Any tips on mounting a fiberglass tank?

joestella28

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a XR style tank (and seat unit) from Gopher Glass (their "modern" version) but am wondering how people normally mount these to an XS frame?

Many thanks,

Joe

Hi all,
I've got a XR style tank (and seat unit) from Gopher Glass (their "modern" version) but am wondering how people normally mount these to an XS frame?
Many thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,
I'd use rubber-cushioned mounts on an XS650 so the vibrations wouldn't damage the FRP.
BTW is the Gopher Glass unit "modern" enough to not dissolve in modern gas?

Hi there,

I will be treating the tank prior to using but also being from the UK, I think we have less ethanol in our "gas" than in the US, something like up to 5% vs 10% in the US so hopefully I'll be ok.

I will be rubber mounting for sure but I need to give it some thought so that it sits square and stays put.

Many Thanks,

Joe

The easiest/best way is to get some exhaust pipe, 3 inch diameter {I think?} about 4 inchs long, cut it in have length wise, weld a length of 1'4 inch threaded rod at the needed angle to the pipe. Hose clamp these mounts to the frame backbone.Drill the holes in the tanks mount pipe for this rod. Put some pipe insulation foam over the frame backbone between these mounts, put some rubber of some type over the studs, add a formed washer at the top. Install the tank over the stud, add another washer on top, bolt it up and done! Some pics in my thread on page 8. The pic below is slides build

http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-street-tracker-project.9843/page-8
slidespic.jpg

Hi Joe,
I'd use rubber-cushioned mounts on an XS650 so the vibrations wouldn't damage the FRP.
Use Caswell Tank Sealer you will not have any problems with ethenol delamination of fiberglass. I have it in my Tracy body tank for 8 years now still holding up well.

The easiest/best way is to get some exhaust pipe, 3 inch diameter {I think?} about 4 inchs long, cut it in have length wise, weld a length of 1'4 inch threaded rod at the needed angle to the pipe. Hose clamp these mounts to the frame backbone.Drill the holes in the tanks mount pipe for this rod. Put some pipe insulation foam over the frame backbone between these mounts, put some rubber of some type over the studs, add a formed washer at the top. Install the tank over the stud, add another washer on top, bolt it up and done! Some pics in my thread on page 8. The pic below is slides build

http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-street-tracker-project.9843/
Hi Joe,
Hello. What does FRP.BTW mean. Thanks. Bill

http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-street-tracker-project.9843/page-8View attachment 109467
Excellent information. I want to mount a star racer style or Champion style Tank and seat combination on my stock frame. Which do you think would work best or do you have a recommendation. Also, would it be best to get a tank where the petcocks mount near the rear of the tank. With these mounts, I have more options as a lot of the tunnels in the tanks are very narrow. Thanks. Bill

Last edited:
Excellent information. I want to mount a star racer style or Champion style Tank and seat combination on my stock frame. Which do you think would work best or do you have a recommendation. Also, would it be best to get a tank where the petcocks mount near the rear of the tank. With these mounts, I have more options as a lot of the tunnels in the tanks are very narrow. Thanks. Bill
I talked to Gopher Glass very recently. They told me that their tanks are raw inside and would be O.K. with race gas but with ethanol blend it could be a problem. Most here don't trust tank sealers either. I know it's a bummer. It's what I want to do too.

I talked to Gopher Glass very recently. They told me that their tanks are raw inside and would be O.K. with race gas but with ethanol blend it could be a problem. Most here don't trust tank sealers either. I know it's a bummer. It's what I want to do too.
Hello. Thanks for the quick response. I don't trust tank sealers either. I can get Chevron 94 octane where I am in Canada, which has no ethanol in it. That should work. Ill contact Randy and ask him. I just need to find a tank now. the seat is easy LOL. Take care. Bill

Hello. Thanks for the quick response. I don't trust tank sealers either. I can get Chevron 94 octane where I am in Canada, which has no ethanol in it. That should work. Ill contact Randy and ask him. I just need to find a tank now. the seat is easy LOL. Take care. Bill
Did you look at Gopher's offerings? Some of their stuff looks pretty sweet.

Did you look at Gopher's offerings? Some of their stuff looks pretty sweet.
Yes I have. Randy looks to have a great product. I was leaning towards his Star racer tank and seat combination as long as the tank fits on a mount I’m going to make. Tunnel width will definitely be a factor. Thanks and take care. Bill

Back