An Adventure in Firsts: '83 XS650 Heritage Special Build/Rebuild

Troubling thing is, after all the effort that master link was to remove and now re install, Why is anybody encouraging squishing it back together? Think about what it will take to remove again? I am still on the replace it Squad .. wish we all would just send our spares for fun cuz I don't even know why I have stashed used master links like others of us
:lmao:
View attachment 178988

Hi Machine,
you have to remove the chain to clean it properly and unless you pull the swingarm you haffta break the chain to do that.
And how much space does a master link need? (Us old folks remember when everyone carried a Renold Chain Spares tin in his Barbour jacket's pocket.)

I'd replace it too if it was easy to find one, but that's the issue here. They stopped selling that chain a few years ago so finding a spare master link is very difficult. You either make do with what you've got (make it work) or replace the whole chain.

Troubling thing is, after all the effort that master link was to remove and now re install, Why is anybody encouraging squishing it back together? Think about what it will take to remove again? I am still on the replace it Squad .. wish we all would just send our spares for fun cuz I don't even know why I have stashed used master links like others of us
:lmao:
View attachment 178988

Totally agree. That is why i recommended a removal from 2 points...........i thing the way it was removed did damage............also why i recomned removing it and hammering it fla,t and to remove any, or if there is some, burring in the holes.

A master link plate,in good condition, will slip on and of but it won't slip on if it is not square to the pins............Due to the plate being bent this is probably one of the major reasons it is won't go back on..........There was also an issue before and that hasn't been resolved

I think you are doing a surprisingly fine job.
You are on the way ..and might even fix it
Chain ..
I am of the replacement opinion . As other gentlemen suggests .but for the test riding and oil leak finding I could perhaps use the
one there but change it once things are sorted out.
Hammering on the link has the risk of it cracking without you notice it.
Try to inspect if it is bent or put there crooked ( at an angle )
Talking a few months. tops

I don't know what tools you have . i have small bench vices ,,That could be used.
But In your case perhaps something like a C clamp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-clamp

Those are very common in every shop I have been in more or less --Welding ---Machine installation you name it .
Some friend or neighbor has something like that

put 2 small nuts over the end ( pins ) you are trying to push through
and perhaps a small piece of flat-bar on both sides depends on the clamp size.
Watching that it goes in parallel
Some grease or oil and it should move.
You need to test that chain bends freely afterwards.

I once got the recommendation that Diesel Oil was a cleaning liquid little milder against O rings in chains
and other rubber ..Not checked myself

The other issue i have with trying to put a bent plate on is the clip, when reinstalled, may have pressure on it..........only ideas to be examined and determined.........a clip, for safety reasons, should have no external forces applied to it in normal running conditions

Thanks for all the input everyone. Been away this weekend. Back at it tomorrow.
In short:
Yes, I'd love to just replace the master link for a variety of reasons such as ease and safety and piece of mind, but as it's been pointed out, it's very difficult to find, if not impossible, and I don't have time to just wait around till it shows up. Other option is to find the chain for sale and just steal the master link from it.
Other option suggested was to just buy a new and different chain. Sounds nice as those can be purchased affordably, but as far as I understand it, I'd also have to replace both sprockets if I do that so they wear evenly. My sprockets are in fine condition and I don't really have the money to replace pricey things like that if I don't need to right now--I have money for the repairs and mods I have planned--thanks to insurance from last accident!--and even then I need to be frugal as money is tight in general. Hmm...that being said, I just looked at the prices for front and rear sprockets on MikesXS for reference and it's not what I thought it cost--I thought it'd heard/saw that it'd be more like 200 to replace them all. In case I go that route--curious to know if you guys have a custom/modified sprocket and/or chain setup or if you do stock teeth and length? I know next to nothing about what that choice means yet--looking tomorrow.

So if I can buy myself some more time for that replacement, I'd choose that, so I'm going to take another look at it and examine the plate condition and how best to remedy it based of assessment and recs, and give myself another day or so to get it on. I'm not sure if I just had it further down on the pin on one side or if it's actually bent. If that fails, I'll have to move forward with another plan.
(And yes, let's say I hammer it back into shape but get it on: it'll be a bitch to get off again, but at that point I could also just cut the damn thing off and do the replacement then and at least bought myself some time before having to spend money on a full replacement or bought myself time to find a master link and can keep some things moving.) Going to try a combo of the suggestions here and report back.

