Anyone ever own a BSA?

Never owned a BSA. If I come across one for a decent price, I'll add it to my list of Brit bikes. I had a '69 Bonnie that was chopped. It had a 750 kit put on it and single carb. Great short distance bike that turned heads. I'm now tinkering with the '66 Norton hybrid I bought two months ago. The drip pan is getting quite full and I can't figure out why it pings and loses power when it warms up. Hoping to remove the timing cover and put the degree wheel on it today. It sure would have been nice if they allowed you to strobe them. Below is a picture of the old Bonnie. I kinda miss her.
IMG_0661.PNG

I read that the Board of Directors of the motorcycle division of BSA was composed entirely of mothers whose sons owned BSA motorcycles.

Apparently, the Mums didn’t like their sons to be able to ride too far, too fast or too often and so they kept a very tight leash on R&D and product development funds and in particular, any project intended to enhance the reliability of the bikes was sure to be vetoed.
575A8269-2CA7-4FF1-BA89-16EFEFABCB9F.jpeg

Bloody Sore Arse, or Bastards Stop Anywhere

YOUNG MAN - I've got a bar of soap right here at the kitchen sink.....
Gramma_Walton.jpg

Just remember who ran the Board of Directors of the motorcycle division of Birmingham Small Arms...;)

Last edited:
I bought a new '66 Spitfire Mk II Special when I was a youngster. Engine seized on a ride shortly after I bought it. Dealer fixed it. Went to work for a Honda/Triumph/Royal Enfield dealer. Traded the BSA for a new '67 Bonneville. I liked it much better than the BSA. I was more fond of ridin' than fixin' so I sold it and bought a 305 Super Hawk and never looked back. I rode it many happy miles 'til a new CB750 caught my eye. The Brit bikes were just too unreliable and fiddly for my tastes. My XS gives me the look and sound of a Brit bike with Japanese reliability.

Mike

MaxPete, would unreliable electrics riding two-up at night on a country road in the rain near a barn be considered a virtue??

Hmmmmm...NFW, Mr Sutton. But, that was one time....dammit. OK, it happened several times....;)

Oh he!! - I guess no bike is perfect.

Back