Any polishing tricks from the days of yore?

OdysseusXS

XS650 padawan
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I finally grew a pair and went out and bought the can of paint stripper, realising that no amount of polishing was going to budge 30 year old clear coat aged on to the engine's side covers. Worked a treat, came off like before my eyes. So far I have spent an hour or so working away on the L/H side cover. I'm using a technique which involves a tube of Autosol (best damn polish in the world) and the ancient technique known only as L.O.L.C (lots of little circles). As you can see, it's slowly working. How do I get rid of the deeper pitting? I know the best way to do this is to take the cover right off the bike, but as this is my daily driver, I'd like to polish them on the bike if possible. So who has the polishing tricks? All suggestions gratefully accepted.

ODXS :banghead:

Attachments

• lh.jpg
    lh.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 260
  • lh2.jpg
    lh2.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 252
  • lh closeup.jpg
    lh closeup.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Hey everybody,

I finally grew a pair and went out and bought the can of paint stripper, realising that no amount of polishing was going to budge 30 year old clear coat aged on to the engine's side covers. Worked a treat, came off like before my eyes. So far I have spent an hour or so working away on the L/H side cover. I'm using a technique which involves a tube of Autosol (best damn polish in the world) and the ancient technique known only as L.O.L.C (lots of little circles). As you can see, it's slowly working. How do I get rid of the deeper pitting? I know the best way to do this is to take the cover right off the bike, but as this is my daily driver, I'd like to polish them on the bike if possible. So who has the polishing tricks? All suggestions gratefully accepted.

ODXS :banghead:
.................... hi guys yesterday i pulled my cv38 carbys apart and started cleaning them in whit vinigar it bought out sum crap i also autsol the top carby covers they look sweet and i think its about $10 and it lasts yonks regards oldbiker

Back