An Adventure in Firsts: '83 XS650 Heritage Special Build/Rebuild

Grr. Just took a look. Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see anything in the way and it looks like screws you mentioned--if I'm looking at the right thing--are where they're supposed to be. Tried pushing cable in again more at the choke on bars but it won't go in anymore, which makes sense if I can't move the mechanism by hand I doubt the cable will do it... Not sure what else to do at this point but take the tank off and see if I can get a better look... or oiling the rod by the carbs with WD or 10/30 oil but I don't know if I'm good putting oil that close to the gas land of the the carbs
I meant to note as well that before this happened, or at least before I noticed it, the bike had a slow tip over. Judging from the fact that the slider won't pull out on the ride side, you'd think it would be on the right side that it fell, but it fell onto its left side...
Left side
IMG_3747.jpeg

IMG_3749.jpeg

Right side
IMG_3751.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

Well, my next step would be to disconnect the cable, or at least loosen that little clamp that holds the cable end down on your carbs (shown in your last 3 pics). See if releasing the cable allows the chokes to snap closed. If it does then the cable is at fault, seized or bound up. You could also check along the length of the cable. Maybe it got pinched somewhere.

Very good pics!
You have a daily rider there. And it's hot where you live? Everything, rods, cables, and choke plunger appear not only quite dry but surrounded with sandy like road grit.
Not surprised there are things sticking.
Do you have light oil? I wouldn't recommend WD40 as a lube that would help you without disassembly and cleaning. I would recommend light oil on the sliding rods and choke plungers. And cables. Work the mechanism manually as much as possible while attempting to lube and free it all up.
:thumbsup:

I meant to note as well that before this happened, or at least before I noticed it, the bike had a slow tip over. Judging from the fact that the slider won't pull out on the ride side, you'd think it would be on the right side that it fell, but it fell onto its left side...
Look where the cable runs behind the tank at the front and see if it got a bad kink from the tip over.

Alright. So, it looks like it's a pooped cable. I loosened it at the carb and the mechanism slid back into place. So I got it back into the closed position and then tightened it back up. I didn't try too much to feed the cable back or to get it to work again cuz I can see the prelude to fraying at the bars so it just seems a new one is in order and I'd do it by hand in the interim. I moved the choke slider at carb by hand to start the bike and warm it up to get to work and to get home. Good news is that I tried out 5th gear again on the way there and had no issues (at least that one time). Bad news is that on my way home, I had a new issue arise. The bike started to kind of chug and act like it was losing power or, if it were a person, as if it had something in its throat and was trying to get it out to talk. It actually slowed and I thought I was going to lose power completely but I kept on the throttle and then it blasted forward. But then it slowed significantly and blasted again. When I slowed to a stop at the light I tried to keep it going (I think I kept on the throttle a touch, in neutral, but can't remember for sure), but then it died completely. Rolled into a gas station: slider hadn't moved (ie. still in position where it's not adding extra gas). I had gas. I started it up again on the first shot and made it the last mile home okay. Seems like a carb issue but I don't even know right now. Feeling rather frustrated since I can't seem to get a good phase of it running right and then the next day it seems like someone tried to mess with or take my bike when I went to work: my neighbor found it leaning against the tree where it was parked and it looks like the left side of my bars seem crooked a bit. Thankfully they didn't take it as I imagine the little alarm scared them off, but this is the second time someone has tried.
Anyway, that's all I have for now--in addition to the list I already have like the oil leak (I think it's the pushrod again), getting the clutch mechanism right again--I'd had it in a good spot and then it seems it got tight again--doing valves and cam chain, oil cover gasket swap.... . Haven't had a minute to really look at it properly since so going to go outside now and see if it'll start or explode or maybe it's missing

Last edited:
Yup. Someone hit or tried to steal and drop it.
IMG_3804.jpeg

Good news is that it started. Besides taking a while to get to where it'd idle on its own, it idled fine. Can't say how it'd ride cuz the bars are so bent it's like riding very drunk or going diagonally straight.
If anyone has recs for where to get new choke cable, let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably just partzilla it. And if anyone knows of any booby traps that just set people on fire, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_3800.jpeg
    IMG_3800.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 112
View attachment 196851
Good news is that it started. Besides taking a while to get to where it'd idle on its own, it idled fine. Can't say how it'd ride cuz the bars are so bent it's like riding very drunk or going diagonally straight.
If anyone has recs for where to get new choke cable, let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably just partzilla it. And if anyone knows of any booby traps that just set people on fire, let me know.
Ouch :(

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, this choke cable is N.L.A. from Yamaha anymore. You would have to search eBay for a nice used one, or maybe get lucky and find a N.O.S. one. There's also a chance one from a Virago may fit. They are still available and Motion Pro even makes one,

View attachment 196851
Bike thieves are scum.

Not read for a while
The Cable / A Cable is many times possible to lubricate and get going.
If one takes it off hanging it vertically and makes a small funnel of a plastic bag tape it around the cover for the wire pour oil in there it will flow down. Unless it is broken I Would be surprised if it wont loosen up enough .

Yes I think you should hose it down with a garden hose getting some dust off it.

The hesitation and traffic light stop is a sign many times of poor charging. And / Or Battery
I Would measure charging voltage across battery and check so nothing is loose fuse and connectors

Here a replacement handlebar is not expensive and perhaps if I remember correct you had plans for something else

I had a friend -- his i dead now that got his car stereos stolen on a regular basis late 70 ies
In those days the thieves jerked out the radio without separating the connector.
I suppose it took longer time separate . So a clear sign that someone was trying to sell you a stolen stereo
Was that the connector was not there.
He asked around if anyone had a Hand grenade up for sale so he could attach it to the wires of the radio.
Impossible to buy in those days now it could be done with the right connections
But we talked him out of it He did not die of an explosion Instead while hunting he had shot a deer and should haul and lift it into a car but something inside him burst

As I mentioned earlier, this choke cable is N.L.A. from Yamaha anymore. You would have to search eBay for a nice used one, or maybe get lucky and find a N.O.S. one. There's also a chance one from a Virago may fit. They are still available and Motion Pro even makes one,
Thanks @5twins. I thought I'd remembered saying something about it being out of stock but then thought that was just in my head. Anyway, considering that maybe it's worth trying to mess with this one a bit (as well as poke around for an NOS or the virago). New bars ordered. Once, replaced I can assess our sputter problem.

I just ordered a used Virago cable for $7 off eBay. Figured it was worth taking a chance on. I would like to find an alternative because with lower bars, the original is a bit long (besides being no longer available). But a Virago one may not be much better because they had those buckhorn bars too, lol.

That's good news. I was hoping the Virago cable might be a little shorter. And the fact Motion Pro makes one is a big plus, since we can't buy the original 650 ones from Yamaha anymore.

That's good news. I was hoping the Virago cable might be a little shorter. And the fact Motion Pro makes one is a big plus, since we can't buy the original 650 ones from Yamaha anymore.
Carburetors are also not positioned on the back of a vertical twin.

View attachment 196851
And if anyone knows of any booby traps that just set people on fire, let me know. :laughing:
I'm not laughing at you it's just the wording of your frustration that got me
I feel your frustration people will do anything for an easy buck

Yes, I'm familiar with Virago carbs. The choke cable attaches to the side of the left carb with a similar clamp set-up like the 650 uses. What with the lower buckhorn bars and the fact that the cable doesn't make a 90° turn and run across the carbs, I'm hoping it will be shorter. 3 or 4 inches shorter would be great.

Back