(I wish it was clear why this was so difficult to remove in the first place, as it would probably help me now and I just want to know...no rust, no burrs, didn't look bent...Perhaps the the master link pieces are from two different masterlinks and the PO just forced them together in a pinch I don't know.)

Carefully inspect the teeth, or more importantly, the space between the teeth on your sprockets. The space between the teeth should be a uniform "U" shape. When worn, this space begins to resemble a fish hook .....

full

I see pics of your front sprocket earlier in the thread here. It still looks pretty good and unworn. If the rear is the same, I don't see a problem with just replacing the chain. Sure, the ideal scenario is new everything, but I think you could get by with just a chain for now. I think major sprocket wear happens when folks run an old badly stretched out chain too long, trying to squeeze the last and most miles out of it. A stretched chain doesn't fit down onto the sprocket teeth properly and I think this accelerates the sprocket wear.

Yes, this bike benefits from a gearing change, but just a very small one. Keep the original size (17T) for the front and just reduce the stock rear size (34T) one or two (33T or 32T). It doesn't sound like much of a change but this is all it takes. The bike will cruise more comfortably on the highway but you won't kill it's off the line performance and "fun factor". Go much more than the couple of teeth mentioned and the off the line performance in the lower gears will take a very noticeable hit. Here's a gearing chart and as you can see, a 32 on your 16" wheel is very close to a 33 on an 18" wheel, but even a 33 on your wheel would be a nice improvement over stock .....

full

I don't recommend getting sprockets from MikesXS unless you have built up an order large enough to get free shipping. Their shipping charges on small orders are quite high and would kill the deal. Instead, you can find much better deals off eBay with free shipping, like this 17-33 combo package .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

So, as you can see, following the chain and sprocket links I've given you, replacing everything wouldn't cost anywhere near $200. You could do it all for about $80. But like I said, I think your sprockets are still probably good enough so that you could just start with a chain.

Alright. No luck. This masterlink was sent from hell to steal my time and mess with my head. ai tried nuts over the pins and clamping, just all of it. And the reason isn't clear so it's even more aggravating. It's not even clearly bent, and the measurements of hole to pin size are pretty close (was wondering if it was just fabricated poorly) but I'll probably look at that again as I was pissed by that time and I don't like at least not knowing why this has happened. The more I fiddled with it the less smart it felt to keep this chain at all, and to let it take any more of my time when there are other things I could be doing. Sticking with it just seemed like being stubborn still at this point. That's all the details I can muster for now...deflated. :( Anyway, I'm going to buy new.
Just not sure if it's wisest to do just chain or chain + sprockets. Doing the whole set seems smarter so they all wear evenly and while my sprockets seem okayy and I know 5Twins felt like I'd be okay just doing chain, I also don't know how new/old the sprockets are and a few spots look more worn than others--more like lazy U shapes. Maybe just start with new chain for short period. I'd like to understand what I'm really doing by changing sprocket count etc before purchasing so going to do a bit more reading and make a call; still have to figure out what type of chain to get too. Thank you @5twins for the info you shared!
Good news is there's plenty of other things to do on the bike while I make this choice and wait for delivery--well and all my other projects I've been neglecting as well.

Rear sprocket . (pics of front in earlier posts)
IMG_1740.jpeg

As for loosening the nut on the front sprocket...best to put it in first gear and put a block under rear wheel or something? I almost put shifter back on to do that but wanted to make sure that wouldn't be stressing the gear to do that. Unfold that lock tab washer too?

Last edited:
I'd like to understand what I'm really doing by changing sprocket count etc before purchasing so going to do a bit more reading and make a call; still have to figure out what type of chain to get too. Thank you @5twins for the info you shared!
That's all gonna depend on your riding style and conditions. For instance, if most of your riding is in the city... light to light kinda stuff, the 33 or even the 34 would be more suited. On the other hand, if it's mostly highway miles, the 32 would be better. Myself, I like to get out in the country and just meander... and I'm a lightweight at about 160, so I went all the way down to a 31 tooth. For me, that works fine, but it's definitely not for mostly city driving. If you like crankin' on it 'tween the stoplights, go for a higher number. If you like kickin' back and cruisin'... go lower. Best to leave the front at 17 though.
Just not sure if it's wisest to do just chain or chain + sprockets.
Just my way of thinkin', but if I have to think about it... I already know the answer. ;)
As for loosening the nut on the front sprocket...best to put it in first gear and put a block under rear wheel or something? I almost put shifter back on to do that but wanted to make sure that wouldn't be stressing the gear to do that. Unfold that lock tab washer too?
Chain back on, rear brake on is best. Yes, flatten out the tab washer. Either treat it gently or buy a new one, you'll have to bend it back when the new sprocket goes back on.

