Any experience with this 2 into 1 exhaust? Thoughts...?

Snikare

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking about exhausts and would like to install a 2 into 1. Mike's is selling this header and it looks nice. My other thought would be to have a custom 2 into 1 buit to my desire, however this looks like the easiest option. Has anyone installed it? Any thoughts on how it fits, how it performs..?
https://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0767.html

Thanks for the input.

They'll drag. Look at the Norton Seeley 2 into 1 header for some ideas.It flat out produces HP by pulling at the port to aid scavenging. Working the exhaust port would also be beneficial when combined with a good exhaust system.

good power, bad fit, needs the Heiden/Mike's XS needle kit to tune right.

collector wanted to go through my rear brake pedal axis, had to use spacers between the pipe and collector.

cocktail muffler on it now, can't use the rear foot peg 'cuz it'll melt on the muffler if I fold it down.
look elsewhere for 2-1
like Gordon Scott or something.

I saw a video now and finally found a thread about this header. Several people say it all comes down to how you mount it... a little finess gets it to sit tighter against the frame, wherein there are no dragging issues.

I haven't heard the needle issue before. That's interesting. I emailed Gordon Scott, he's not taking any custom orders any longer. He has some nice stuff, but I really don't want my exhaust to be around my legs, and I'm pretry set on a 2 inot 1. I want to tuck it under the right peg.

I was thinking about having a custom exhaust made with the collector up in the front near the tach plug, and then bringing the larger pipe back past the peg to a muffler. Would the shorter headpipe really kill so much performance to make it not worth the fab?

Are there any other 2 into 1's that are on the market worth buying to make it a cheaper and easier build?

I saw a video now and finally found a thread about this header. Several people say it all comes down to how you mount it... a little finess gets it to sit tighter against the frame, wherein there are no dragging issues.

I haven't heard the needle issue before. That's interesting. I emailed Gordon Scott, he's not taking any custom orders any longer. He has some nice stuff, but I really don't want my exhaust to be around my legs, and I'm pretry set on a 2 inot 1. I want to tuck it under the right peg.

I was thinking about having a custom exhaust made with the collector up in the front near the tach plug, and then bringing the larger pipe back past the peg to a muffler. Would the shorter headpipe really kill so much performance to make it not worth the fab?

Are there any other 2 into 1's that are on the market worth buying to make it a cheaper and easier build?

I made my own, its got 16 inches of baffle in them, goes and sounds alright. I've got EX500 carbs on mine.

GLtxGn9.jpg

I used those ones from Mikes and they turned blue right away and I just put a short turn out on end. Here is a stock set that I added a Harley pipe too.

Attachments

• 1st bike.jpg
    1st bike.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 655
The vacuum signal at the carbs is WAY different than with a 2-2 exhaust. Even changing mufflers with these pipes, I have to change my jetting. It's pretty wild how different things are.

I'd emailed Heiden a couple years back, asked them about the exhaust and needles. Their answer was the two were developed together. Forum search should bring up that post, I put it in a couple threads.

have a set sitting under the bench ,found fitment to 447 frame didn't work .r/h side just touched the frame (might have worked with 2 gaskets) mikes then told me they were for the special frame not the 447

I had high hopes for these pipes... My frame is an SE, wich means it should be a good fit. And I can see having to re-jet with the change, but jetting is an easy swap... I wish exhaust was like shoes, and you could try them on before buying...

My Dad is running the complete system on his '83 Heritage Special. There are reports of it being difficult to install, but if you leave everything loose until the final fitment, it went on pretty easy.
His bike is stock except for K&N filters in modified stock air boxes. He said he can tell a difference with this set-up vs. the Commando exhaust that was on there before. It makes more power, but DOES move the powerband up a bit. He's happy with it.

BTW, he's an old dirt biker....big guy....and he has Progressive springs and shocks on that bike. He can ride the snot out of it and it hasn't dragged yet.

That looks really good. I'm gonna give it a try.

I'd love to find a used set though. If anyone has got a set gathering dust, PM me or contact me through the Web addresses in my signature...

have just bought a set of delkevic ,fitting them over next week or so ,how have you found them,im running vm34s..have you had to change your carb settings much etc

I'm pleased with the Delkevic 2-into-1. I have both baffles installed, after trying it first with just one and finding it too loud for my taste. I bought them on eBay & had an initial fitment issue that Delkevic stood behind - good people to deal with. I had HHB Speedster pipes before buying the Delkevic system, didn't like having to remove them to change oil. I did not change any jetting from what my signature shows for the Keihin CVK's I have - I can't see any difference in how the bike runs after installing the Delkevic system; it pulls very smoothly through the gears with no hesitation or flat spots that I can identify. The headers are showing a light golden brown coloring. With both headers running so close to the engine case, they probably radiate more heat into it than the stock 1-into-1 Yamaha system does - I'm thinking about getting some DEI pipe wrap to see if it makes any difference - I've got Dogbunny's dipstick thermometer, so I would be able to see if exhaust wrap had any effect.

The gaskets shipped with the pipes were too small OD; Delkevic quickly replaced them with correctly sized ones. The holes in the collars that must fit over the studs in the cylinder head were spaced just a bit too closely to slide over the studs properly; because the collars are not removable/replaceable, I had a local machinist elongate them slightly so they fit. Delkevic covered my expense to do this. This all happened last Fall; I'm sure they've corrected these issues long since.

thanks aldo ,am fitting today so good to know what to look out for ,noticed on mine getting the silencer to fit all the way over the collector pipe is going to be a battle as looks to be a very tight fit just to get started...sorry snikare ,don't mean to hijack just these systems aren't that common here

Back