And the carbs, they are a popping...

Dumbmonkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm reaching my wit's end, and any and all advice would be welcome. I've got an '81 Special II, it's all stock, with BS34s, and I can't get it to stop with the popping. I pulled the carbs and did as best a disassemble and clean as best as I could. I replaced the mixture screw o rings and both are turned out to three turns. I've checked the float levels and both are at 22mm. I've tried synching with a manometer of my making and all seems right. What am I missing? Is getting these right that difficult!?!?

It sometimes takes several attempts at carb cleaning before you get them right. I'm guessing your pilot circuit isn't totally clear yet. To do a proper job, you really need compressed air to blow the cleaner through that circuit. It helps to attack it from several directions. Blow cleaner through the pilot jet mounting hole while blocking the mix screw mounting and outlet holes so the cleaner only comes out the 3 by-pass holes in the main bore. Blow cleaner through the pilot jet hole again while blocking the 3 by-pass holes and mix screw mounting hole so the cleaner only comes out the mix screw outlet in the main bore. Blow carb cleaner through the mix screw hole while blocking all 4 holes in the main bore so the cleaner only comes out the pilot jet mounting hole.

Back