Loosening the front sprocket nut. Sometimes, the nut will have worked loose. After flattening the tab washer, you put the 36mm socket on, get ready to give a big heave and, oh, it's not very tight. Other times, that nut is tight. Forgive me digressing from XS650s but the sprocket nut on Kawasaki W800 has gained a reputation. Installed at the factory by a robot using an air tool. Took two days for me to remove the first time - needed a specially-purchased hardened-steel six-point socket, a very long lever, a Willing Assistant sitting on the bike (she would never forgive me for saying using her weight) and applying both rear and front brakes and a big heave. That picture on the left shows me in the moment of triumph with the offending nut.

That's worse case, and hopefully yours is tight but unlikely to be that tight. You might be able to borrow an electric rattle-gun to work the socket? Or you might be able to find somebody to sit on the bike and apply the brakes? Or even a wooden plank through the back wheel and on top of the swing arm? Use a box spanner or similar to get some extra leverage on the socket bar and you will get it to shift.

Good luck!

Increasing the front sprocket by 1 tooth = reducing the rear by 2 teeth.........it is said that having a 17 front and 34 rear isn't the best because the chain and sprockets run over the same links all the time, meaning that if a link gets some damage it will run the same spot on the sprockets increasing wear to that one area.........One of the main reasons to reduce the rear, or increase the front, sprocket, is to reduce vibration when on the open road. rider weight is a big factor when considering how much to change the gearing. 32 or less can affect the top speed in 5th gear or on hills......Another factor when going to 32 or especially less teeth on the rear is taking off in first........... the bike is geared high and the need to take off with higher revs and slipping the clutch some may be needed.....Again that will also be offset some by the weight of the rider

Generally i would say, swap out the sprockets with a new chain............that been said, if the sprockets show minimal wear then the slight long term loss, in wear time, is offset by the cost of spending now..........

Hard to get a handle on how much wear is on the sprockets due to angles of your pics and shadows from the flash. .......in the pic below, (red arrows), you can see the condition of the teeth and the pic shows the back side that doesn't get the drag onto and off the chain when driving. This is in good condition
IMG_1683.jpg

Check the other side of the teeth. If you find that lip, (red arrows point to), is still on the drive side of the tooth then i wouldn't hesitate to use a new chain with them.....Where the green arrow points to is where the the sprocket will start to cup and wear away that lip the red arrows point to.

If that lip has noticeable wear down to the edge of the top of the tooth, or visible cupping showing in the drive side of the tooth then i would replace sprockets as well as the chain..........if money was an issue and they weren't changed as a set then longevity will be compromised to the point that the saving in $ won't out weigh the time it takes to wear.

View attachment 179079

Last edited:
Here is a better pic.......can just see some wear but i would hesitate to say how much just off the pics........that is something you will need to asses as you will have a better view...........

In this pic red is the drive side
IMG_1657.jpg

To me your sprockets show minimal wear. Considering that you have emphasized your limited current budget, I would say just put a new chain on it. Search around on EBay for the best prices including shipping from the US.

Tools: Here in my area the auto parts stores loan lots of them out for free; it sells more parts for them. They might have an electric or air gun (rattle gun), which makes removing that nut VERY easy.

Alright. No luck. This masterlink was sent from hell to steal my time and mess with my head. ai tried nuts over the pins and clamping, just all of it. And the reason isn't clear so it's even more aggravating. It's not even clearly bent, and the measurements of hole to pin size are pretty close (was wondering if it was just fabricated poorly) but I'll probably look at that again as I was pissed by that time and I don't like at least not knowing why this has happened. The more I fiddled with it the less smart it felt to keep this chain at all, and to let it take any more of my time when there are other things I could be doing. Sticking with it just seemed like being stubborn still at this point. That's all the details I can muster for now...deflated. :( Anyway, I'm going to buy new.
Just not sure if it's wisest to do just chain or chain + sprockets. Doing the whole set seems smarter so they all wear evenly and while my sprockets seem okayy and I know 5Twins felt like I'd be okay just doing chain, I also don't know how new/old the sprockets are and a few spots look more worn than others--more like lazy U shapes. Maybe just start with new chain for short period. I'd like to understand what I'm really doing by changing sprocket count etc before purchasing so going to do a bit more reading and make a call; still have to figure out what type of chain to get too. Thank you @5twins for the info you shared!
Good news is there's plenty of other things to do on the bike while I make this choice and wait for delivery--well and all my other projects I've been neglecting as well.

