Allison's 81 "Ole Paint"

How many XS's is too many?

• Total voters
Gary, those 3D Yamaha decals would be great for adding a bit of extra style to seat and fairing plugs if you are into making your own fibreglass parts.

Agreed - or maybe Resto could cast some emblems in pewter.....

...I'd buy a set for sure!

How are the foam gaskets under the face of its tach and speedo? And the rubber grommets at the bottom. Without all those in good condition my needles would swing and soon broke in half. I found a website that actually had the foam gaskets and grommets and a lot of other strange and rare nos parts.

Last edited:
^It's on a different box. I'll look for it tonight or tomorrow. What I remember buying from them was the parts I mentioned, a couple of white plastic pieces that go inside the bucket on the end of the stalks, and the steel sleeve that goes inside the countershaft seal, original was pitted. In the meantime if you use boats.net to get the part number and then google the number you might turn up somebody who has your part. This was about five years ago. Could be other people have it now.

Mine are good but I did some swapping around to get a good complete set. There's an ebayer out of Texas has a lot of Yammie NOS
There's a thread on here about diy gaskets with foam and heatshrink I think. I've had pretty good luck with XS gauges. the old KZ1300 gauges would bust their needles all the time.

Boats.net still have them.........If you want to pay that much.
Boats .net.png Boats.net.png

I Have made some by buying the right dimension'd rubber strips and cutting my own groove for the cup lip. Does take some getting fully seated but works. Make sure the width, of the rubber seal, between the under side of the bezel to the cut for the top of the cup is not to wide.

Curious where you found those xjwmx. My speedos' shakin' like a dog crappin' razor blades.

My instruments were loose due to various rubber and foam parts drying out and shrinking. I was able to snug them up by simply adding some rubber washers on the bottom of the gauges to the long bolts that hold the instruments together.

Excellent guys thanks.

WER, I have a couple o-ring kits, great idea, will see what I've got.

These grommets will work for the top of the side covers on a normal Special. You have to trim them with scissors and coax them at first but when they learn what they're supposed to be, they're good to go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-Si...ash=item3d317d6123:g:rbcAAOSwA3dYiOSv&vxp=mtr
Found the grommets used to mount the safety relay and such work quite good as top grommets for the plastic sidecovers. Always good to smear sil-glyde on any rubber parts before assembly.

Been a while for this thread, Allison glommed onto a Radian that wandered through the shop (can't really blame her that Radian is nice)
20190731_065512.jpg

and Madness is cooling her heels in Georgia, I'm all out of XS650 riders, so been tossing parts at Period Piece, so I can ride it. ;)
Buckhorns, special stepped seat gone, cast grab bar and special taillight gone, Special brake MC and rubber lines gone.
Emgo Euro bars on Virago Risers on,
20190821_164910.jpg

standard seat, mounts, brackets chopped, slammed, low as she'll go, on but not anchored yet :yikes: (Pete!)
20190821_164903.jpg

Got rid of some e-bay sintered pads that were just too hard for street use. For now some used stock pads on, stainless steel one piece line, 11mm MC from a TT225 Yamaha.
20190821_164918.jpg

Haven't decided for sure on what to do with wheels but may just ride it as is till winter.
Those Virago risers are a nice rise and back for the bars but the bolts are a bit short, Got some 8mm coupling nuts and gggGaryized one.
20190821_102800.jpg
This should work.
Took it out for a cruise and I can live with it for riding position, honestly it's better'n the Guzzi, real close to how madness is set up and, well I can ride THAT bike a ways!
Brakes are much better now.

PS rerouted clutch cable between gauges and iggy switch to RH side of tank, under front tank cup mount then over top of backbone. MUCH better now.

Back