Another failed MikesXS Part

Some of you guys crack me up when you get so worked up about this stuff.

If you don't like his service or products, don't shop there. If you got screwed once by a failed part or his service, bitch a little bit, and get over it. Some people are salty about one $20 part they bought 3 years ago and are still ranting to the world about it with every chance they get.

I'll still buy stuff from mikesxs, and if it breaks, I'll get it somewhere else the next time (if it's even available anywhere else). It's like buying from harbor freight, without the return policy. Some stuff works just fine and is a great value, and some stuff you're better off spending a few more bucks elsewhere. How come you never see threads on the internet with people pissed off about the shitty tools they bought from harbor freight? It's kind of the same thing isn't it? Yeah I know.. harbor freight has a store where you can go yell at the teenage cashier who will pretend to care and give you store credit for more shitty tools.

Let's not turn this thread into a discussion about the XS650 hardtail with the sporty tank and apes. I think there is already a couple of threads about that.

Now have a beer or ten and relax

couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup:

If I remember correctly, the wire for the brush is soldered to the back side of the plate that holds it in. To install, the wire must be pulled around to the opposite side of the metal bracket. I resoldered the wires to the other side of the metal bracket to give the brush a little more travel.

Attachments

• Resoldered outside brush.jpg
    Resoldered outside brush.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 186
My clutch cable from MikesXS broke too but a nice Yamaha dealer resoldered it for me. By and large, Mike has done a great deal of good for the XS650 community. If you don't believe it, just go to your friendly local Yamaha dealer and try to get some of these parts.
Strictly notgonnahappen.com. I like to give 650Central my business too, mostly on more technical or sophisticated things when I need to discuss the situation with MMM. There's no technical service with MikesXS. So I try to support both businesses as much as I can. With the downward pressure today on prices and quality because of the rise of China, it often makes more sense to pay more to get better parts. I'll get my next clutch cable from 650Central as well as the trick Kawi clutch lever and holder.

some of the clowns on here should buy a bike like some old hondas and see how fun that is. We are lucky we have such resources at all.

exactly. you know how hard it was to find parts for a 1982 cb750sc (first nighthawk), and if i did holy expensive and it wasn't even an antique when i bought it in 2000. sites like Mike's are one of the reasons why i bought a xs650, i have never seen a parts resource like that before for an older bike.

I can thank Mikes for really getting me into the XS. I got my orange bike for free, in terrible shape and in pieces. (missing a few too) I almost died when I saw Mikes....and he made it easy for me to get my bike in good running shape, easily and quickly. I'm sure some of the stuff is cheap compared to OEM....but its priced right.

I've been buying parts from Mikes for 5 years and I've had very few problems.
I like how easy it is to order and how fast I've always received my parts quickly, the only stuff I've bought that I really hated was the cheap ass gaskets that don't fit worth a damn.

I have to say if it weren't for Mikes I probably would have sold the bike.

Although Mikes is an asset to the community, a lot of his parts are cheap. Ive had 2 clutch cables break, almost everything that Ive bought chrome rusted. But, in a pinch, mikes almost always has the parts!

I'm so glad to hear that someone else here has a problem with Mike's!, (sorry to hear that you have to buy another cable though...)
E-bay is the best place to source parts quickly and cheaply IMHO, just have to watch the feedback scores and shipping fees, which is where I have the biggest problem with Mike's, a valve stem that costs under $3 and I was charged $11.87 shipping!!! (it came in a small envelope that was stamped $1.43, and took over two weeks to arrive) I'll never use them again for anything.
There are way to many ways to find parts for these bikes than having to bend over and take it like that...
Oh, and did I mention that the valve stem core was missing???

I'm so glad to hear that someone else here has a problem with Mike's!, (sorry to hear that you have to buy another cable though...)
E-bay is the best place to source parts quickly and cheaply IMHO, just have to watch the feedback scores and shipping fees, which is where I have the biggest problem with Mike's, a valve stem that costs under $3 and I was charged $11.87 shipping!!! (it came in a small envelope that was stamped $1.43, and took over two weeks to arrive) I'll never use them again for anything.
There are way to many ways to find parts for these bikes than having to bend over and take it like that...
Oh, and did I mention that the valve stem core was missing???

Why would you buy 1 valve stem............winging for the sake of winging :confused: didn't know mikes sells valve stems and if you could i think it would be hard to weld the valve top on square :doh:.

I live in Australia and have never waited more than 10 days from the date of payment till it reaches the post office.

If you set up an account (email and password) for mikes then it will give you a shipping price for each part you put into your cart, (accumulative if more than one part) that way you can decide weather to buy the part or not. If it is a valve stem seal you bought then why would you buy one. :shrug: and the shipping to here (Aus) would be $24.00 min on any part.

Could have driven (Fuel cost and wear and tear on your car) to the nearest dealer who may or may not have had the part, for the cost of a genuine Yamaha part:yikes: or may have had to wait for the part to be ordered in.................:wink2:

Valve stem? seriously? anybody that sells motorcycle tires would have a valve stem ... as for Mike's clutch cable I bought my bike with a broken cable and bought one from Mike ... never lubed it just installed it and rode all summer into fall without a single problem. I also bought a 2 into 1 and a taper tip muffler ... went on good sounded good but because of weak forks I scraped a few dozen times and broke the bottom attachment bolt LOL I decided to go back to a two into two purely for the looks.

LOL, yea sold as tubeless Tyre valve Part #01-0167. funny how the mind grabs a thought and associates it with another thing

Where do these clutch cables fail? I'll have to take a look at mine and maybe just swap it if it's a problem part. I don't need it snapping out on the road somewhere, when the original cable was fine for 20 years.

I spent well over $3000 on parts from Mikes.. I did have one item returned and was credited. There was an problem I had, can't remember now, it obviously wasn't a big issue after all... if I can't remember it. At the time I was a bit bent over it.

I wouldn't have taken on the xs project if his site wasn't available. I've done Honda projects before and had a freaking nightmare trying to get bits that were necessary.

Oh yeah, and I bought a horn that didn't work, so I just threw it out. Some of the parts are what they are... if your exhaust goes a bit rusty after a few years, spend a few hundred and put a new one on.. that's the way it is sometimes.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-57.html#products
Scroll down you wise ass...
and as far as buying one valve stem, ... you OBVIOUSLY DO NOT live where I do... because there are no shops within an hour and a half drive from me...not worth the drive.
Car one's do not fit,or maybe those Ausie junks do I don't know about those. Just seems to me that you ran your mouth to quick.
As far as buying and shipping goes, that is how I make my living. Buying and selling MOTORCYCLES AND PARTS... so I don't need any help with the process of it all.
My opinion is that Mikes charges far to much on most of the parts for these things and their service to me personally was a little lacking.

Still no valve stem here.........now if you are talking about a ......Tubeless Tire Valve.....That's a different story

The tubeless tire valve is commonly referred to as a valve stem in most garages and tire shops. ... but that is still something I would buy locally ... even if I had to drive an hour and a half ... I would be sure though that I had more than one reason for making the drive.

Back