Allison's 81 "Ole Paint"

How many XS's is too many?

• Total voters
Been a while for this thread, Allison glommed onto a Radian that wandered through the shop (can't really blame her that Radian is nice)
View attachment 147819
and Madness is cooling her heels in Georgia, I'm all out of XS650 riders, so been tossing parts at Period Piece, so I can ride it. ;)
Buckhorns, special stepped seat gone, cast grab bar and special taillight gone, Special brake MC and rubber lines gone.
Emgo Euro bars on Virago Risers on,
View attachment 147817
standard seat, mounts, brackets chopped, slammed, low as she'll go, on but not anchored yet :yikes: (Pete!)
View attachment 147818
Got rid of some e-bay sintered pads that were just too hard for street use. For now some used stock pads on, stainless steel one piece line, 11mm MC from a TT225 Yamaha.
View attachment 147815
Haven't decided for sure on what to do with wheels but may just ride it as is till winter.
Those Virago risers are a nice rise and back for the bars but the bolts are a bit short, Got some 8mm coupling nuts and gggGaryized one.
View attachment 147816 This should work.
Took it out for a cruise and I can live with it for riding position, honestly it's better'n the Guzzi, real close to how madness is set up and, well I can ride THAT bike a ways!
Brakes are much better now.
Love those tank badges...looks like a Triumph logo...

Well it Ain't over til it's over, guess what came back home today?
KIMG5791.JPG
She sez that Fancy Honda DN01 is a great bike and all but it's not a REAL motorcycle so she bought Period Piece Ole Paint back from Bill J and rode it home. Carbs need a quick go through, leaking a steady dribble of gas, but otherwise seems fine!
And I just happen to have a front Star Mag painted to match. LOL

Last edited:
Well it Ain't over til it's over, guess what came back home today?
View attachment 261249
She sez that Fancy Honda DN01 is a great bike and all but it's not a REAL motorcycle so she bought Period Piece Old Paint back from Bill J and rode it home. Carbs need a quick go through, leaking a steady dribble of gas, but otherwise seems fine!
And I just happen to have a front Star Mag painted to match. LOL
Good stuff.👍

Bought this from a CL ad. Guy was buying a car, noticed this bike in the weeds, seller said $50, guy had it loaded up when owner said WAIT I'll go get the title. CL seller fiddled a bit but got no spark. carb slides were stuck. I bought it for $300. The CL seller got the easy money on this deal.
when I bought it.
View attachment 98547 View attachment 98546 View attachment 98545 View attachment 98549
It's kicked free with compression both sides. wiring is toasted, the sun has crumbled the plastic harness connectors. on the RH side. been down but forks seem straight. Front brake seems to have no fluid.

Threw in a battery, pulled the plugs, squirted some oil in the cylinders. got some correct plugs not the resister plugs in it. Jumpered battery to coil hot, got somewhat weak spark spinning with plugs out, starter works with a screwdriver jumping the solenoid, oil level was correct and didn't have gas in it. Huffed a bit of ether and she fired, ran clean just on the either, sounded healthy. Bike had been plated in 2014 so it hadn't been sitting "forever" but was outstanding in it's field. So started in on it. this will be for the wife. Yeah I've done THIS before. She wants it in "daily rider" condition, not too fancy, that works for me!

Carbs are done, new throttle shaft seals, float valve o-rings, this and that as needed, completely stripped cleaned set and buffed up a bit.
View attachment 98541
Oil and filters changed cleaning and buffing as I go.
View attachment 98542

Engine looks "real good" inside. Also looked in the cylinders with a borescope they look good no rust or scraping. Leg says compression is good both sides.
Filled with 20-50 Valvoline racing oil. cam chain tension, it prolly had never been set, set valves, L intake about .003 exhaust .005" that's where I quit last night. Will bump the exhaust to .006", do the other side, Then clean up the intake manifolds and clamps, scrape some corrosion off the motor maybe start touch up painting, buff the valve covers, put on gggGary o-rings, do a head re-torque and mount the carbs.

View attachment 98544

the way it sat last night.
View attachment 98543
Ape hangers and sissy bar. God bless you for saving her

She wants rototiller bars and the wolf's head saddlebags back on it! :doh:

View attachment 261287
She also "wants to do her own work"
I'm thinking a set of HS carbs I already have done and the handle bar choke will be a nice upgrade.
My goodness send a little of that “wants to do her own work “ motorcycle ambition to those a wishing.😂

Back