anyone understand scripts ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
my internet connection and page refresh rate has been chronically slow for months now so I abandoned my laptop and built a PC .

I have since bought and fitted 3x USB and PCI wifi adaptors but still have a slow connection .

Tonight I had the 'add on' bar on at the bottom of the screen and noticed that when I tried to connect to XS650.com I was being redirected to another URL called Viglink.com?

After some research it transpires that it is a purchasing tracker !

I have now downloaded 'noscript' add on for Firefox which should prevent the redirect.

I am fed up with everybody on the internet prying into my surfing habits and purchasing choices. Do you know what trackers are operating on your computer right now ?

You might find the attached link interesting particularly post #36 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47790794

I'll disable/enable javascript depending on my mood and paranoia.

When I enable it, I'm hoping the spyware reports that this guy's internet connection is crappy, improve it so we can better track him...

Sorry, Peanut - I am just getting to grips with WORD - but I am impressed with your versatility.

Anlaf

Thanks Anlaf .....peanut rubs chest ....
frankly if I could find a cure for my internet connection I'd also be impressed at my versitility lol

XS650.com has redirection to other sites for advertising purposes. Travis stats this in the introduction to the site.

Last edited:
i clicked onto the link you posted Peanut. I then checked the cookies in Firefox and found a Viglink cookie.

Last edited:
We've been using Viglink for years. Nothing has changed. What it does is gives credit to the site for sending traffic to other sites like ebay and Amazon. I could affiliate the links manually, but they have a script that does it automatically. Any link to a product you've ever clicked on in a blog does the same thing. That's how they make money. I would say almost all links on the internet are affiliated these days. I believe Viglink is a good unobtrusive way for the site to make money. Better than requiring subscriptions, begging for donations, or having the site overloaded with ads.

Regarding what Skull is talking about. Please review the last part of the Site Rules and Disclosure: http://www.xs650.com/forum/misc.php?do=showrules

Sorry Travis, I know it is near imposable but i try to keep the outsourcing and my info to a min. Google is the worse,

I have the Rating Icon in my Google toolbar and i thought with all the traffic you have it would show as a safe site. I have posted it as safe for me, maybe encourage others to do so as well.

Also changed my wording in post 6. No malice intended

Rating Icon? If you're talking about the page rank icon in the Google toolbar, that has nothing to do with how safe a site is. It is how important Google thinks a page is. It has to do with rank in the search results. If you mean something else, let me know more details so I can check it out. The site is safe and Viglink is not malicious and won't harm anything.

Peanut, if your internet connection was performing well, you'd probably be happily clicking and posting away, and not be overly concerned about analyitics and spyware. But now, you're trying to investigate the poor throughput (as I have been), and you're finding these backround activities thinking they're the cause.

What I'm finding out here is massive server timeouts, caused by internet congestion, confirmed by the net analyzers and my carrier. New carrier stores have popped-up out here, selling record numbers of access devices, overloading local servers, without a complimentary increase in service capability, known as 'oversubscription', a trick to improve revenue/cost ratio.

This scheme has been playing out for decades, and comes in bubbles. Eventually, the service is upgraded, customers get their throughput, the carriers tout the 'new and improved', customers flock to the store for the new stuff, and the cycle repeats, driven by technology, money and loosely on customer complaint statistics.

We're also dealing with a network backbone flooded with 'streaming' data, that internet-based TV stuff that's risen in popularity, and router exhaustion from massive net reroutes trying to handle the data. The backbone going thru Austin has had interference during the Google fibre-optic revamps going on over the last few months, and I suspect similar ongoing upgrades at other backbone bridge zones in larger metropolitan areas.

Lastly, did you know that your packets can be prioritized, and by buying certain 'packages', or nudging certain people, your traffic can trump others in the congestion gridlock. Others are doing this, and we're getting pushed to the bottom of the stack.

(*gasp*)

Have you tried a net analyzer? I use 'Network Signal Info' and 'Speedtest'...

yes I regularly use both and recently downloaded inSSIDer3 which is very informative but I must confess this side of computing is a black art to me :wtf:

Normally my connection is sufficiently fast that I would never have seen the viglen link and would have been completely unaware that it was there. I confess I hadn't noticed the statement on the site about its use but then I probably haven't really explored all of the site thoroughly.

Now that its use has been explained to me it is not a problem :wink2: but naturally with the current slow connection and poor signal strength I have I was looking for a culpret .

Peanut, if your internet connection was performing well, you'd probably be happily clicking and posting away, and not be overly concerned about analyitics and spyware. But now, you're trying to investigate the poor throughput (as I have been), and you're finding these backround activities thinking they're the cause.

