Anybody using Motorkote?

TwoManyXS1Bs

BBQ Hunter
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Forum search for Motorkote came up dry.

My engine is old, wore-out, typical clatter, and aluminum shavings in oil. It's going to be overhauled anyway. I'm a sucker for the latest snake oils. So, last year, decided to be the guinea pig for this stuff.

Have put about 300-400 miles on this now. Engine runs just a little better. Less noise, camchain rattle almost gone (probably sawed-thru whatever anyway), stable idle at 1000-1200, slightly snappier throttle. Been doing slow/hot congested traffic creep/stop for the pushrod tests, and clutch works fine, no slippage.

Checked oil last night, no aluminum particles, oil still looks like oil.

At least, it didn't blow up.

Anybody else use this stuff?

http://www.motorkote.com

Attachments

• MotorKote01.jpg
    MotorKote01.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 120
  • MotorKote02.jpg
    MotorKote02.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 126
Yes, I use it in both of my vehicles and both of my bikes, XS650 and XV1100, on advice of my bodywork/paint guy, who has raced Porsches and Toyotas very successfully in SCCA competition.

it doesn't make your clutch slip? Im leary of friction modifiers with a wet clutch.
mines fine, but eliminating friction cuts down heat and gives just a tiny increase in power.
Years(98) ago I put prolong in my 67 fairlane, woke it right up. a couple years later I had the intake off, and the innards were clean as a whistle. stock motor, unknown miles.
Now I just add zddp at each oil change. a lot cheaper. don't put zddp in bikes.

No, I haven't sensed any clutch slippage. According to the instructions, Motorkote is used in quite small quantities and (if I remember), only added at every fourth oil change after the first use.

it doesn't make your clutch slip? Im leary of friction modifiers with a wet clutch.

Same here. But, sometimes the only way to find out is to try. Motorkote is recommended for motorcycles and transmissions, which are jam-packed with wet clutch packs. So, why not?

Years(98) ago I put prolong in my 67 fairlane, woke it right up. a couple years later I had the intake off, and the innards were clean as a whistle. stock motor, unknown miles.
Now I just add zddp at each oil change. a lot cheaper. don't put zddp in bikes.

Haha, wow, 98 years ago? Yeah, I got on the Prolong bandwagon back then, too. Just for fun, I ran a normal carriage-fed cut on steel on my lathe, added a drop of Prolong as a cutting oil, and the bit stopped cutting, just slid over the steel. I was impressed.

Now, ZDDP is another story. Still wanting to play with that. One of my old metallurgy books discusses the issues of hardened alloy impact tolerance (like tappets striking valve tips, in a tiny contact area), and the importance of zinc-based additives to provide a mild cushioning effect. Without it, the article warns of potential embrittlement of the hard surface and eventual fracturing, like we've seen with fractured adjuster tips and cratered valvestem tips. However, I believe the elephants foot adjusters makes that a moot issue, so I may bypass goofing with that ZDDP...

Back