Another clutch problem

AtoXS

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys hoping someone can give me some insight as to what is going on here so I can get this thing rolling today asap.
Yesterday I pulled the clutch to replace a worn shift shaft. While in there I scotch brighted the plates and discs, replaced the springs, modded the bolts to allenheads and replaced my leaking pushrod seal again. Now I'm on to making clutch adjustments, but to get any engagement I have to back the worm gear screw way out. In first the clutch grabs hard and seeming correct, neutral is good, but all the other gears I can push the bike around the garage in gear with a little effort. Now there is no new oil in the case yet as the right side cover is still off as is the exhaust. Not sure if this makes a difference but I did bump and move that 5 point star behind the clutch that the shaft connects to 1 position while in there.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you may have two things going on in there.

Clutch pushrod backwards? Extra 5/16" ball in there? Clutch worm contraption assembled correctly?

Shifter claw arm properly fitted in the slot behind the starwheel? Shifter properly centered?

If the kickstart gear inadvertently engages the tranny's 1st gear, it would make it appear as though 1st gear works (if you're just rolling it around ). So, check the kickstart clip, should be in its slot.

Maybe some pics would help...

A little more info. Clutch is an 80, the worm was way out before I messed with it today if that means anything. I jus backed out the screw and recentered the star on the right side. No extra or missing balls, clutch hub is on locator dot, rod is in the right direction.

Attachments

• IMG_20150702_093443906_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150702_093443906_HDR.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20150702_093539462_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150702_093539462_HDR.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 202
The first pic looks ok.

The 2nd pic shows hub casting # 341-xxxxx-03. Is that the later one with the retainer ring?

Can't quite see to count the clutch plates. If not enuff plates, the pressure plate will set too deeply and push the pushrod outward....

6 friction, 5 steels? Sounds like 80-up alright. I've never fooled with those. Have a look in the Tech:Clutch thread for the setup. I believe the retainer ring is covered in there. Also, look into the clutch plates "stackup", measure yours to compare. If too thin, there goes the pushrod protrusion.

Speaking of which, I'm trying to find that other thread that specifies the amount of pushrod protrusion out of the pushrod seal on the left side...

Funny thing. I slapped it back together, adjusted the left side and everything engaged. Took it around the block, adjusted it again and was gtg. I just got back from an all day ride without any problems. I'm not sure what the problem was, but thanks for trying to help troubleshoot anyway twomanyxs

Back