another 'is this lathe a good deal' thread...

deadchef

xsbobblehead
Reaction score
here is the link -> http://nmi.craigslist.org/tls/4489400311.html

here is some additional info...

this is just a tabletop one, 36" long. I be leave its a 1941, belt driven 110 electric motor. It's a Chraftsman. Made by Atlas. It has an auto feed, it has the gears for threading, but I have never done so. It has a 4 jaw chuck, (a little harder to use), but there are 3 jaws out there, you would have to find one. It has a face plate w off center clamps, has a drill chuck, 3 end stock centers. It has a butcher block, w steel top that was made for it. It is in good shape, never been painted, all original. It also has an assortment of carbide cutters. It's a hobby lathe. I bought it for $600, and am pretty firm on the price... Just an FYI.

love to hear your thoughts! thanks!

Hey, deadchef! That lathe is most likely an Atlas manufactured, Sears Craftsman badged model 101.21400. Probably made in the later 50's, it has the Timken tapered bearing headstock (considered better by many), not like my almost identical 101.07301, manufactured earlier, which uses bronze bushings. These are often referred to as 'Atlas 618', a 6-inch swing, 18" between centers.

More info: http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1

I joined a machinist forum awhile back, largely because they have an extensive 'Atlas and Craftsman' sub-forum. Lots of info in here:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86&s=&pp=20&daysprune=-1&sort=dateline&order=asc

Here's a Yahoo group specific to this model:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/atlas618lathe/info

And more: http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/atlas/atlas.html

Last edited:
As far as it being a good deal, many of the hobby-machinist forum experts would probably say 'maybe'. Most would want to do a close examination of the machine, and while contemplating, it'll get scarfed-up by a willing buyer, just like our XS machines. Many of the 'experts' have acquired similar or better for less, but they're active in these acquisitions, and know what to look for.

I'd recommend reading-up on these things first, but this one will likely disappear in a coupla' days. If you're floating in cash and want to get into this, I'd jump on it. Otherwise, read-up so you know what you're getting into, then plan out your search. In your neck of the woods machinery like this is relatively plentiful, so you've got options/opportunities that give you an advantage...

thanks twomany for the replies!

i've been searching for a couple years now, trying to find something sub $500 just to kinda get in the game. i have looked, like many others, at the asian machines but i'm wary as i've heard mixed reviews. sounds like they are getting better though?

i also don't want to invest a grand or more on something i know relatively little about. my hopes is that i can find something i can learn on for now without having a mint invested.

'my neck of the woods' is a bit deceiving. i'm in the 'tip of the mitt' so to speak so everything is a bit of a trek for me. this one is still an hour and a half away. most of the other deals i find are every bit of three hours or more away down state. rare to even see a metal lathe pop up in my county.

i very much appreciate the links. i believe i will head down after work and pick it up unless something just doesn't seem right. i will post more pics after i bring it home.

thank you!

My son picked one of these old Atlas pieces up a few months ago for 250 bucks. It needed one piece that cost, I think, 50 more. Parts are easily obtained apparently, the part he bought is brand new. It's a good hobby lathe, anything serious he will do where he works.

I have used a similar machine for the last two years. It was a friends that he bought but couldnt get the belt set up and some of the bearings changed. I got the pulleys set up and mounted the tensioner arms and the motor.

It worked great for being free, and i made alot of parts with it...

I recently moved and came across a friend selling a grizzly for like 4-500 bucks. Its a small lathe, a little bigger than the craftsman i was using. I have to say it is way nicer having a more modern lathe that feeds/threads/has good bearings in it.

Depeneds on what you want to do with it i guess. Usually i want to jump on it and get the part made quick...

Ahh, gotcha. Well, I think it looks like a hell of a deal. In fact, I would buy it myself if it was closer. I have a Southbend model from the 30's that went through WWII and was stamped by the War Production Board. The cabinetry that came below it is long gone and it is missing a few things. But, like you it also has a four jaw chuck and auto feed. Works great and I use it all the time. It will cut most softer metals with no problem. The hardened con rod pins that came with my CR500 rods, not so much. They needed to be shortened and I had to do that at work. I tried for about an hour at home, the poor girl was squealing somethin' awful. Good luck if you get it!

Hi deadchef,
any lathe is better than no lathe and from what you posted it looks like you got a bargain.
Don't sweat the 4-jaw, it'll take you a while to learn how to center the work but it gets quicker with practice.
After my retirement I interviewed for a part time lathe operator job.
Got your machinist's papers?
"Yes"
"Where from?"
"Rolls-Royce but I haven't turned metal for 40 years."
"Turn me this shaft and we'll see how you do."
The shaft was a simple thing for a hydraulic cylinder but the lathe had a 4-jaw chuck on it.
Took me a minute or so to center the shaft and a few more to turn down the end.
"You can start tomorrow, OK?"

so i got it. i watched it run and listened for any grinding or weird noises. was actually pretty quiet. came with lots of different gears, bits, books and other parts. overall looks to be in decent condition. some light surface rust, couple paint chips but nothing that shouldn't be expected for a machine this old. it is in fact a model 101.21400 that was made by atlas. also has a 1/2hp motor. everything seems good. can't wait to start learning how to use this rig!

B3147504-82C5-44C7-9FDA-C2A18DACC000_zps7xz8ag6g.jpg

2D2CD885-96AF-40AB-B713-99D48E9FBAE2_zpsogzdr4zo.jpg

A81A8D71-CCF2-47B1-AD24-D9F953ACB7FA_zpsqcixqwze.jpg

0468632E-78D5-4270-82F2-5F0C41B40862_zpswbhcnlfi.jpg

A0745D05-FBFF-4871-872C-84B3D669542F_zpsxxfn9tph.jpg

313B06AC-DDBC-4F37-8C64-61261B4EAB0F_zpsjduxricq.jpg

Hi deadchef,
nice bargain, congratulations. 3 things I don't see in the photos that you will need.
A copy of Machinery's Handbook. Any year, the machining data don't change much.
A set of disposable insert tungsten carbide lathe tools. The others cost less but the savings are not worth it.
An electronic caliper. Most likely, like myself, you do know how to read a Vernier but you can no longer see the f**king lines.

Wow! Nice! I love it when you buy some old piece of machinery and it comes with lots of extras! Digging through those boxes is always fun. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Back