re-torque and mount the carbs.

DSCN0536.JPG

the way it sat last night.
DSCN0534.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN7022.JPG
    DSCN7022.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Glad someone saved this one. Just hate to see a bike just go to hell sitting someplace. The fact you got a title is fantastic, in some states that can be the death bell for some otherwise good old bikes.

Like the 1977 XS400 I was given a few years back. It is in about the same condition as your new bike, or should I say your wife's new bike, but I have not been able to contact the last owner. There are ways to get a new title but seems they all, at least here in NY, would possibly cost more than the value of the bike.

As I currently have two Sposrtsters and an XS650 soon to be on the road another XS400 with title and more or less two other mostly complete XS650's it is just not high on my priority list and might end up being a donor bike for other peoples projects.

Valve covers. Ss out of a windshield wiper makes great little tools. Work o-ring loose with tool then remove.

Attachments

• 1492788844691-756936157.jpg
    1492788844691-756936157.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 260
I'm tempted to offer money for that sissy bar. The taller the better and I know you hate them...

Rustoleum Rust Reformer from WM would be very useful here. After thorough brushing, spray inside of bucket & instrument covers, inside of fenders, anything that's been laying in the junkyard awhile. Stops the rust progression and makes a very tenacious coating.

Filed out a small iggy wrench w a square file to make an adjuster holder. Other side was 4 and 7 all set 3 and 6 now.

Attachments

• 1492789736676932871470.jpg
    1492789736676932871470.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 270
I'm tempted to offer money for that sissy bar. The taller the better and I know you hate them...

Rustoleum Rust Reformer from WM would be very useful here. After thorough brushing, spray inside of bucket & instrument covers, inside of fenders, anything that's been laying in the junkyard awhile. Stops the rust progression and makes a very tenacious coating.

+1 on the Rust Reformer, great to use on the back, unseen parts, of chrome pieces.

Polishing, I hate polishing !!!

Pretty buff for 62... stripper then black on hemp wheel

Attachments

• 14927917682331291709776.jpg
    14927917682331291709776.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 281
I have some hemp wheels but they don't look like that. They're very coarse and rough, like a stiff broom. They're made from hemp like rope after all. Very good for rough buffing with the black compound.

Blue on cotton and good enough for a daily rider.
PS real time pics that 1.5 HP 3 phase baldor on a 220 single phase VFD is the bomb!
The hemp on rh IS coarse.

Attachments

• 1492793121330289596023.jpg
    1492793121330289596023.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
+1 on the Rust Reformer, great to use on the back, unseen parts, of chrome pieces.
Right. Also, I got a deluxe center stand from a friend that was eaten with bad rust 100%. I brushed the hell out of it with one of those big wooden wire brushes under running water in an industrial sink and let it sit in the 100 degree Texas sun for a couple of days until I got around to spraying it with Rust Reformer. After I sprayed it down I left it leaning against the house in the Texas sun for a few days until I got around to putting it on. Too hot to touch oven baking! It honestly still looks like new. Been in all kinds of weather for several years now.

Back