Any Plumbers out there?

lidirtrider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I got a few questions about my bathroom remodel. I'm in in Long Island NY, so anyone from the area would be great, but I'm sure any plumber can help. If you feel like taking a phone call, just private message me your number.

Basically I'm just tying up the DWV system and I'm not sure about a few things. I'll describe as best I can, and try to throw up some pics tomorrow.

So here is the bathroom layout:
From left to right, looking at the plumbing wall, I have the tub/shower, then the toilet, kitchen sink from opposite side of wall, then bathroom sink. The main vent stack is in between the tub and the toilet, and runs straight up and out the roof, and straight down through the basement and into the sewer. The 2 sinks are not back to back, but are next to each other on the line.

So here is how I am thinking of running all the drains and vents. Seem OK? Any suggestions? The toilet should always be lowest fixture into the stack correct?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DWV plan.jpg
    DWV plan.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 116
I'm not a plumber, but have done a bit of rework myself. Your diagram looks like it will work. I always test fit my runs and conections, mark alignment locations with marker and then glue them up accordingly . My plumber friend tells me to always quarter turn the pvc welds when you push them together and hold for 30 secs. I guess your using 2 inch pvc for the sinks, 3 inch for the toilet and splicing into an existing 4 inch stack? Is your stack cast iron pipe?

Yes, 2 inch for sinks, 3 for toilet. Replaced cast iron stack with pvc. The old stack had all the drains connected into 1 fitting with 3 inlets. I cant find that in pvc, so I have the sinks and tub into a double sanitary tee, and the toilet into another tee.

Code will vary by state, that New York crap acts differently than Wisconsin crap don't you know?

But usually drains and vents can be (are) combined. without knowing the distances from the stack and locations an actual diagram is tough.
Fixtures close to the stack don't need a vent if there aren't second floor fixtures on this stack . Many codes allow the tub to be wet vented with the lav drain/vent. If the drains aren't buried 1 1/2" for the lavs. 2" for tub and lav combined is fine/preferred. Don't oversize your drains. Generally all the vents will be 1 1/2" and are tee'd together, one line back to the stack.

This site shows a bunch of typical scenarios.
http://afaeryorchardproject.blogspot.com/2013/05/toilet-vent-stack-diagram.html

From memory no vent needed horizontal distances from stack
1 1/2" 36"
2" 48"
3" 72"
4" 96"

Remember cast iron is very heavy don't go chopping into a cast iron vent until the pipe above is properly supported, more than one DIY has learned this the hard way....

Last edited:
Back