And Speaking of Expensive...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've been watching Curtis from Cutting Edge Engineering on YouTube. Australian outfit. Does a lot of interesting stuff, usually with BIG construction equipment.

He wears what appears to be a PAPR (Powered air purifying respirator) welding helmet. First time I saw it I said "Cool!" not only from a filtered air standpoint, but the positive pressure should keep the lens from fogging up which is something that aggravates the crap out of me when I'm welding.

I got curious and went looking. GASP! doesn't begin to cover it. $1500 to around twice that, depending on brand and specs.

Guess I'll continue to keep a paper towel in my back pocket while welding...

I've been watching Curtis from Cutting Edge Engineering on YouTube. Australian outfit. Does a lot of interesting stuff, usually with BIG construction equipment.

He wears what appears to be a PAPR (Powered air purifying respirator) welding helmet. First time I saw it I said "Cool!" not only from a filtered air standpoint, but the positive pressure should keep the lens from fogging up which is something that aggravates the crap out of me when I'm welding.

I got curious and went looking. GASP! doesn't begin to cover it. $1500 to around twice that, depending on brand and specs.

Guess I'll continue to keep a paper towel in my back pocket while welding...
I love that channel! If you're just looking to move air under your hood, I recommend the Miller cool belt. Those PAPR's are really meant for people welding in really nasty toxic environments like shipyards, so they are pricey. You can get into a cool belt for $300ish. It'll stop fogging and lower the temp under your hood about 15f degrees. If fogging is a big problem, just get some rain-X or anti fogging wipes and wipe down your inner lens.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....wVmoodbXWJpVs03zbb3GbRz8pB931LUYaAsWtEALw_wcB <cool belt link

https://www.zoro.com/rainx-glass-cl...ejPEimCrqUYb9_V1RXPU3utb3Tpjie34aAj85EALw_wcB <rainx anti fog

Back