Any musicians in the house?

Played the trumpet and guitar in high school... late sixties. Got 3 guitars in the basement I keep meaning to dust off and get new strings for. Maybe one day.... :rolleyes:

Fiddle, since I was a toddler. Took a 30 year break, but still remember most of it. New strings are $50 - $100+ a set now :D And there's just four of them.

Vlad, I play at the guitar. I don't play it well, I play at it. For about the last 50 years. You'd think I'd be better at it by now, but I can play lots of cords, and play things that sound like songs. :rock: Can't read music or tab, :shrug: so I have to "finger" everything out... Three guitars and two basses. My children are the real talent, however. One was a state level clarinet player, plays piano, guitar, violin, and ukulele. The other is a drummer, plays keyboards, and bass. They are simply amazing. Musta got it from their mother...

When I was a boy I played in the high school band (oboe - believe it or not) and then I wanted to play in the "Pep" band at basketball games etc. and the oboe was simply too quiet to be heard so I picked up the trombone, euphonium and several of the saxophones (they all play essentially the same and have the same fingering patterns - all that varies is the size and weight).

In university I picked up the sousaphone (the huge wrap-around marching tuba) because the Queen's Band wore full-dress Scottish regalia and that was an unbelievably effective chick magnet. In fact, I marched in the 1982 Grey Cup parade in Toronto playing the sousaphone while wearing a kilt and a hip-to-ankle leg cast due to one of my endless bouts with knee issues.

Last edited:
Been playing guitar off and on for years. Still in the amateur ranks.
I do however have a large collection of Yamaha guitars dating back to the 60s. They had some cool designs.

Have one Yamaha electric guitar that I'm still learning on. Also enjoy building clone pedals from schematics on the Internet , and putting them into whatever enclosures I happen to have around.
pedals.JPG

Love the Spam pedal. Probably a better use than actually eating it. What does it do?

There's a simple 3 transistor Tremolo circuit inside. Sounds quite decent actually.
The Spam tasted better than expected, hadn't had any in about 30 years.

Funny about the Spam. I too had been Spamless for many years. Then a couple years ago I found out my 2 neighbors (they are also brothers) had never had it. I invited them over when SWMBO was away and we had Spam and eggs.. They weren't impressed and I realized nostalgia is overrated at least where canned meat is involved.
Do you ever sell any of your pedals? Would be a great conversation piece in the "pickin parlor"

Yes, sold a few, traded a few. I'm selling the Spam one this weekend. They are a interesting to have on a pedal board, inexpensive to make (if you don't count your time.....), and I have to say that the OCD and Tube Screamers sound pretty good. Here's the lastest flock.........(the Death Metal was one of my trades).
8a.JPG

Ive got a couple of Resto’s cast pewter XS650 emblems for my Café bike and lemme tell ya - they are beautifully made.

I strongly recommend him.

Pete

Back