Anit-Vibration Ber Ends

Honestly, I don't think something that small is going to help much. Something like a bar snake that fills the whole inside of the bar might. I have 6" to 7" lengths of solid steel rod w/ o-rings on them jammed into the ends of my bars. They help a little, very little, lol.

I was looking at the bar snake but with all of my control wires running inside the bars, I don't think that will be the best solution. Gloves and grips I guess ;-)

has anyone even done a comprehensive study of anti-vibration mods for twins ?

I wonder how much difference the 270 crank rephrase actually makes ? or whether the money would be better spent insulating the engine at the mounting points like the Norton ?

On the other XS I have I got some steel tube the same internal diameter as the bars and forward control pegs, cut them to about 1 1/2" then split them length way. Got my steel pot and stove, melted some lead and poured into the split steel tube. Once cooled, open the steel tub fress the lead slug and tap into said bar ends etc.

Made a difference to mine, ill be doing domething similar on the new one too

Oh, I like that idea. I have lots of lead because I cast my own wheel balance weights .....

Mold-Filled.jpg

I wonder how much difference the 270 crank rephrase actually makes ? or whether the money would be better spent insulating the engine at the mounting points like the Norton ?

That is a great question that I would love to hear more about. I've been thinking about a rephase to help eliminate vibration but the sticker price has been keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I cut a vinyl tube the length of my flat track bars and filled the tube with #12 lead shot. I crambed the heavy tube back into the bars and noticed a great reduction in vibration. There seems to be no vibration in the bars at low speeds and it is only above 65 that excess (XS?) vibration intrudes. My footpegs vibrate more. I am very happy with this experiment.

Tom

That is a great question that I would love to hear more about. I've been thinking about a rephase to help eliminate vibration but the sticker price has been keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I read a very comprehensive study about anti-vibration on twins a few years ago but can't remeber where . Probably on one of the Brit bike forums .

Found this about bars on XS11
http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-tips/modifications/40/147-how-to-eliminate-handlebar-vibration.html

Read Mrrigs thread.

I remember reading a product review years ago about a product that was basically a tube of silicone caulking that was used to fill the bars to reduce vibration. I don't know how well it worked but it must make a difference.

Scott

Last edited:
IMHO they're more for looks. I didn't notice any less vibes with my clubman bars after I installed the blue ones on mine. BTW, the fastening system (allen head bolt, expanding rubber spacer, flared nut) when tightened, clamps to the bars, w/o desired antivibe effect.

P.S. Yes I know they would probably work better in the outer ends....... but it's a 650 twin.... nonrephased...... these things do shake... a bit:D:D.

P.P.S. yes my bars are rubber mounted.... pegs too:D:D:thumbsup:

Attachments

• S4023136.JPG
    S4023136.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 165
Years ago, 77-83 when we sold Yamaha's, I remember installing bar weights in one of our models but can't remember which it was or what year.

For some reason I keep thinking it was the XS400 model and it would have been around 78-79 perhaps later.

It consisted of a solid bar of steel about 6" long with o-rings on each end that was installed inside at each end.

Clutch side was already installed as the grip was already on, and just the throttle side needed installing because the bars were not mounted in the crates so as to keep the crate as narrow as possible for shipping.

Not sure how tight the fit was because the end would interfer with the throttle tube so it must have been tight, but really just guessing.

That was over 30 year ago. Many brain farts since then. That the best I can do.

:laugh:

My 83 heritage put my hands to sleep for the last time. I changed to 6" dogbones and dragbars. I put commercial dampers on the short riser base pipe and filled it with #6 birdshot. Then I filled the dragbars 3/4 full with buckshot and put plugs in the bar ends.
I found the biggest soft foam grips and put them on. i also changed my driven sprocket 5 teeth down for cruising. She still vibrates at 60+but managable!

Bar End weights are more effective if they are steel. The aluminum ones pretty much just plug the holes in the end of the bars. They do help some, but don't expect miracles in vibration damping by doing anything to the bars. Reductions and frequency changes can be realized, just don't get your hopes up or spend a bunch of money. You will be disappointed. The beast is what it is at it's heart, til you change it's heart. The re-phase does reduce the intensity of the vibrations, but it's not like it turns into an L-twin or anything. 270's have a very likeable character to me, but I won't be changing mine.

Years ago, 77-83 when we sold Yamaha's, I remember installing bar weights in one of our models but can't remember which it was or what year.

For some reason I keep thinking it was the XS400 model and it would have been around 78-79 perhaps later.

It consisted of a solid bar of steel about 6" long with o-rings on each end that was installed inside at each end.

Clutch side was already installed as the grip was already on, and just the throttle side needed installing because the bars were not mounted in the crates so as to keep the crate as narrow as possible for shipping.

Not sure how tight the fit was because the end would interfer with the throttle tube so it must have been tight, but really just guessing.

That was over 30 year ago. Many brain farts since then. That the best I can do.

:laugh:

My old yamaha radian had bar weights in it. I installed them into my last bobber it helped a lot. :bike:

I cast lead into bullets. I've been thinking of taking my bars off, pushing a plug in till it hits the bend. Then pouring it full of lead to the end of the bar.
this should dampen the vibes some.
On casting your own wheel weights I can't see that. Sure weights like that do help. I have found Dyna beads work so much better and they can't come off.
Look much better too.
Leo

Back