anybody ever tape their headers?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody ever tape their headers? Care to give me a rundown?

My headers have gotten too rusty to clean but seem solid, so I think tape is the answer.

Heat wrap? Pretty straight forward. To me, it was easier to wet the wrap and then apply it...Smoked alot at first...I used gloves when I wrapped the pipes also...They may rot out at an accelerated rate too...

I personally don't know the facts, but they claim that it pulls heat away and down the pipes to help keep your engine cooler or something like that. I did it to my old cafe because the pipes looked bad and it was cheaper than getting new ones. Make sure you wear think rubber gloves and a particle respirator, you definitely don't want to breath that glass in while wrapping your pipes. It will also look better if you have someone help you.

However, it does promote rust because it retains the moisture, so rusty pipes will only get rustier.

Heat wrap? Pretty straight forward. To me, it was easier to wet the wrap and then apply it...Smoked alot at first...I used gloves when I wrapped the pipes also...They may rot out at an accelerated rate too...

Definitely wear gloves. It's fiberglass if I'm not mistaken and I had the itches for the next day.

I have always wrapped mine. Its an old 1950 and 60's street racing trick that is still used in NASCAR today. It was used to keep the exhaust super hot, because hot air is thinner and moves faster thrugh the pipe then cold air. And faster flowing exhaust creates HP, Hence the High flow cat back exhaust all the tunner "fast and furious" cars. Colder air is more dense and thicker hence the cold air intake and the cars as well.

Long story short, if your running PODS air filters and letting more cold air in the motor wrapping the pipes and getting that air back out just at fast is the best way to create HP by evening the air flow through the motor.

I was tought to soak the wrap first and apply it wet on the pipes. When is dries it is like a CAST ( broken arm cast) for you exhaust. Is rock hard, but if it get wet it can get soft and puffy again. It needs to be sealed with a spray heat apoxy or I use high temp BBQ paint. Works just as good and much much cheaper. If you dont seal it, and it gets wet the damp fiberglass against the pipes with rust them out in no time at all. the wrap will hide the damage untill it too late. "if you comma wrap'em, seal the deal"

Just my input, take from it what you will. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2 wheel mafia yamaha.jpg
    2 wheel mafia yamaha.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 109
hmm, I wasn't told to seal them and I was afraid that if I painted the tape (for looks) with the bbq paint that it might have negative effects... Sweet. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back