And yet another new member

cabmkr

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looks like we are all comming out of the woodwork! About a year and half ago i picked up a 1980 XS to build a street tracker. I initially stripped the bike, cut the rear frame off and few other bits so i would be committed to the project then it has sat in the corner of my bike shop till this new years. In between i got side tracked on a 79 TT500 yamaha resoration. Both Scott Pickets and Mules bike were what got me inspired along with a good freind that both builds bikes and races flattrack (John Parker Racing). My Plan is to basicly build a dirt tracker, then add lights. Also initially I am going to build the chassis then next winter the motor will come apart. At least thats the plan for now.

Hey there cabmkr. I've got an 81xs650 that i'll change a few things on. I picked up two of these, a runner and a parts bike for, brace yourself, 100bucks off a farm in rural Mn. Its still stock, a good example though but I'll change the bars, seat, exaust and intake. I'll leave it a soft tail- easier on my spine.

Hey Cabmkr,
" Cabinet maker" and coming out of the "woodwork" - sorry couldn't let that go!
I'm a newbie too, but I've been riding an xs for several years. Just noticed you're from Muskoka, I'm down the highway in Orillia. I had my bike as a street tracker for several years, but I'm going more for a 60s flat tracker now. If you need any parts or help, let me know. I may be willing to part with my XR750 style seat pan, just as long as I can see the finished product.

Thats cool Dogger, and i wondered when someone would get that joke, and yes I am a Cabinet Maker. I already have an XR tail but i am looking for other bits. Here is how far I have gotten so far.

bikepics-1872803-200.jpg
As i got it

bikepics-1872815-800.jpg

After about a week

bikepics-1872829-800.jpg

And now

- workshop appears nicely insulated, looks like that rear tyre is just waiting for spring

- how about some quick shots of the 500 in the background-love those singles

Seat is a XR750 style from trackskinz (on e bay) It fits well and has good glasswork and a decent seat ,I think it was about $125 but they dont have any listed right now. Tank is from a 74 XL350, forks are RZ350 and rear wheel from the XL350 also, and yes the tire will be changed, swingarm from a Radian. Depending on funds i want better forks 41-45mm and am looking for another rear hub (preferably a disk with a cush drive maybe a TDR250) Shocks are from the TT500 but right now just holding it up.

And For inxs here is a pic of my 500

Started as this
bikepics-1566611-200.jpg

And now
bikepics-1677594-800.jpg

The exhast is a custom made from a CRF450 off of ebay for under $100 new

- thats a 77 model, no? great bike-have had several over the years, XT's too and SR's..all 500's...very clean..whats with the beemer in the background?

- edit...just seen its a 79 in 77 colours

It started life as a 79 XT500 cost $450 but started first kick, then when I rebuilt it I did it as a TT, so being it started as an XT it will be easy to plate. Decals may hve been from a 77.
As for the beemer, its my father inlaws 92 (i think) 318I, its been off the road for about 7 years now.
We actually have a few projects in the works, the TT just needs the lights wired, my XS, a 72 Hodaka ace 100, 72 cb500 cafe, and a 74 XL350 but i may part it out and then the beemer but my FIL want to trade it for a 48? flat fendered willy's

Nice 500, I was thinking about getting something along those lines, and then decided on a newer klx250 (gotta love them new suspensions). Back in the fall I was riding southwood rd near kilworthy and spotted a 49 willys truck for sale. Was around 5000$ and in pretty good shape - older resto. If I had the cash I'd be keeping the truck a secret.
Dogger

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 240
- FIL has the right idea, the willy's is much classier and more practical, here beemers are a dime a dozen...over the years theres been a good business sending them to africa and the middle east

- the tractor looks kool too...when i bought my house here it came with a red ferrari-tractor

Back