Another reason NA$CAR looks sissy.

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
blowntirepitstop-1.jpg

Rally is about the only real racing. The crashs in NASCAR are the only exciting things that happen.
Leo

Well, there's a difference (at least to me) between being "small-minded" and having a sense of humor about things. Seems to me like folks are getting awfully thin-skinned these days.

Probably just me, but after 22 years in the Navy and another 15 as a firefighter, there ain't much that gets under my skin. In those communities, if you got all puffed up and offended about something, it just made you a target. Best reaction was to either ignore it or hand it right back to 'em.

But then, that was before this became a kinder, gentler world...

Well, there's a difference (at least to me) between being "small-minded" and having a sense of humor about things. Seems to me like folks are getting awfully thin-skinned these days.

Probably just me, but after 22 years in the Navy and another 15 as a firefighter, there ain't much that gets under my skin. In those communities, if you got all puffed up and offended about something, it just made you a target. Best reaction was to either ignore it or hand it right back to 'em.

But then, that was before this became a kinder, gentler world...

+1.... well put

never been to a nascar race, but I think it's only exciting if you are there and experience the speed, the noise and all the stuff around it, but to watch on TV it seems rather dull.

Actually, television is killing attendance at most of the larger, long standing and most popular NASCAR venues as most people prefer their big screen over traffic jams, waiting in line, high ticket prices, not being able to see the entire track, expensive food, hot sun, rain, obnoxious drunken fans, fights and traffic jams getting home. None of the larger tracks are selling out and several of the smaller tracks also fail to fill the seats.

I guess my biggest problem is because I actually see car racing from behind the wheel at times (not often enough!) and after driving Winston Cup cars a couple of times in ovals, I much prefer road racing. Instead of straight... left... straight... left... straight... left... straight... left, etc it's left... straight... hard brake... right... long straight... hard brake... left... straight... hard brake OHSHITREAR TIRESAREBADLOOSEBECAUSEIMISSEDTHEBRAKINGMARKERBRAKEDWAYTOOLATEANDCONSEQUENTLYI"MMISSINGTHEAPEX!!!! :yikes: somehow manage to save it... right... straight, uphill, listen to the engine race as the rear tires come off the ground... downhill into tight left hander... all this with varying speed cars around you, some you pass, some crowd and pass you, well, you get the idea.

When I used to race GNCC's, it was not unusual to have 30-40 bikes on one start row. It was always a 'dead engine' start; I won't bore you with the starting drill. But when you got the thing lit and took off, everyone was headed for the first turn. Now all these riders are wanting to be first through the turn which is approximately 5 feet wide. The survivors then headed for the first woods section, there is supposed to be one line but of course everyone finds their own. I once got passed by Randy Hawkins, he hit a small clay mound about 5 feet off the race line and went OVER MY HEAD to pass me.

Yea yea.. BUT... What else is available to watch in the racing world on T.V. other than IRL EVERY WEEK? (USA) Watch the SPEED channel? only truck series on there.. If it has wheels and a motor I'm interested. NASCAR, obviously not popular around this forum, offers a different track every week and familiarity with it's talent that is every bit as interesting as following football, hockey, baseball, etc. And I don't watch sports. If there was a flat-track dirt race every week on T.V. that would hold my attention MUCH more. But until that happens(never) I get into NASCAR and enjoy it.. (rant over, I feel better:))

I think motor racing is boring. I think bicycle racing is incredibly exciting. I'd guess most folks on the forum, and in general, find watching dudes in funny clothes riding bicycles for 6+ hours to see who crosses the line first is a waste of time. But, the motor race and the bicycle race have a lot in common.

They both involve complex tactics, teamwork, patience, drafting, pacing, perfect timing, energy conservation, alliances amongst opponents, and hopefully sportsmanship. Too, they both involve drama, unexpected mid game changes, and even similar commentary. Adding up all these variables makes for an exciting race. But, it only makes sense if you know what you're watching.

VS. gets it. This commercial gives goose bumps.

Back