Anyone here work with leather?

ontherocks

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a brown leather tool bag that I like. Always find black ones with conchos and fringe. Cant afford the custom ones. So I m going to try to make my own. Here is my first attempt at tooling leather. Would like to see if anyone has done their own.
Took me six hours straight. I cant feel my fingertips today and my elbow hurts like hell. Now I know why leather guys charge so much.
leatherskull.jpg

That looks like human skin!:eek:
Hard work isnt it? I tried it years ago ,couldnt believe the effort involved!

agree if that is your first piece can't wait to see what your 40th will look like.
where did you get your starter kit from?

I did it with tools I had laying around the house. X-acto knife, tip of a wine bottle stopper, and a spoon.
I got some tips from the local tandy shop guy and bought a proper leather cutting tool and two types of beveling tools.
Decided to do a cover for my seat pan finally.
Basically had to get more aggressive with it and make the impressions deeper.
Here is a pic of where I am at so far. Took a week and much bourbon.:)
Think i'll do a fuel sling next until i learn how to sew a bag.

seatcoverskull.jpg

photo.jpg

Finished it up. Pretty happy with it. Also changed out the springs to valve springs from a 70 mustang 351 cleveland engine. perfect amount of bounce and fit on the brackets with correct height and wire thickess for my weight.
Now on to the fuel sling.
Anyone have a preferred fuel bottle they use?

Last edited:
can you give me a shot of the 351 springs in there? i'm definitely interested in that.

I wish I were being paid :laugh:
I like stickers to cover the peeling spray bomb clear coat I have on my rear fender :)

A few months ago, I purchased some le prera seat shocks off ebay. Had crazy stiff springs rated at 750 lbs. Finally found a good substitute in the Ford springs that have much better cushioning. Only 4 bucks a piece at Napa. Fit well in the shocks with no adjustments. Most springs are too short or too narrow inside diameter to fit.

Here are a few comparison shots and the final assembly with the Ford Springs.

springcomparisonside.jpg

springcomparisontop.jpg

springs.jpg

Friggin sweet man! The valve spring thing is genius.
I've been wanting to get into leatherworking for quite some time. I think it's gonna hafta wait till my 650 project is done though bc for some reason, the 650 is making me never have any money leftover to do much else beside eat and put gas in the car to get to work. HAHA.
true..

Work,, eat, sleep, buy parts, repeat. :D

Looks great man... Here's s the last piece I did for a customer's son. POV76 on here does some killer stuff too...

Attachments

• 20121020_154625.jpg
    20121020_154625.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20121020_154534-1.jpg
    20121020_154534-1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20121020_154721.jpg
    20121020_154721.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 39
Back