An introduction and question

As a contrary opinion; there are a LOT of old guys that want an early XS but ALSO want an E-start due to declining physical abilities and plain old convenience. OLD guys is the primary market for these bikes. Myself excluded, :laughing:
JRP1 really wanted to do this conversion but I wouldn't let him. :laugh:
It's on my todo list also.

Jake
Just a thought. Put in a E-start motor and keep the original. If you ever decide to sell the bike you could then put the original motor back in or sell it with the bike. Should be no loss in value if you keep all the original parts.

Jake
Just a thought. Put in a E-start motor and keep the original. If you ever decide to sell the bike you could then put the original motor back in or sell it with the bike. Should be no loss in value if you keep all the original parts.

...and that way you have TWO engines to play with....

More toys is always better than less toys. ;)

Appreciate the support guys... My only other experience in dealing with older things is turn of the century .22 caliber rifles. My approach to them was to find ones that were well past collector condition, missing or broken stock or, parts, shot out bores, etc. I then return them to good looking, function rifles. I find myself looking at the 71 with the same sense of respect. My original plan of swapping engines included powder coating the frame and related parts. Additionally replacing rims, spokes, chain guard, ignition, charging systems, etc with aftermarket parts and updates. My approach to the 71 was going to be the same as the old .22's. Which is how I really like to do things. Not a purest but respectful of what it is. If the bike was in a worse condition I would have no problem marching ahead with my original plan. But it is not... Think I'm going to sleep on this for awhile.

Never question 2many...
20190905_183245.jpg 20190905_183226.jpg

Have a few pics showing some specifics on the 71.

Tank first. I got two with the bike and both have issues.
IMG_0112.JPG

And yes, those little buggers have no metal under them.
IMG_0111.JPG

Second tank. Holes, rust and a dent
IMG_3177.JPG

I do have a third tank stored at a friends place back in Arkansas. It has no dents, no rust but the little tangs by the filler hole that holds the cap latch has one broken off. I'm confident this could be fixed in some way.

Fenders. The rear fender is what I would call great shape for its age. I don't see any dents and the only real rust is on the tail light.

IMG_0120.JPG

It also came with two front fenders. The one on the bike has quite a few dents on the top ahead of the forks. The other has three very small ones. They are in the area of the bike's reflection. I was wondering if anyone has tried one of those paint-less dent removal places for something like this?

IMG_0152.JPG

Last edited:
Here are a few showing where rust has settled in. And chain guard has quite a few big dents. The other side looks real good so I'm thinking battery acid caused this.
IMG_0109.JPG

Forks have some light pitting up by the lower tree. Question. Anyone know what the switch is for? It comes out of the headlight bucket.
IMG_0125.JPG

Rear rim has rusty spots like this pretty much around it on both sides.
IMG_0110.JPG

Front rim seems in pretty good shape. Very little rusting.
IMG_0154.JPG

Both side covers have the graphics and in similar condition. Plastic accents are in good shape. Bike also came with a second right side cover.
IMG_0132.JPG

AAE8A553-213D-484F-9ABB-E2F6BEB999FF.jpeg
AC8CB9EA-B10A-42B4-B763-E17AD591219C.jpeg
This is a stock XS2 setup. There is a small pin that goes into a hole on the bottom of the M/C. The piece with the hole is captured by the pin in the handle.That castle nut has a long bolt with a sleeve that goes all the way from the top of the M/C, through the lever, then through the stop switch. Good luck. P.S. Love your bike.

Back