Another carb jetting question....

As mentioned, K&L Supply also markets the original ARS brand intake boots and will probably be easiest to find. Unfortunately, nobody seems to make the '78-'79 vacuum nipple equipped type at the moment, but with your manual petcock, you really don't need them. The '74-'77 style without the vacuum nipples will work just fine. That would be K&L part # 11-4210. EBay might be your best source for these, something like this .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-YAMAHA-XS650-TX650-74-77-TWIN-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-CARB-BOOTS-GASKETS/233062395759?fits=Model:XS650&hash=item364399ef6f:g:dh8AAOSwLpdW8oDK:rk:9:pf:0

For genuine Mikuni jets, many have been using Niche Supply recently .....

http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categories/carburetor/mikuni-parts-by-category/jettting-tuning.html

You will want N102.221 small round mains and VM22/210 pilots. As I mentioned, I would start one up on the pilots (#30) and 2 up on the mains (#140). I don't think one up on the mains (137.5) would be enough so you can skip right over that. If things aren't quite right like that, you could experiment some more. You could try 2 up on the pilots (#32.5). 3 up (#35) would most likely be too much. On mains, you could try 142.5's and 145's.

Yes, as Gary mentioned, your very blue headpipes indicate you're quite lean at the moment. The pilot jet will have a big influence on pipe color and could be the main culprit.

And just a note on your UNI pods. They are the same as the plain black foam filter, just with an added red foam outer sleeve. The black foam used on these is finer than their "signature" green foam filter elements. The special foam filter oil they sell is actually too thick for this finer black foam and will clog it. It's recommended to use just a 50-50 mix of plain motor oil and gas on them. I have a bottle of straight 30 wt., Walmart's house brand, that I use for this.

Last edited:
I mix mineral spirits and ATF 50/50 in a windex bottle, makes it easy to get even coverage on the foam.
UNI AIR FILTER – FOAM SHEETS
BF-1 – 12″ X 16″ X 5/8″ – 65 PPI Grn fine foam
BF-2 – 12” X 24” X 3/8″ – 30 PPI Blk coarse foam
BF-3 – 8″ X 10″ X 2″ – 30 PPI Blk coarse/Skid
BF-4 – 12 “X 16″ X 3/8″ – 60 PPI Blk fine foam
BF-5 – 12″ X 16″ X 3/8″ – 40 PPI Red coarse foam
BF-6 – 12″ X 16″ X 5/8” – 40/60 PPI Dual Layer

I tend to use the 5/8" green to replace stock filter media inside the air boxes.
Easier to see dirt on the lighter green surface.

Note the black sheets are available both coarse and fine.
I think the red/black filters use the fine black.
BF-6 – 12″ X 16″ X 5/8” – 40/60 PPI Dual Layer
"Uni Filter’s Dual Layer “POD”Air Filters are constructed with “Two” layers of foam, a course red outer layer and a fine black inner layer."

The 50-50 oil and gas tip comes from the UNI Australia web site .....

https://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d297_roadbikepod.html

I've been doing mine up like that for many years and they haven't hardened up or deteriorated. But, I only find the need to clean and re-oil them every few years so it's not like I'm soaking them with gas every 6 months or something.

Ok so I upped my main jet to a 140 and my pilot to a 30. I moved my clips to the 2nd position. It seems like there isn't a ton of pull off the line, but it accelerates smoothly , and there is some break up with the throttle all the way open. Could this be remedied by moving my clip to the 3rd position?

Dawg, the first step to troubleshooting a full throttle breakup is to go through the ignition system with a fine-toothed comb. You might want to look for a 2-2 exhaust system. In addition to being trouble to tune for, that 2-1 system will find the asphalt if you corner at all hard on the right.

Back