Antigravity 4 cell

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just wanted to see if anyone on here is running this battery? My bike is kick start only, 1980 stock electronic ignition, and both the headlight and taillight are LED, no turn signals. I've read some members were running small batteries but I am running into issues with this staying charged and I am thinking it's just too small for a 650.

I also notice even with a new stator the battery only reads 13.5v while the bike is running istead of ~14v.
Seems I can go about 20 miles then start having issues with misfires.

Any more details on the battery? Like part number or something so we could be 100% sure what you are using?

Just for fun what voltage do you have coming out of the battery with key off?

Have you checked the voltage at the point it starts missing?

I used a 4 cell Ballistic Performance battery when I was building my drop seat bobber. It has been performing great for two years , my bike like yours is kick only. I went with it because of it's small size in the beginning.

You're really not giving us enough (or the proper) info here. The battery reads 13.5v while the bike is running ..... how? At idle or revved to 3 grand? At idle that would be a good voltage reading, revved up not so much. If it is reading that at both idle and revved, you have no charging going on. That would pretty much explain the bike dying out after 20 miles or so. It's running off the charge in the battery and once that runs down, the ignition will start acting up, and eventually quit working all together.

I have a Shorai lithium ion battery and fully charged is around 13.5 volts from a listed lithium charger. Go thru the charging guide step by step to see what component is not working right. If you dont, good chance you will kill your expensive battery.

cool, yeah I'm planning on it once I get the bike running on these new carbs. I was just curious if any members were running such a small battery

I did run a 4s lithium, and it ran fine even with the extra load of EFI and using the e-start. However a failed rotor killed it, stopped charging and getting home ran it too low. If you have space I reccomend the earthx etx12a battery. It is still small, but it has over/under charge protection. It costs twice what a 4s battery does at $160, but if anything causes the bike to stop charging the battery won't be trash.

However a failed rotor killed it, stopped charging and getting home ran it too low.

This is the exact reason I have installed a volt meter on my 1983 bike. When my "new" rotor failed, I saw it on there and went straight home. Wish I had a volt meter on my 77 when my rotor went. The new AGM was garbage after that. I like to look at what volts are at while riding peace of mind I guess!

Finally got it running. No charge at all. I got a new stator, new ricks regulator and this battery is relatively new. Let the troubleshooting begin

Back