Any gamblers on here ? heres a nice little win

Almost lost my hearing in my left ear when the wife excitedly yelled "bingo", for a $1,500 prize. That's a lotsa money for a struggling young couple in the mid-70s.

Stories of big winnings are quite enticing.

Stories of big lotto winners going completely broke after a year are an interesting take on reality.

I try to envision the stories of the billions-and-billions losers...

Anyone had a nice win ?
92 I think it was... coming back from a 6mo.deployment in the desert, we stopped at RAF Mildenhall in England to prep our birds for the big trip across the pond. Spent 12 hrs. fixing our jets and put 'em to bed. We were beat, but still had to hit the NCO Club on the way back to the barracks. A beer was a buck and a half. Gave the barkeep 2 bucks. Normally I'd leave the 2 quarters on the bar for a tip. On a whim though, I walked over to a one armed bandit and dropped a quarter in.... zip. Dropped the other quarter in and started to walk over to where my buddies were sittin' and the bells and lights lit up.... 7's across. Hot damn!! Payout was a thousand bucks. The machine paid out 50 quarters or so and the barkeep gives you a ticket for the remainder.... Everyone's congratulating me and I drop another few quarters in the machine. They all start laughing at me for wastin' my money... when it hits 7's across again. Long story short, that machine hit 7's... seven times that night. 7 grand. Had to go back the next day 'cause they didn't have enough to cash me out. I noticed that the machine had an "Out of Order" sign on it. :D
My one and only big win story.

Almost lost my hearing in my left ear when the wife excitedly yelled "bingo", for a $1,500 prize. That's a lotsa money for a struggling young couple in the mid-70s.

that was a heck of a lot of money ! what did you do with the winnings?

in 1973 I was offered 2x small terraced cottages for £500 ( $630)
All I had in the World at that time was my old beat up 650 Triumph Thunderbird T6 and that was only worth about $25 at the time .

Co-incidentally it would have been around mid 70s I was offered a Jaguar E type V12 for the same money. $630 !

We have many variations of state run lotteries here in Arizona. One of them is called The Pick , where you choose 6 numbers. If all 6 hit, you get a Million dollars. There is also a payout for hitting five numbers and depending on how many people have five numbers, determines the payout. So , thirty years ago, I hit 5 numbers and won $1400 . There were a lot of people that had 5 numbers that week.

The very next week, only one person had 5 numbers and the payout was $75,000! :eek:

I don’t think like a gambler and figured , I’d never be “ up “ again, so I never played again! :D

I am not a gambler at all...but I am a lover of NFL football....and we here in Canada have Pro-Line sports lottery site...
Back in 2002 I picked 6 long shot teams,who had been playing well, but not winning,to win on one particular week.
My wager was a lowly $5....and low and behold all six teams won...playing out $9695.00...not a large win in lottery terms...but certainly a good return on a $5 investment....and a timely one as well as it was 2 months before the birth of my daughter.
And like you Mailman...I dont think like a gambler...so I have only played maybe 2 times since...I live by the saying "Lightning never strikes twice"

that was a heck of a lot of money ! what did you do with the winnings?

I recall some of it went for bills and furniture.
We were hurtin'.

We were urged to attend this huge bingo hall, mostly packed with senior retirees, and friends of the mother-in-law. When she won, a lot of those folks were quite happy and congratulatory. They then strongly suggested that we quickly take our winnings and scram.

I heard that the place was raided shortly after that.

To this day, I suspected some sort of rigging, by some good-intentioned retirees...

Back