Anyone have experience with Honda CX500s?

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a cheap beater bike to ride while I do my cafe project, but also something that I can do a stylish hardtail with after the cafe project. My old man is a huge Guzzi guy so I've always liked the Honda CX500s and they can be had for real short money.

Anyone have experience with these? Are they reliable and easy to work on at all? How about customizing them?

A friend had a real beater CX500. We had problems with the cooling system and electrical. I don't know if the bike can be blamed for the electrical though as the previous had their way with it. I can't even really tell you how well they should ride because the suspension was so far gone that is just bounced down the road.. Good times.. I'll never forget that heap.

If I remember correctly, the CX500 is shaft driven. That makes the hardtail idea a lot more complicated. Also, I think the engines are too damn wide. I don't really remember it being all that hard to work on other than the added complications of it being liquid cooled and having a radiator. That's not going to help your hardtail any in the looks department :twocents:

Yeah, it has the Flying V configuration that Guzzis have, which I've always loved. I have some ideas for making the radiator look good, think 40s sci fi/art deco bobber. I've wanted to do a water cooled bike so I could put sheet metal on it and not worry (as much) about cooling.

I can buy one of these things for so scary cheap ($100 for a running one on CL) I might just roll the dice. I would love a 2nd XS but somehow the Craigslist crowd figured out that they're starting to be worth something. Damnit, who told em?!

Any other suggestions for cheap little twins I should be keeping my eyes open for?

I've owned two and I will never own another. I have never seen one that has looked right, either cafe or bobber. They are far from
Easy to work on. I pulled an engine apart on one to replace a connecting rod and it was a huge pain in the butt.
There is a reason they sell for so cheap. Gutless, ugly, and a pain to work on.

That's the most honest review I can give.

-Lucas

CX500; A bad alternator means tearing out the engine to get at it. + whatever on gutless, ugly, too wide, and complicated.

Little inspiration for you.
_MG_9260%252C1.jpg

pulling the engine only means 3 bolts, it's simple as pie.

reliable motor, I love mine, and as soon as I find a doner tranny will have mine back on the road.

I love em. they have at least as much power as an xs, but not down low, and they rev to the sky.

great bikes, don't let the nay-sayers turn you off.

FWIW, other then the shift dog that went out on my first, all my issues have been cooling based, get rid of the cam driven fan, and install a ninja fan with a thermo-switch you'll be much much happier.

jaz

I saw that Wrenchmonkees bike on BikeEXIF. Made me think that if a respected custom house like them would do one they can't be *that* bad... right?

And it looks like the guys turning wrenches aren't the only talent around their shop. *whistle*

Had a '79, not the beautiful bike, but reliable. If I could pick up a running one with title for a hundred bucks, I wouldn't hesitate a second. Lots of customizing ideas out there too.

As a former Honda service tech that was not one of Hondas better ideas. I would avoid it all together

A friend of mine, a 30+ year bike mechanic, always had a saying, "Honda, years to avoid.. 69-89." The CX500 was one of them. If the cam chain ever wore out (which they did on even mid mileage engines), the tensioners would fail and take out a bunch of stuff on the motor. You have to pull the engine from the frame.

And least we forget... the motor looked fine, the rest of the bike was designed by an 8th grader with most of his crayons missing.

A fellow club member of mine has had a few CXs, they are great bikes.

Click for a few pics and a little info. Elsewhere on the site is contact info... bigbearben isthe guy.

I saw one a guy Cafe'd and was very sweet Except for those Comstar wheels. If one could find some wire spokes to fit then there is hope to make a decent mod.

Had a couple, both turbo. A CX500TC turbo and fuel injected. And a CX650 Turbo. The 650 was much better with simpler injection. Bad lag. But cool.

Back