Any brewers out there?

Sometimes. Haven't done any pure grain, mostly lme, but not many suppliers around here.
My Honey makes some kickarse Farm Wine from fruit trees and berry bushes that we have. To hell with bookay and nose, I want a 'hit'..

- our sensibeerlla is pretty awesome...2oz per 5 gallon works pretty damn well:cheers:

I don't make beer but I love microbrews and the brew pubs up in the city! I could drink them everything day

No Alcohol but last year I grew a 1/2 acre of tobacco and hung in a huge spare room upstairs...........bet it will make a bale.........only could get half of it in the picture........(297 flue cured.....air drying this batch)......no wacky backey......:D

Maybe this year I will try to brew some..........

xsjohn

Attachments

• Tobacco on Ceiling Curing.jpg
    Tobacco on Ceiling Curing.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 181
Travis.......not a real expert on tobaccos....but learned some things last year..there is Burley and this is 287 flue cured (wrote it down when he told me what it was) what they grow around here where I live in NC...probably lots of varieties...it is a larger plant and grows maybe 6-7 feet tall......the Burley is a smaller plant...........they put the leaves in kilns and slowly heat them to cure brown in about 5 days ...starting at 85-90 and going 170 degree max.....controling the humidity carefully during the process.....a local farmer gave me a tray of them....like 275 or so in the tray......would like to grow some Turkish this year to mix it..........but then again I should quit smoking............:banghead:

xsjohn

Attachments

• TObacco Plant Tray.jpg
    TObacco Plant Tray.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 152
Well, at least your not putting in extra nicotine like RJ Reynolds & such.And if ya gotta smoke, that sure as hell beats $8 a pack.

Now, back to the liquor. When I was in school, we had a still in the house we had rented.Good ol' reliable Penelope, she always had a drink ready for us. She was propane fired, with a heat regulator of course.:D:thumbsup:

Not yet. But soon. Been working on the brewstand for awhile. I'm going to start with 10 gallon all grain batches. Nothing like going all in on the first hand. I know everybody likes pic's but still trying to learn how from my phone.

Not yet. But soon. Been working on the brewstand for awhile. I'm going to start with 10 gallon all grain batches. Nothing like going all in on the first hand. I know everybody likes pic's but still trying to learn how from my phone.
All grain is the way to go but I would strongly suggest you find another AG homebrewer and help them brew a batch or two before going solo. It's not that hard but there are many places you can screw up and techniques which need to be picked up. Cheers:cheers:

This wasn't the thread where I thought I would introduce myself, but it seems appropriate. I brew my own when I have the time... late last year, though, I made 4 batches of cider since it's a lot less work than beer. I built my own kegerator and now I'm working on a grain grinder setup.

But my brewing is going to take a back seat for a while... a good friend has an '80s XS650 that has literally been sitting in a barn for at least 10 years. I think it's all there... that and my newly minted motorcycle license indicates that I may not have as much time for brewing as I did in the past.

Thanks for the advise. I do have a couple of buddies that brew and they will be glad to help when the time comes. I hope that I enjoy brewing as much as I have building the stand.
Eric

i just noticed a dust-covered bottle of my last batch sitting in my father-in-law-to-be's pantry, guess he never tried it ): it is at least 6 years old now though... not sure how great it is anymore...

zymurgist, welcome to the site. :cheers:

Regarding brewing beer.. I'd love to try it someday but I'm not sure if I have the patience. How long does it take for a batch?

I did make some $2 gallons of wine once with juice concentrate, sugar, baking yeast, and a balloon. :laugh:
... It was nasty.

I did make some $2 gallons of wine once with juice concentrate, sugar, baking yeast, and a balloon. :laugh:
... It was nasty.

That just sounds nasty. What were you thinking?

Brewing beer can take from 2 hours to a full day depending on complexity and technique used. An ale can be ready to drink in a week if you keg and force carb or 3 weeks if you bottle and prime for carbonation. Lagers typically around 2 months of which most is spent letting the beer sit in a cold spot. These times are typical but certain beers take much longer, the Russian Imperial I brewed on 12/31/09 has been tasted but won't be consumed until August.

Best site for understanding the process is probably John Palmer's:
www.howtobrew.com

What was I thinking? I was thinking about $2 gallons of wine! haha..

Actually it was something I read on the internet about 8 years ago and wanted to try it just to see if I could make it work and to see how good or bad it would taste. I didn't drink it, but had a couple of friends who drank quite a bit of it. They had some pretty bad hangovers the next day but I'm not sure if it was from a bad batch or just from them drinking too much of it. :shrug: That was a long time ago and they're all still alive so it couldn't have been that bad for them..

Thanks for the info about the brewing times. And thanks for the link!

Back