Any suggestions for a tiny low beam light (really small)

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I bought a used FJ600/XJ600 half fairing, which may end up on the XS.
The original headlight was a fairly large, rectangular one, and not what I have in mind. I sort of like the late 70s Bol D'or style, like on the Honda endurance racers, with 2 lamps not recessed into the fairing. PIAA have some very nice, round LED driving lighs, that would look just right for that. But they are only high beam spots, so I would need one or two lights more, for low beam. LED or halogen. For driving on the RH side of the road, so no UK/ Japan/ Aussie/NZ market stuff can be used.

I used an ebay LED projector and removed the "halo". https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...166820?hash=item2d27acd664:g:QbUAAOSwjGVgQzLW
20190803_125645_HDR.jpg

It's ok, not something I'd want to do a night time country ride with.
Bummer. If anything, a good low beam is even more critical than good high beam. Crashing into a moose, just as you dip the headlight for an approaching car is a sure way to ruin your day. Even if you are in a car......received_2595846543893694.jpeg

That incident was yesterday, about half an hour from my house......Nobody got badly injured, amazingly enough....

Yeah, my XS is a toy. I have my tiger 800 for commuting and the XS I built more for a look and handling than commuting. So the headlight is what I would consider the bare minimum.
These are a dual 4" headlight, they can be seperated and run single. I'd probably consider them the minimum for night riding without spending big money on something like new r1/r6 tiny lights. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Twin...429418?hash=item3d91b2f4aa:g:50EAAOSw27RdXKmQ

Last edited:
It turns out Hella has a large selection of 90 mm projector type headlights for retrofitting. Mainly aimed at the bus and heavy truck sector, but the LED alternatives work with 9-32 V, so will work on bikes too. Not quite the endurance look I want, but maybe a workable solution for a twin headlight setup when using a fairing.

Being stuck in a hotel room for the coming week (covid quarantine requirements), I have way too much time on my hands, so ebay is a constant temptation. I just found these 5 3/4" H4 headlights. I really like that vintage 3- bar look. They may be suitable for my attempted "endurance fairing look". They will, however, require me to fabricate some kind of holder/ bracket for them.
Not to mention wayyyyy cheaper than 2 PIAA led spotlights+ a low beam light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Chevy-...ot-Tri-Bar-Headlights-H4-Bright-/174092555261

Are those small lights 4 inch or something?
Were all both low and high beam? Ok light pattern?
I see that vendor has both 5 inch and 5 3/4" inch lights, which both are reasonable sizes for a modified 80's FJ600 (XJ600 In Europe) fairing. That fairing was the closest I could think of, for a classic, sporty half fairing. Just cannot stand the rectangular headlight, so will try to achieve something approaching a late 70s endurance racing style headlight arrangement.

Last edited:
Might not be the best Quality
But Some are using them i Suppose
Can be a solution

https://www.biltema.se/en-se/car---mc/mc/mc-lighting/headlights/dual-light-matt-black-2000031397
Yes, I have been looking at those at our local Biltema store. But they are pretty small, and also quite heavy. Also, one of them must be high beam only (H7 bulb). If I have 2 lights, both with H4, I can have 2 lamps on low beam, just like any car. Which is a good thing in the dark, when there is a lot of traffic the other direction.

Are those small lights 4 inch or something?
Were all both low and high beam? Ok light pattern?
I see that vendor has both 5 inch and 5 3/4" inch lights, which both are reasonable sizes for a modified 80's FJ600 (XJ600 In Europe) fairing. That fairing was the closest I could think of, for a classic, sporty half fairing. Just cannot stand the rectangular headlight, so will try to achieve something approaching a late 70s endurance racing style headlight arrangement.

The center headlight was a 7” Halogen with Hi / Low beams, the two spotlights were 4” single beam 30 watt bulbs.
I never ran with just the spotlights on, but with all three light on it really expanded the close in range of vision, much wider than just the headlight.

The center headlight was a 7” Halogen with Hi / Low beams, the two spotlights were 4” single beam 30 watt bulbs.
I never ran with just the spotlights on, but with all three light on it really expanded the close in range of vision, much wider than just the headlight.
Great info! How was that 7" light on its own? Good asymmetrical low beam pattern?

Back