Another fine mess Ollie!

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Chuck M built up a 700 motor from parts I had in the shed.
20201024_080933.jpg
The #s matching chassis
1603544069374711955344.jpg
Per normal gggGary practice, have little idea where this is headed.
But there's going to be a lot of trips to the shed.
First up; scrub the frame a bit, dab on some paint, then toss the motor in.

Last edited:
Think she's going to be Ollie!
fine-mess-you-ve-gotten-me-into-oliver-hardy-79387.jpg

Frame isn't bad, must of mostly lived indoors, usual rust where the battery overflow tube wasn't reattached. :banghead: other than that just typical weld areas and cable rubs rust.

Not a lot?
8 plate clutch.
welded crankshaft
the hoos front guide
new cam chain the usual seals gaskets etc.
I had wanted to put in a MikesXS overdrive 5th gear but the one I had didn't fit the tranny in this motor. :shrug:
It may get that set of pumper carbs from the Grizzly bear.
Got distracted went and looked at a micro CNC mill but it was tinkertoy enough that I dug in on a low price and got turned down.
Don't think it was much of a loss, had a nice fall car ride out of it. Went by this in Delavan WI
20201024_164107.jpg

Last edited:
So ..... will this be another addition to the collection or a "flipper"?
gif-flipper-7.gif

As always; I have no plan, and I'm sticking to it!
The XS shed count is still strong of a dozen. How many can I get done, then how many would I be willing to maintain?
Got that pair of pentagram wheels... :cool:
There's an FZR600 fork out there....:whistle: But these tubes look real good.
Those handlebars gotta go, can't do that position anymore, not even for short rides. :notworthy:

Last edited:
Yes, I like lower than stock handlebars (and the Euro bend) but too low is, well, too low and no good. Cable re-routing is also very difficult when the bars are too low like this, and with drag bars too. Those are another style that get a "thumbs down" from me.

Cool ! Another XS bike show in progress. You and lakeview sure do keep the rest of us entertained :)
Do you at least know which tank / body color yet? And I agree on the "plan" those just change anyway lol.
-R
Not sure, I like a red or silver frame, but that's a lotta work.
Distractions.
Got called to help with a building inspection.
DSCN0681.JPG

May need a few repairs
DSCN0675.JPG

Gotta watch where you step.

Dont leave the van unattended in strange places.
View attachment 178075
There will now be a short break in your scheduled programming. Stand by for further notices.

Could it be that Gary has found his mid weight , feet forward , smooth a silk , comfy cruiser? With a back rest no less! :cool:

Sheesh tough crowd!
Could it be that Gary has found his mid weight , feet forward , smooth a silk , comfy cruiser? With a back rest no less! :cool:
mid weight might be a bit lenient, 575 lbs dry, everything else is right.... Shadow 1100 sabre
Diet you say! Downsizing I heard!:poke: :laugh: :wtf:

new tires, new battery, this spring. Not perfect but it'll clean up pretty nice,.2 seats leatherlyke hard bags.

Has a short he sez, I'm no mechanic, bro in law was s'posed to fix it, never showed I bought a different bike, it sat all summer.............
Low balled him and he bit, and that's what I know.
AGM Battery shows 5 volts so it's on the hope n a prayer charging regime.
See the three stator wire connector is gone three crimps in it's place....
Some homebrew wiring for stereo in the batwing and mebbie the front spot lights.
the game is afoot.
lashing up the new battery from Madness to see what happens. Hoping for brrm brrm noises.

Last edited:
Oh boy, a flamer, lol. Those paint jobs always crack me up.

Back