anyone have experience with a r100rt

bergoff

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My mother inlaws boy friend has been trying to get me to buy his 84 bmw r100rt. The more I look at his bike the more I like it. I would buy it for more of a commuter bike or something for a passenger. Does anyone have experience with them. Its in great shape and he is the original owner. Its had all of the maintenance done and also has a fresh paint job. The only thing I don't like it the huge windshield.

Attachments

• 292481700768859.jpg
    292481700768859.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 140
BMW were a little labor intensive back then if my memory is correct. Something about the output shaft needing to have the splines greased I think? Very nice bikes though.

Greasing the splines is not that big a deal and can be accomplished in a long afternoon. By '84, BMW had improved the splines by hard chrome plating them and the maintenance intervals grew. You probably only need do it every 15 to 20K. On a new-to-me airhead, the 1st time I do this, I pull the tranny right out. Many times a seal in there needs replacing (rear main or tranny input). After that, I use the "quick and dirty" method of just sliding the tranny back about an inch to access the splines.

The 100RT is a real mile-eater, and in my experience very smooth and comfortable.
The parts in the UK are now very expensive; maybe not in the USA. Gearbox is far more 'clunky' than most other bikes of the same era, and needs to be checked for clean gear engagement, and not jumping out. Rear bevel drive has two types of lubrication; one for the bevel box and one for the driveshaft. Again,check for smooth operation. Diode board behind the front engine cover can give problems, due to bad earthing. Valve seats deteriorate unless lead additive is used in the petrol.

Oh, it's a fair amount of work to perform this service, but like I said, it's not needed too often. I feel the bonuses on these bikes far outweigh this drawback. Carb and top end access are ridiculously easy. You can perform a whole top end job with the engine still in the frame. Not that these bikes need them very often. About every 20 years or so, you may need to pull the top end down, clean the carbon out, and replace the pushrod seals. I have one that's due now. I pulled it down in the early '90s when I 1st got it and didn't replace the pushrod seals because they were still OK. Well, they're finally starting to leak now, lol.

Yes, the diode board ground problem. BMW screwed up there by painting the cases black. The problem arose because the diode board mounts to the front case and grounds through it - but not so well after you paint it, lol. There's a simply "fix" of just adding some separate ground wires running from the board back to the main engine block. I've done it to all mine, even the earlier ones with unpainted cases. Aluminum gets that white corrosion on it over time so the front case bolted to the main block (and where the diode board mounts) can lose contact.

Buy it for God's sake. I had an '83 rt100 and wished I still had it. if you get it in a year or two you will wonder why you waffled. The only problem I had was burnt diode. Sweet machine for the road!

We haven't talked about a price yet. He is a nice guy and if I buy it I don't think I will have any problems. But trying to convince the wife is another story.

I have an 82 Yamaha Vision that was giving to me for free. It just needs way to much work and I don't feel like messing with it anymore.

I had an '82 Euro spec R100RS. I still miss it. Red smoke color. Wasn't the fastest on the Autobahn, but it wasn't the slowest either. Setting the valves wasn't hard. Balanceing th carbs took a while, but familiarity after a while will help. Handling? It's a BMW! Great!

Straddle that saddle and take that R100 for a test ride,you won't find a smoother running air head twin than a BMW "R series twin". I have a "76" R90/S that's been in the family for 21 years and would never contemplate selling it.

Bought an '83R80RT new. Life got in the way(new house, new kids, no time......) Had to sell it. Wish I still had it.
Mike

Back