Any thoughts on this welder?

I'd really like to have a Miller Autoset 140. I just can't justify the $700+ price tag. I, "never say never", probably will have very little use for a welder after my tracker is done. Anyone have any good/bad comments on this Eastwood? At around $320 shipped it is much easier to swallow.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

well im in the same boat, like to have a mig/tig setup b ut too much. I got one of those harbor freight ones for 100 bills. it works great for what it is. 110v and its got a flux core wire. its just like runnin 7018 stick but wit a mig gun and at times when your good it even looks as good as tig. hope that could help, one:shrug:

get gas if you can, much cleaner. youll be glad to have the option. dont buy the best unless youre going to use it often. some times you can sign up for a night class at a community college, you can bring your project in and work on it and get help from your instructor. but you usually have to take it home that night. its usually is one or two nights a week non credit class. be less from the wallet and you get all sorts of tools and advice at your hands. work at home when you can and weld and cut there.

I got the Century (made in Nebraska) "red-box", comparable model. Does .023, .030, .035" wire, steel stainless and (must reverse inside connections) aluminum.
The Eastwood shows to handle .023" wire, best for thin sheet/tube and build-up of worn small parts.
Longevity will handle aluminum if get $120 spool gun.

I opened-up my Century before using, found all screw-on cable lugs finger tight on inverter board. Wrote letter, no response. Tightened up everything, been working great. Watch that duty cycle!

Don't think yours will gather dust after your project. Once you go thru that door, other uses will pop-up...

I got the Century (made in Nebraska) "red-box", comparable model. Does .023, .030, .035" wire, steel stainless and (must reverse inside connections) aluminum.
The Eastwood shows to handle .023" wire, best for thin sheet/tube and build-up of worn small parts.
Longevity will handle aluminum if get $120 spool gun.

I opened-up my Century before using, found all screw-on cable lugs finger tight on inverter board. Wrote letter, no response. Tightened up everything, been working great. Watch that duty cycle!

Don't think yours will gather dust after your project. Once you go thru that door, other uses will pop-up...
Neighbors pop up too. Welded a washer drum to a 3"/5' pipe to a wheel rim for a neighbors portable fire pit.
Made funeral lantern poles for a cousin
Its like winning the lottery. everyone is your friend.
Save and get a good one.
I friend of mine found a new Hobart handler for 350$. new. I, unfortunately spent 800$ on a miller 180/240v. Having feed problems with it.

I have a miller mig. Just bought an eastwood ac dc tig. I had a buddy come over and weld some alum. for me since I,ve never done that. He is a pro metal man and was impressed with the eastwood. He did say it was more of a back yard builder caliber welder but would do the job I wanted it to do.

I've got a Millermatic 250 I bought at an Estate auction like new condition. I had a small weld shop. I welded everything from front end loader buckets to old rusty cars. the 180 is a capable machine. I have a long lead on mine it welds better without coiling. If you are getting bird nesting the liner or a bad tip. Rusty wire will clog a liner.

Dont discount buying a used welder either.....that $700+ welder you want might be the next $250 find on Craigslist.

I dont *NEED* a welder because I have the next best thing, a friend with a welder.....

....but Ive got a few machines in mind and I keep an eye on CL.....if one pops up for good money Im gonna snatch it up.

Racerdave, what caught my eye was the different wire size specs for those machines, thus:
Eastwood - .023 and .030
Longevity - .030 and .035
Looked like Longevity didn't handle .023", maybe Shotgunjoe can clear this up...

Sorry Twomany... I have one of longevitys Tig machines... but ive heard great things about the migs too. Best thing to do is call longevity and ask customer service... they are very easy to work with.

Heres a couple shots...

IMG_20130522_110903_447.jpg

IMG_20130522_210042_477.jpg

Dave, what did you end up with?

Sorry Twomany... I have one of longevitys Tig machines... but ive heard great things about the migs too. Best thing to do is call longevity and ask customer service... they are very easy to work with.

Heres a couple shots...

IMG_20130522_110903_447.jpg

IMG_20130522_210042_477.jpg

Dave, what did you end up with?

Nothing yet. Just can't convince myself to buy, based on perceived actual usage, and storage space.

Well... even though Im fan of longevity, and will be buying my next mig and a future plasma cutter from them (the warranty trumps all for me)... harbor freight does have their big fathers day sale coming up, and the 170 amp mig is gonna be $160.

I had a Miller 140 and it barley did 1/8 with any reasonable duty cycle, penetration was not great either. For sheet metal it would be great or even tacking stuff, ya it was great.

Went to a Miller 211 and I can switch from 110 to 220. 110 for tacking and 211 when I really need to weld. It can burn a hole through 1/4" on 220 if not careful.

The 140 "claimed" 3/8 inch material but that wold be with flux core not gas and even they I would not trust my life with it.

While I am no pro, I found I needed a 220 unit.The miller with 110 and 220 switching power supply is really nice.

I had to buy twice. Opt for more than you need not just enough for what you need is my thought. Best of luck with the selection!

Back