Any ideas what swing arm will work here?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Went junk picking yesterday and couldn't stop myself.... (sigh)

So this frame looks cool, chome moly, weighs like 20 pounds. wondering if there is a swing arm that would bolt in or am I designing (modding) something to work?
Any comment welcome.

xstrip12-7 009 (800x600).jpg

xstrip12-7 007 (800x492).jpg

xstrip12-7 008 (800x598).jpg

Doesnt look exactly like a champion, and most of those were nickel plated... Anything stamped on it? Great looking frame! I am jealous! Kinda looks like one that some guys in Kansas used to make. I cant remember the name tho...too many years.

Yes basically a champion knock off by a local frame "guru"
the dimensions are 7 15/16" ie stock xs 650 width, then 2 1/8" 3 1/4" center 2 1/8" It appears to be ready to ream to a standard swing arm pivot bolt size. So is the drill to cut out the center section of a "stock swing arm? It just seems so elegant to run the swing arm pivot through the backbone to tie it all together structurally.
The body work is "Knight" that mean anything to anyone?

Correction 17 pounds :yikes:

More pics of it.

xsframe 002 (800x600).jpg

xsframe 003 (800x600).jpg

xsframe 004 (800x600).jpg

xsframe 005 (800x600).jpg

xsframe 006 (800x600).jpg

This won't be a simple project but it seems so worth doing!

Bought it from an old ice racer, he had two complete XS650 ice racers also. one was a monoshock. I didn't take pictures but might do that some time.

Some of the Honda's I've worked on have a swingarm that style. You could just make the tubes and bushings to fit that section, and weld up a whole new swingarm. Thats a super stiff setup compared to stock :)

I wish I had that frame, nice find

Take some measurements for me. The widest distance from mount to mount, and the width in between the mounts. I'll see what I have laying around and if it is similar.

If not, I can always machine you some new bushings for that and you can build a swingarm off of it.

Take some measurements for me. The widest distance from mount to mount, and the width in between the mounts. I'll see what I have laying around and if it is similar.

If not, I can always machine you some new bushings for that and you can build a swingarm off of it.

over all 7 15/16" plate to plate ie stock xs 650 width, then 2 1/8" / 3 1/4" center/ 2 1/8"

Comparison; this frame weighs 17 pounds a bare stock frame -the rear loop = 46 pounds.

Yeah man, thats light! I had an Aluminum Drag Frame for a CB-4 a while back that weighed 19 LBS, and it was super light. I'll do some digging for ya, or we'll make a swingarm to fit if you promise I can ride it :laugh:

Check out sportster swingers. They are that style, as are most modern MX bikes, and ther aluminum too. Bitchin frame by the way!!!

Thanks for all the input, suggestions and offers of help so far. It almost seems criminal to bolt a pig stockish swing arm to such a light weight frame. Which has me thinking where this needs to go. My uneducated guess is that even after completing the additional engine mounts and perhaps a bit more stiffening in the head area this frame is still going to be flexable. I mean no matter how strong, tubing this thin must be a little "whippy" or am I confused about that? For now I am headed towards a traditional tracker look so two shocks, not to mention the mounts are on the frame already. I do have an SV650 swing arm that "could" be made to work. The swing arm mounts are about 2" closer to the the engine than stock so a bit longer swing arm is probably a good thing. Keep those cards and letters coming.
I have also been looking at this; Flea bay Item number:170574349243 as an arm to work with.

You'll be surprised how stiff chromoly is. I'd not worry about any extra bracing unless you are a hefty feller over 220 Lbs or so. If you are a bigger dude, you might just wanna pass this thing up to someone else instead of mutitaling it.

That said, Chromoly tubing it TOUGH and used in all kinds of applications where weight AND strength are important. A sweet custom boxed aluminum swingarm would be a nice touch to this frame. 6061 Alloy, heat treated and then Clear Powdercoated...

See, you should just give me that frame already, I have a plan :D

My plate overflowth and I am open to suggestions.............

I am headed toward if the frame is going to be a bit flexy anyways then light is the key word and I will try to keep everything light even at the expense of rigid. if the frame can be considered stiff enough then "more rigid front end etc, might be the way to go. Stock alloy wire wheels are my current wheel thought. I do have a TX750 rear with it's bigger drum.

I'd go light as possible. You have to remember, racing frames are built for a purpose, and that often involves a short life span, minimal useage, etc.. If you are planning on building a street bike on a race chassis, I'd save as much weight as possible to keep the lifespan of the chassis at its max. Alloy Wheels, Kick Only, Light Exhaust, alloy tank, etc... Build it like a race bike would have been built, and you'll get a decent life out of it.

I like the way you think! Yeah, the tiny light knight tank and seat and short trips would be my use of it. As much for show as go to be honest! I have to call a guy who has a "hotted up" XS1B engine in a broken early frame.....

Last edited:
I don't think a Sporster swing arm will fit, they bolted to the out side of the frame. I thingk an older , mid 70's, big twin swing arm might fit. They even sell one with adjustable shock mounts.

Back