anyone know where I can get one of these

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
been looking on ebay for a while now but never seen one unless its with an expensive cover attached .
panel fixing.jpg

cheers Jim ...........looks like I should have been searching for a knob :laugh2:

wonder what the cost is going to be for the knob and shipping from the US ? it might work out more expensive than buying a complete panel with a knob.:(

hey its only $118 ! bargain :)
knob.jpg

Ouch Peanut! $16.95 in Canada from XS650Direct (MikesXS Canadian affiliate) Free shipping if order is over $150 which we all know isn't hard to do!

Ouch indeed. Peanut, I shipped 10lbs of bike parts to the UK last week for $88. That's TEN POUNDS of stuff through postal. Shouldn't be more than 15-20 buck that way. PM me if you want me to buy it and ship it. You'll have to wait 'till I send in my next order to Mikes so we can get free shipping from there anyway...

Likewise Peanut. I have an order sitting in my shopping cart that I just need to pull the trigger on. Can add another set of these (already have one set in the order for a pair of used side covers I recently picked up from a local wreckers). Don't know what they weigh but can't see that shipping from another Commonwealth country would be $188. PM me if you'd like me to go ahead.

They're not a perfect replica and are cheaply made. My buddy had one break off last summer, side cover fell off, got run over and squashed, lol. But, there really are no options. N.O.S. originals sell for as much as $40 to $50 on eBay. I grabbed one up for about $15 last year. Some of you machinist guys should start making these. Aluminum knob pressed on a splined steel shaft ..... I'd give $20 for one of those.

Some of you machinist guys should start making these. Aluminum knob pressed on a splined steel shaft ..... I'd give $20 for one of those.

I seem to remember someone on the old forum making these way back . ;)

@ JimD84 & robinc thanks guys thats a very generous offer from you both .

I have a sizeable order pending myself to Heiden Tuning but have been unable to contact them for a few weeks now,
I might have a look at other generic fastenings that could be modded to suit ...and there is always Fowlers in the UK whom I have yet to contact so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I reckon something like this could be easily modified to do the job. If you just have to have original parts for a resto then perhaps not but this should do the job perfectly.
You could replace the threaded shaft with a plain one if you're fussy but all it needs is a couple of plain steel washers a suitable spring and a cross pin drilled and brazed through the end and voila !
fluted thumb screw.jpg

A very wise friend of mine once said "...nothing was ever made that couldn't be modified..."
If you can't find it anywhere, make it yourself. Besides the satisfaction, the part is instantly "custom".

A very wise friend of mine once said "...nothing was ever made that couldn't be modified..."
If you can't find it anywhere, make it yourself. Besides the satisfaction, the part is instantly "custom".

I always do look to see if I can source and utilize something from a different field if I can't find what I want at a reasonable price.
I've saved many £100s over the years.
I recently found some aftermarket Ford Transit sill panels that were an exact fit for my Porsche 944S2 . The original Porsche sills are extremely rare and cost upwards of £300 each. the Ford van sills cost me £20 each and you can't tell the difference once fitted .

Peanut, my SH has a different setup but this is how I repaired it:

Original right side plastic clip (My left side one was broken off):
Original.JPG

I matched the profile in brass combined with one of those plastic topped screw thingys:
Apart.JPG Together.JPG

The finished item with a rubber washer added:
New.JPG

You may be able to do something along these lines.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I used a 1/4-20 thumb screw, jam nut, and finished with a ball knob. Rubber grommet in the side cover. Steel side covers? Anyway, this worked out great. I didn't wanna use the factory type. I've noticed the right side cover has been missing on a few bikes I've bought. When kicking, knocking loose the cheap spring loaded push and twist shit. Good theory?

thats a neat solution Paul although knowing my luck I'd probably have them fall off like 5T and run over by a truck lol:)

I have ordered all the bits to use a photographic fluted knob with M6x30mm threaded bolt and tapered 3/16" pins .
I just need to find a suitable spring now and I'll make two to match.

i'll post an image when they are finished. It will be good to paint and fit my covers after all the years I've ridden the bike nekid :D

A previous owner in the US has marked the inside of the covers with what looks like a zip code 38593 ? followed by 3OR ? looks like they may have fallen off previously

Last edited:
On the SH the covers are less likely to fall off because the two clips at the top are at different angles. This means there is a set order in how they must come loose before falling off. But I guess if its possible then it may happen!

Thanks for the name "fluted knob" - now I know what to search for in future. They are handy things and I usually end up poaching them off my mitre box or saw bench. I currently need some for a telescope.

This is a great thread folks - and I’d sure like to echo Robin and Jim’s offer to buy and ship parts from here. Because I live on the Can-USA border, shipping from either country isn’t too big a deal for me - so lemme know if I can help.

Our XS650Direct outfit is essentially a Canadian version of Mike’sXS and while it is not perfect, I have found their stuff to be largely OK if the part is inspected and installed carefully.

On the issue of side cover retention, I was very fortunate in that Lucille :yikes: came with covers that were straight and had secure push&turn pins but the rubber “hanging” bracket covers up near the seat rails were crummy so I replaced those with new ones from XSDirect and glued them on with JBWeld. The hinged seat now retains the covers very effectively so that they would stay on - even if the push&turn latches failed.

Oddly, Lucille’s covers were still the 1976 factory red colour when I got her but they showed no evidence of ever having had decals on them. Our local public library did a spectacularly good job (IMO) of producing a set of sidecover decals on their CNC vinyl cutting machine - and of course, Diablo Cycle just up the road in London, ON can supply factory style decals for not much money (as I found out later). I’m still running the WPL decals at present because Lucille’s beautification program is still underway and they look great to me (I’d say they’re about 8 footers).

Pete

625F2C32-24FB-485D-9D8E-3C496EAB4D26.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the name "fluted knob" - now I know what to search for in future. They are handy things and I usually end up poaching them off my mitre box or saw bench. I currently need some for a telescope.

Paul: if you cannot find/poach the correct knobs locally, Lee Valley Tools - a Canadian outfit has a vast selection of that sort of thing and they ship globally.

Pete

On the SH the covers are less likely to fall off because the two clips at the top are at different angles. This means there is a set order in how they must come loose before falling off. But I guess if its possible then it may happen!

yes the fluted knob .....................guard these words well grasshopper .....it took me all flippin day to find it :)
Are the SH covers plastic or metal ?

Back