What I'm finding out here is massive server timeouts, caused by internet congestion, confirmed by the net analyzers and my carrier. New carrier stores have popped-up out here, selling record numbers of access devices, overloading local servers, without a complimentary increase in service capability, known as 'oversubscription', a trick to improve revenue/cost ratio.

This scheme has been playing out for decades, and comes in bubbles. Eventually, the service is upgraded, customers get their throughput, the carriers tout the 'new and improved', customers flock to the store for the new stuff, and the cycle repeats, driven by technology, money and loosely on customer complaint statistics.

We're also dealing with a network backbone flooded with 'streaming' data, that internet-based TV stuff that's risen in popularity, and router exhaustion from massive net reroutes trying to handle the data. The backbone going thru Austin has had interference during the Google fibre-optic revamps going on over the last few months, and I suspect similar ongoing upgrades at other backbone bridge zones in larger metropolitan areas.

Lastly, did you know that your packets can be prioritized, and by buying certain 'packages', or nudging certain people, your traffic can trump others in the congestion gridlock. Others are doing this, and we're getting pushed to the bottom of the stack.

(*gasp*)

thats is very interesting twomany :thumbsup: I had sort of been aware of this for several years but its difficult to prove with your ISP.

Whenever my connection has seemed particularly slow I have contacted my ISP in the past and they have sworn blind that they were not 'throttling' or restricting data traffic in any way ....but then they would wouldn't they !?

I would like to have my telephone line tested because the number of new subscribers in my area has meant that the telephone line supplying my road has been mucked about with on a weekly basis but my telephone provider would charge $100+ and probably report nothing wrong !:banghead:

This time the problem lies mostly with my PC WiFi PCI adaptor .

I have bought and tried 2x USB adaptors which were useless.
This week I installed a Sumvision 300Mbps SVW322P PCI adaptor which is giving me a miserable 13Mbps connection speed ?

Yet my HP DV7 4000 laptop alongside the PC is giving me a solid 36+Mbps connection???:confused:

My next step is to see if I can get my WiFi Router tested . It is supplied by my ISP (BT) and could be the culpret I'll see if I can rake out a lead and hard wire the pc to the router and see what signal strength I get then.

Thanks for your advice :thumbsup: much appreciated

If you have an android smartphone, or a friend with one, you could install 'Network Signal Info' (by kaibits), and it will show your WiFi signal strength/quality/connect-rate as you walk around and wave it about, like an RF sniffer. Might find dead zones, weak spots, strong zones, or a broken WiFi. Displays in bar-graph or 'speedometer'...

Rating Icon? If you're talking about the page rank icon in the Google toolbar, that has nothing to do with how safe a site is. It is how important Google thinks a page is. It has to do with rank in the search results. If you mean something else, let me know more details so I can check it out. The site is safe and Viglink is not malicious and won't harm anything.

I have never really looked who made it and checking it now it is an avast site rating that people can vote on by what type of site it is, and give it a color bar rating for the severity of any virus /Trojans/malaware. I just thought it was a Google thing with out really looking. i realize viglink isn't malicious and that is why i changed my wording.

This site is great and is as safe as any i visit.

I found that keeping my computer cleaned of cookies helps it to run faster.

If you have an android smartphone, or a friend with one, you could install 'Network Signal Info' (by kaibits), and it will show your WiFi signal strength/quality/connect-rate as you walk around and wave it about, like an RF sniffer. Might find dead zones, weak spots, strong zones, or a broken WiFi. Displays in bar-graph or 'speedometer'...

thats a good idea !:thumbsup:
A couple of weeks ago I installed inSIDDer on my laptop and walked about the house to see if I could improve the signal. the really weird thing is the closer I got to the router the lower the signal strength was ???:wtf::confused:

It made me wonder if my WiFi connection was somehow being routed through one of my neighbours routers ? yet my connection clearly showed it was connected to my ISP provider .... How weird is that ! Never did get to the bottom of that.

My connection is so poor (1x bar) that the connection has been dropping out all morning . :banghead:

The UHF signals are a funny lot, they'll bounce around all over the place, and create deadzones from phase cancelling. Have you tried sampling from outside the house? Could be revealing...

The UHF signals are a funny lot, they'll bounce around all over the place, and create deadzones from phase cancelling. Have you tried sampling from outside the house? Could be revealing...

thats a good idea I'll try tomorrow morning. At the moment we have a heavy thunderstorm battering the house and I'm waiting for the inevitable power cut.
MMmmm 1am .......way past my bedtime !....

I found tech support:

Attachments

• BabyTech.gif
    BabyTech.gif
    121.1 KB · Views: 285
nearly spat my tea out :laugh::laugh::laugh:

he looks like a British Telecoms engineer :laugh:

Back