Anybody game for "Name that Relay"?

Nooovie

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so am getting to the wiring stage of my build, so my life for the past month has revolved around deciphering the spaghetti that is the wiring harness. I've recolored the 82 XS650 schematic, and made it a PDF so you can zoom in. So if anybody wants it, shoot me a PM. It looks like this...

XS650-Wiring-Diagram-color.gif

Anyhow, I came across a few things that I need a hand in identifying. One is what seems to be a relay.... It's located toward the rear of the bike and I can't seem to be able to find it in the schematic.

533eba21-1.jpg
0886de13-1.jpg

Does anybody know what this relay is used for?

The other thing is what seems to be a resistor? It sits roughly in the middle of the harness and was originally in clear vinyl tubing. I pulled it out so I could take a pic of it... color of wire might have something to do with the neutral switch? What does this one do?

efa406b8-1.jpg

Anyone? Anyone? :)

Your input is greatly valued and appreciated. :thumbsup:

The relay is the one that lets the starter run if the clutch is pulled.
The starter will not work until the clutch is pulled in.

Last edited:
Thats not any fun. What do you do when you want to run electric starter all the way home? I thought this was a hybrid.. :)

not a resistor it's a diode... ties in neutral switch to sidestand switch and relay

Attachments

• 82_XS650SJ_SK.PNG
    82_XS650SJ_SK.PNG
    124.4 KB · Views: 262
Thanks guys. My bike was a roller when I bought it, so no wires at all for reference. I had to buy this harness off eBay to get all the relays and stuff and to figure out what connectors to get. I thought it was an 82 harness, but guess not. That schematic helps big time. The 82 H/SH one is missing the little diode symbol and has no sidestand switch or relay.

Yup... Looks like this is the sidestand relay and a diode.

Now... where do you guys get your wires from? If I was to buy a spool for each color, plus the connectors, it'd cost more than the bike :D! I found Z1 Enterprises has the cheapest prices on connectors... not sure about wires though.

Here it is so far...

7b874d61-1.jpg

Thanks littlebill.

That's a great link and a great idea. I think I will do the same... order one from MikesXS and hack away. When I add up the connectors and terminals, plus wires, I think it will cost me more than the $80. Now I just gotta figure out how to run the wires so they're hidden. I just laid the old harness over top of the bike and man that's a solid bundle to hide.

Does anyone have a good link on how to drill a frame? Do's and don'ts? I'm going to use wire sleeving and probably rubber hoses or copper tubing running from the fake oil tank to stay with the idea of the oil tank, but the spine, under the tank, and to the bars is gonna be a challenge to keep clean.

Also, where did you guys mount the starter solenoid? The only place I found is next to the battery at the bottom of the frame, but am worried that it will be too exposed to the elements.

I think your harness is an 82. The wiring diagram you show is an H/SH. The 82 is an SJ. Use the diagram Jayel posted.
I think that relay is the sidestand relay. It works with the sidestand switch, clutch switch and neutral light so you have to be in neutral or the side stand up or the clutch pulled or some combination of them or the starter won't work. Not sure, I don't have an 82 together enough to tell. My 82 is just a roller with an engine in it.
The diode in your harness is between the neutral light and sidestand switch and relay. thats how the relay knows the bike is in neutral.
What i might do is use a simpler diagram and rewire the bike. This is one of Jayel's diagrams. It shows the a basic system with out the extra crap you don't need. It shows the system with points, and the pre 80 reg/rec. It aslo has the TCI and combo reg/rec shown and you just swap the later for the early.
It also shows how to wire in the starter if you want that.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 206
Speaking of sidestand switches, how does one go about disabling the sidestand switch and still getting the bike to run? Unplug it? Wire the 2 wires together? Some other way? I find the sidestand switch to be a royal pain in the .....

I asked that before and I was told to connect the 2 red wires, cap off the others. But I just got rid of it all and rewired, so I never tried it.

Hey XSLeo you're absolutely correct. I kinda screwed up and did the wrong diagram. So to all of you who I emailed... You have yourselves an 81 diagram not an 82. Mah baad. :) But the one Jayel posted is awesome.

Anyhow, the wiring harness that I bought off eBay... the PO soldered the sidestand wires after the connector (Blue/Yellow and black) wires together... so I would infer that once the plunger of the switch goes in when the sidestand is extended... it breaks the circuit, interrupting the ground to the relay...

I think you got nothing to lose with removing it and seeing if it works... and if not... slap those two bad boys together :)

The relay is the one that lets the starter run if the clutch is pulled.
The starter will not work until the clutch is pulled in.

I asked that before and I was told to connect the 2 red wires, cap off the others. But I just got rid of it all and rewired, so I never tried it.

If you're talking about the thing in the first quote, connecting the two red wires and capping off the other two will allow you to use the starter when you're not in neutral (have the clutch pulled of course). Otherwise you can only start in neutral if the the relay and clutch switch are both good. My clutch switch was missing, so I did this to my bike to allow me to use the starter w/o havig to get into neutral. An equivalent thing is jumper the clutch switch wires, but this way is no more difficult and it eliminates a part.

Back