An Adventure in Firsts: '83 XS650 Heritage Special Build/Rebuild

Banjo width can be confusing. Mostly because the original Yamaha banjos are only 7mm wide. And the original banjo bolts are designed for these fittings.
Here's an original Yamaha banjo bolt off my 80SG. Measures out at 9.94mm. Next pic is a stainless aftermarket. The shoulder measure 9.78mm. The 10mm banjo fittings work just fine in both.

Can't say as I've ever ran across a 7mm one.

untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Banjo width can be confusing. Mostly because the original Yamaha banjos are only 7mm wide. And the original banjo bolts are designed for these fittings.
When you order after market brake lines, I did not find a banjo width option and did receive banjos 10mm wide. This requires sourcing appropriate banjo bolts as well.
Just reread your comment. Are you saying the width of the banjos is 7 or 10mm?
The 10mm standard refers to the hole diameter of the banjo, not the width. The width is immaterial as long as it passes fluid and doesn't leak. I don't think there is a standard size for that.

20210309_214818.jpg

An original Yamaha banjo width across the flats is 7mm. Other Japanese manufacturers use 10mm. The difference in Yamaha banjo bolts and others is significant too. Nutter pic-
20210309_215009.jpg

An original Yamaha banjo width across the flats is 7mm. Other Japanese manufacturers use 10mm. The difference in Yamaha banjo bolts and others is significant too. Nutter pic-
I see what you're saying... but that doesn't matter. As long as the hole in the bolt falls inside the banjo so that fluid can transfer, it'll work just fine. Actually, there's precious little fluid movement, it's more a pressure transfer. So 5...15mm... doesn't really matter. As long as there's a pathway for the fluid, it'll work.

Your caliper pic looks like there's only one washer on the top of the banjo? supposed to be 2... copper sealing washers on both sides of it.

Ofcourse there are two. Also I've found the Yamaha original copper sealing washers to be quite thin when compared to Honda/ Suzuki sealing washers.
I pay a lot of attention to linear features. All features actually as this has been my job as a machinist to measure parts Everyday over and over.. way too long, way too much measuring for anybodys life time. Things like sealing flange lengths, thread lengths, just all of it, get over thunk all over my whole XS.. (everything)
:lmao:

I never even thought to compare widths of the banjos but I've never had an issue with any aftermarket line fitting being too wide. They all mounted up and worked just fine, and they could have been wider. Like I said, I never checked that.

Get a 90cm long line with 10mm banjos on each end, and at least one of them angled a little, maybe 20° or so. The exact angle isn't critical, you just want one on the caliper end (you can see it in Machine's pic above) to help clear the bleed nipple.

And yes, a MC slightly smaller than the stock 14mm one works better, gives better modulation and "feel". Most of us get one 11mm to 13mm. Personally, I seek out a nice used one from another Yamaha model. This gives me the reverse thread mirror mount and allows me to use my existing brake light switch and brake lever.

I too found the Yamaha master cylinder gave a wooden feel to the front brake. Bought an aftermarket one from ebay - sold for a small Yamaha, I think it was for RD250. But the important things are, the piston size was smaller and the mirror thread was left-hand to take Yamaha mirrors. Only cost me £36 and combined with a 90cm braided steel brake line has transformed the front brake, more power and more feel.

I see what you're saying... but that doesn't matter.

I never even thought to compare widths of the banjos but I've never had an issue with any aftermarket line fitting being too wide.
Well, glad we are all more aware of the differences in hardware.
To me it does matter. Just because to an engineer who designed the sealing features created the print, and somebody else made the hardware to print. It's just what I do.
I even see the radius's, chamfers, finish quality, (condition of the cutting tools)
lengths, etc..
o_O Look closer at the features in the future and you just may get even more particular too.
-R

Last edited:
Well, glad we are all more aware of the differences in hardware.
To me it does matter. Just because to an engineer who designed the sealing features created the print and somebody else made the hardware to print. It's just what I do. I even see the radius's, chamfers, finish quality, (condition of the cutting tools)
etc..
o_O Look closer at the features in the future and you just may get even more particular too.
-R
I get you. As an A&P tech, there can be no deviation in parts and hardware. That's why most of you are so much smarter than me. In my business, there is only one way to fix it. That's by the book. So, I'm guilty of living in that box most of the time.

Correct, found that to be true as well out there in the salvage yard, wrenches and rag in hand, cracking fittings doing my field study on the matter. Those two guys who run that salvage yard sure do appreciate all the "help" removing parts for them..
:D

I realize there are going to be some kind of fittings on each end of the hose so those are the specs I'm looking for.
So... back to your original question Marie... you want the 10mm banjos. That refers to the hole diameter and not the width of the banjo. The width varies by manufacturer, isn't listed in the specs and for all practical purposes can be ignored. As long as you buy a hose with 10mm banjos, your good.

Okay, well I just put all that out there.
I do understand that it is difficult to learn when you already know everything.

Okay, well I just put all that out there.
I do understand that it is difficult to learn when you already know everything.
Well it don't take a rocket scientist to see that snideness is directed at me, so I'll respond.
This is Marie's first try at maintaining her own bike. Understandably, she needs advice and pointers. For instance, she needs to know that banjos are measured and identified by the diameter of the hole. As a practical matter..... that's pretty much all she needs to know about banjos.... period. Anything else just adds unneeded clutter. If a bunch of engineers and machinist's want to have a discussion about "radius's, chamfers, finish quality," ... and yes.. just how fat is that banjo anyway, then by all means have at it.

I've never claimed to know it all. In fact, if you go back through just this thread, you'll find numerous instances of me saying "my bad." I've never danced around an ill advised comment as is happening here.
Here's one thing I do know. 15 yrs of teaching aircraft maintenance taught me to never... never give a student information that they neither need nor have any control over. There's more than enough useful information that's needed when working on brakes... brakes are critical after all. The difference between the thickness of Suzuki vs Yamaha banjos fall in the "no control over and not needed category".... your trying to purport more value to it notwithstanding.
Apologies Marie. Back to you.

I believe it is valuable information for all of the XS650 members as well as in this thread to see and understand that the common 10mm wide (across the flats) banjos which are a standard size for most other motorcycles, but not our XS's however do use longer banjo bolts with features designed to be compatible with the 10mm wide banjos.
This is very simple and was surely not intended to get so carried out. Or IGNORED.
This is useful information that many XS owners are not even aware of when purchasing Chinese brake lines.

I see what you're saying... but that doesn't matter. As long as the hole in the bolt falls inside the banjo so that fluid can transfer, it'll work just fine. Actually, there's precious little fluid movement, it's more a pressure transfer. So 5...15mm... doesn't really matter. As long as there's a pathway for the fluid, it'll work.

Your caliper pic looks like there's only one washer on the top of the banjo? supposed to be 2... copper sealing washers on both sides of it.
"supposed to be 2... copper sealing washers on both sides of it."

I'm wondering if a hardware store would have them

Back