Another minor wiring mystery

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
OK, when I tore into my bike's wiring to check out it's sudden death electrical problem
(which went away as mysteriously as it showed up after I pulled apart every last electrical connector and pushed them all back together again)
I found an orphan amongst the rats nest of plug-ins inside the headlamp bucket.
It's a green flat 2-pin plug in connector with a black and a black/white wire which disappear inside one of the wiring looms.
It was there when I pulled the headlight. I presume it's factory because I didn't put it there and there's no matching plug, green or otherwise, for it to mate with.
And everything works!
WTF, eh?

I had the same thing on my '71 over the weekend. Bike was fine with the headlight hanging by the wires but when I stuffed it back into the housing bucket the main fuse would blow. I took it back out a few times and same thing. I finally reshuffled all the wiring and it fixed its self.
By the way what is the Roll pin modification you did on your shifter?

IIRC it is the clutch safety switch. Which you have mentioned not having?

Hi WER,
that explains it! It must work "open circuit" because it's always been there and I'd have never been able to ride the bike out of the showroom otherwise.
And jussum,
once the shifter's spline gets the tiniest bit loose the engine vibration makes the spline in the shifter and the spline on it's shaft wear each other out so the shifter is always annoyingly loose.
Quick fixes don't last. A new shift lever won't bite down hard enough on a worn shaft and the trick of squeezing the shift lever's slot closed and re-cutting it wider with a hacksaw is only good for a month or so.
The rollpin fix is to slacken the pinchbolt, drill 1/8" diameter along the spline so that half the hole is in the shifter and the other half is in the shaft, tap in a 1/8" diameter rollpin, tighten the pinchbolt and then trim the rollpin to length with a Dremel tool.
Solid as a rock, so far.

Back