Anybody use the '73 xs650 for hardtail??

wmarsh4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody used the 1973 yamaha xs650 to build a hardtail? That's the year I'm picking up and want to know the differences? What hardtail will fit straight to that year? any help appreciated.
Thanks guys?

I know I got alot of questions already before I got it, but just wanna know ahead of time, uncle can't wait to get it out of his basement..

Posted via Mobile

Any of the after market hard tails will work with the '73 frame. Only real differences where forward of the cut off point, and the rear foot peg mount area. The front engine mount was two pieces and the top engine mount was slightly different.

I put a '73 engine in a '82 frame on my first build and had to modify the top engine mount (make my own), and use the later style front engine mount.

You won't have any problems with any hard tail.

Alright man sweet, had another thread goin and had a guy bring up the frames changed after 75 so had me worrying, david birds hardtail says '75 and up, tc bros says 70-84, so figured they all should work . Thanks man.

I just finished up a build with a David Bird hard tail. In the past I used TC Brothers. Both good products. You can see the DB on my build page titled "my new build the 23".

I just finished up a build with a David Bird hard tail. In the past I used TC Brothers. Both good products. You can see the DB on my build page titled "my new build the 23".

Nice work man, sweet bike, can tell you put some time into it. Idk why, think I'm leaning more for the tc bros. But the loop style Is just sick looking..

Posted via Mobile

Tc bros tails look sweet from side on. Only thing I don't like about them is the short sharp angle of the triangle where the seat go's. It doesn't flow with the shape of any decent sized seat....

You can see what I mean in this pic of my old boys 73 xs with a tc bros tail... ( tanks and seat are just sitting there for mock up. Nothing welded yet..)

null_zpsf9e0287f.png

Only thing I don't like about them is the short sharp angle of the triangle where the seat go's. It doesn't flow with the shape of any decent sized seat....

He's got a point there. When I hardtailed mine 38 years ago, I used the traditional Harley geometry, and wished later that I had made the bend/transition further back, with a longer/narrower angle. Even with the slightly wider king/queen seat, my inner thighs would still rub on the frame at that bend...

Attachments

• XS1B-a2.jpg
    XS1B-a2.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 379
The frame is a wishbone frame and the lower tubes are a diffrent width than a 74 and newer and the eng.sits lower in the frame and takes dif. mounts.make sure befor you order a hardtail.

Ya I'm wondering how the david bird loop tail is 74 and up or 75 and the tc bros is 70 and up. Thought they would have to all fit same yrs, but I'll definitely be calling first. Good looking out man, thanks!

I also ordered 3 Ardcore choppers DIY hard tails a little while back and Jon needed to know the year frames they were going on !! So yeah if all were the same I'm sure he wouldn't Need to ask.

Yeah exactly the same !! I think Yamaha changed too tx to bring the naming inline with other yamaha models of the time. But from what I've read sales fell over the tx period so they changed it back to xs !!

I could be wrong so please someone else jump in If I em. but I think the 73 tx frame is the same as a 72 xs frame and a 74 tx frame is the same as a 75 xs frame. from there on there the same, well when your hardtailing they are anyway.

new here and on my first build i have a 73 and just stuck a tcbros weldon looks good to me but i got a long way to go

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 149
  • xsframe.jpg
    xsframe.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 134
Hmmm. You sure that's a 73 ?? 73's have different shape front down tubes, there narrower and taper out around the front motor mount... if you know what I mean.. And the sleaving ends higher up on the inner tubes...

no i don't, first time to do any kind if work on a bike i was told it's a 73 xs650 and the hard tell from TCBros. fit good and i told them a 73 i hope i'm not screwing up this bike was in pieces when i got it if it could be taken apart it was lol

Thanks man, must be nice to be started ha, and if Im not mistaken I think on the neck of front downtube should have the year, I'm not sure I'm new also lol congrats on getting your build started, tc bros has such a nice look to it, good choice in my opinion.

Posted via Mobile

it will be a challenge i have built alot of cars and thought oh a bike will be easy can't afford to buy a bike my kids and house eat up my income so thought i'd just build one
then when i found this box of bike parts for 500 thought i would be on the road after a weekend, Ha it took me that just to hard tail it. not sure where to start after paint. just got the wheels powder coated. had to watch a video on you tube before i welded the hard tail:doh:

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 118
Back