Rear sprocket . (pics of front in earlier posts)
View attachment 179062

Did you take the master link off to see if the link plate fit over the pins one by one? If they did, then the reason it won’t go together is an alignment issue. If one or more holes to pin don’t fit (one at a time), you could very carefully clean up the hole(s) with a dremel tool, providing it’s not the pin that’s damaged. If they both holes pass the “one at a time” fit test, while the link is in your hand, upon close inspection, you should be able to see what part is interfering. Perhaps the ends of the pins have a slight burr on them that can be cleaned up with the dremel tool to put a slight chamfer on the edge of the pins.

Okay, snuck away from my other work for a minute and took another look at those sprockets before I decide. Thank you @650Skull for those pics. Judging from what I saw, the sprockets certainly aren't "bad" as they're not in fishhook territory, but the drive side has some wear and the lip is just distinguishable. The lip on front sprocket teeth looks more defined than the rear to me. I took a bunch of pics (see thumbnails)--sorry if I missed getting both sides on some, in a hurry at the moment. So in short, I feel a bit like I'm in liminal territory in terms of wear being minimal enough to just run a new chain. Part of that is due to me questioning whether I'm looking at/judging this well since I'm new to it. So I'm leaning towards just replacing it all, and then I'm also purchasing peace of mind and knowing it's all at 0. That said, I think I'm going to get the chain first and wait on sprockets till I have a minute to find the right ones. I imagine running a new chain on existing sprockets for a short period of time (likely just short test rides) is negligible in terms of wear. It'll also give me a chance to better assess the feel of the bike and how I want to gear it in terms of teeth. (As for riding, yes, I want to be able to have great off the line pull for city riding (and fun)--and avoiding people pulling into me--but also solid top end speed as I do go on highways a good deal. As far as me countering the bike's pull, I'm about 140lb and 5'8"). As of right now, if I go down I'm thinking I'd only go down one (33T) on rear, and if up, seems like 36 would be max since as much as acceleration makes me happy, it'll be really annoying if the bike is struggling at 90.

As for the chain specs: I didn't find any info on length or width in either owner's or service manual or parts diagrams. Old chain had 530 stamped on it which I believe is the pitch, and I saw that 5Twins said the standard length is 104 (I counted the plates on the last chain and it was 52, so 104 links I believe). So sounds like I'm looking for a 530 104 length unsealed, or standard. However, when I was adjusting the chain tension and moving the rear wheel back and then forward, it got me thinking that I could perhaps get a longer chain that enables me to have the right chain tension when put at the farthest setting back, meaning the rear wheel will be farther back by about an inch.
IMG_1745.jpeg

Why? Design thing--I like it when the rear wheel looks farther out from the engine and bike's "center," making the bike look longer and visually balanced, not as far as the front wheel but negative space. Extending the swingarm is something I thought a lot about doing, but from what I'd read, the turning radius and maneuverability I'd lose for the amount of inches I'd need to extend it to make it worth doing, didn't make sense for a daily rider--function over form at the end of the day. (Hence I figure why drag bikes are long and meant only to go straight). Anyway, I thought maybe this would be one of the ways I can create that illusion--it's about 1.25in difference between the first position and the last, and that's about the same length as a link plate (1.21"). So 105 length at least, but that's assuming 104 had it at the tightest setting and I don't know off hand, but 105 would be max needed for just that task. (which I doubt they carry, so it sounds like I'll need to remove links). I saw @5twins say I can buy longer and remove links, but at present I don't know how involved that is--chain breaker? some pointy item and a hammer at the pins sounds like it'd work in theory. So my question to you is if you see downsides to doing this or if you see I'm missing something and it won't work. Length needs to work for new sprocket setup too obviously sooo:

Re chain length for sprockets: I imagine I need a longer or shorter chain depending on sprocket teeth? Looking at a 110 link one right now--how do I determine if that will work for 36 tooth setup or 33 setup, for example, or 39 if I lose my mind? (front staying at 17) One link per extra/less tooth? If that's correctish, then, adding 1 link for keeping it at last setting, I'd be okay buying anything at least 104-107 for sprocket setup ranging 33-36.

So overall I just want to be sure right now whether I'm buying the right (and closest if I can avoid having to remove links as I'm understandably wary of chains at the moment) chain length for having chain tension/rear wheel at last setting while still having right chain tension, right length for sprocket options (somewhere in 33-36 likely) and bike specs. I don't feel like 110 would end up being too short, so as long as I don't have to go shorter with that one I think I'm good as I can always remove..

