Anyone have advice on how to install a dual disc rotor on '73 xs

6search6

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of dual disc brembos with stainless cables. I'd like to install them but the wheel hub doesnt appear it can take a second rotor. Anyone out there do it?

I bought a set of dual disc brembos with stainless cables. I'd like to install them but the wheel hub doesnt appear it can take a second rotor. Anyone out there do it?

1st off, the discs, if stock diameters, are smaller than the single disc. That means you need different fork lowers for the difference in mounting location for the calipers. On my 78, there was capability on the wheel, the bolt holes had a cover over them. You could use another wheel that might work, but still have the lowers problem. I also found it necessary to use washers to space the calipers a bit to center them on the discs. I have since returned to a single, as I don't think the duals worked one damn bit better.

1st off, the discs, if stock diameters, are smaller than the single disc. That means you need different fork lowers for the difference in mounting location for the calipers. On my 78, there was capability on the wheel, the bolt holes had a cover over them. You could use another wheel that might work, but still have the lowers problem. I also found it necessary to use washers to space the calipers a bit to center them on the discs. I have since returned to a single, as I don't think the duals worked one damn bit better.

thank for your advice. anyone else have more specific how-to's

thank for your advice. anyone else have more specific how-to's
It also occurs to me that you probably have 34 mm tubes? Someone else should chime in here, because I'm not sure they had a dual disc setup before the 35 mm tubes showed up. In that case, you would probably have to swap a whole front end on, as the 35mm lowers won't work with your calipers for bolt spacing, either. At least our 34 mm forks have it different than our 35mm on our bikes. Our chopper is a 73 setup and the trike is 78. They don't play well.

72 and possibly some EARLY 73 do not have the hub for a second rotor, later 73's can be converted to twin rotor. if your rotor rides on it's own bearing it is the type that will not hold a second rotor. EASY to ID, the early rotors do not have the 6 bolts to hold it to the hub. If so the only way to go two rotor is to change forks and all to a later bike. Then you may have the stem length change issue to deal with also. A picture of your brake set up will help us ID what you have.
Both my 73's have the twin rotor type hub. VIN S650 211XXX and S650 215XXX if yours has the older style brake I'd be interested to know your VIN. I have a thread somewhere about trying to find what VIN the change over occurred at. I have not seen a "floating rotor" 73 yet. Yours could be the first....

i took the chance on a rainy saturday yesterday to start into this. I found a "cover or spacer" on the left side of the front wheel hub. Once this cover was removed you i found the 6 bolt holes where for the second rotor. I guess im lucky. i ordered a second rotor, gold series brembos with stainless lines, and brackets from pandemonium choppers. I will still need to order the dual master cylinder. Once this is all finished I will start a new thread on the how-to for this with pics.

Thanks gggGary for the very helpful advice.

Back