Specs for sprockets: Any other specs I need to be aware of besides teeth? I imagine the inner diameter of the hole...but I Didn't see any specs for the front or rear in owner or service manual, or on oem parts page on partzilla for instance. I did read that my chain width, so the 3.0 eighths of an inch (.375"), needs to match my sprocket width. I could follow the measurements for the sprockets in the kit that 5Twins linked to, but it says that kit is for 75-81 bikes... or 83 is the same?

Ah okay I have to run away, hopefully this makes sense. Hoping to buy the chain tonight! :bike:

Oh and
Did you take the master link off to see if the link plate fit over the pins one by one?
Yes, I did try and they wouldn't go down one by one either. When I looked at it, and tried to slide it down, it didn't want to go past the recessed dimple below the pin heads. I don't see any burrs on the legs or head--there may be some inside the plate holes I can't see well enough, but honestly, unless I find time before a new chain arrives, I'm done messing with this chain and link. I can post pics tonight of the Masterlink as it is now--there only thing I can see is a verrrry slight but even sloping at edges of plate, but considering the methods I used to bang it back in--over holes in center etc--and that the plate lays perfectly flat etc, I'd be surprised if that was it.

Attachments

• IMG_1752.jpeg
    IMG_1752.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1751.jpeg
    IMG_1751.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1743.jpeg
    IMG_1743.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1744.jpeg
    IMG_1744.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1754.jpeg
    IMG_1754.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1758.jpeg
    IMG_1758.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1755.jpeg
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1750.jpeg
    IMG_1750.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1757.jpeg
    IMG_1757.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1749.jpeg
    IMG_1749.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Old chain had 530 stamped on it which I believe is the pitch....
Pitch and width. Chain links are measured in eighths of an inch. So the 5 stands for 5 eighths (5/8") pitch and the 3 is for 3 eighths (3/8") width. not really sure what the 0 is for. :umm:
When you buy the sprockets, it should list whether they're for a 530 chain or not. And as long as it's listed for an XS650 the bolt pattern and hole size should be correct.

Last edited:
so 104 links I believe). So sounds like I'm looking for a 530 104 length unsealed, or standard

-I like it when the rear wheel looks farther out from the engine and bike's "center," making the bike look longer and visually balanced, not as far as the front wheel but negative space
Sounds to me like you are right on track for a 33 or possibly 32 rear sprocket. 530 chain. Standard and not a big fat heavy X-ring chain.
One thing I've been wondering and looking for is your Avon Speed master tire, didn't you end up with a 5.0-16 ? That 5.0 is a tall tire. It would be nice to find the axle in the rear 1/2 of the adjustment range. So again.. "if" you did go- tall 5.0 ? 33 tooth a good guess ?
Here's a few pics comparing (attempted) overall tire diameter to a large Dunlop 130/90-16
Tire size does matter when splitting hares on gearing :)

Attachments

• 20201118_144847.jpg
    20201118_144847.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201118_144921.jpg
    20201118_144921.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20191123_120843.jpg
    20191123_120843.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 117
Pitch and width. Chain links are measured in eighths of an inch. So the 5 stands for 5 eighths (5/8") pitch and the 3 is for 3 eighths (3/8") width. not really sure what the 0 is for. :umm:
When you buy the sprockets, it should list whether they're for a 530 chain or not. And as long as it's listed for an XS650 the bolt pattern and hole size should be correct.
Yes! Forgot to say width as well. I read the zero is because it's 3.0 (.375)... (so if it's in eighths, then the 525 for example is 5/8 pitch, 2.5/8"...which looks weird but I guess that'd just be .312..)
@Machine
Yup! 5-16 safety mileage on the rear, 3.5-19 speedmaster up front. He's got a booty. Isn't the 5 the width though, not height? So what's the deal with tire width and sprocket teeth dynamic?

Just got a 110 Links D.I.D 530 Standard Chain. Wanted to pull the trigger so things keep moving. I'd be surprised it ended up short putting the tension on last setting and even if I end up going for more teeth and more vroom. I'll likely still have to remove links.

And as long as it's listed for an XS650 the bolt pattern and hole size should be correct.
Do I need more/less chain length for more/less teeth though? Or the answer is really only yes when you make significant jumps up or down, which a 110 link (as well as removing links) allows me to do anyway. Just wondering if there's a general rule teeth increase/decrease to link increase/decrease. Haven't gotten straight answer from the inter web yet.

Back