April 2012 XSOTM resto-mod voting and discussion

Who should be the April XSOTM Resto-mod winner?

• BCThomas

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • TeeCat

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Rick1450

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • SCHMEEL

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • PA23driver

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
We now have 5 nominations for the April XSOTM Resto-mod contest.

The poll will close on April 30th, the winner will have their bike photo posted to the XS650 home page and be permanently added to the XSOTM picture album, not to mention the incredible bragging rights that go with such a feat.

Contestants; please feel free to post details, how you came to build an XS650 project, and MORE pictures, links to your build thread etc.. Let me know if you would like me to use a different picture for the voting.
Viewers and voters may also make comments and ask questions, Please keep all comments positive!

In order of acceptance here are the contestants.

BC Thomas

full

TeeCat

full

Rick1450

full

SCHMEEL

full

PA23driver

full

There you have it 5 fine Resto-mod machines.
Let the voting, detail posts, and discussion start.
Honorable mention goes to Waco Brian and uh DirtyErnie???

i voted for TeeCat.

its a busy looking cafe but its done extremely well. i especially like how you handled the single carb setup - very tastefully done - i could see a lot of ppl just doing a complete hack job on the left side cover. i've been admiring your scoot for a while now. awesome bike.

Wow, guys... these are all great bikes! :) Congrats to all the noms! :)

And pa23driver, thanks for the vote of confidence and kind remarks. :)

By way of some brief background, I don't have a "build thread" per se, as I never considered my project to be a "build" in the usual context, but I suppose it's been more of a "resuscitation project". I do have a work list, though, that I have been maintaining as a kind of project history.

Since August '07, when I brought my bike home in the back of a pick-up as a non-running, smelly, leaky paperweight (but basically sound, platform for a mild cafe- roadster), I have done the work that follows, under the patient guidance of others here and at the former 650rider.com. I am by no means a natural mechanic, and have particular difficulty grasping matters electrical or electronic, in particular. But I'm persistent, and I had an image in my head of the cafe-roadster "crossbreed" that I wanted to wind up with. One day, I'd like to pull the motor out of the frame and go learn how to go through it to see to its absolute soundness once and for all, but at the moment I'll just have to optimistically mind a minor oil weep or two, and address them as needed, which has been working for me thus far.

This bike was built the year that I graduated from high school, a wide-eyed 18 year-old in whose house motorcycles were forbidden. All I could do back then, in terms of getting close to a bike like this (or any motorcycle) was stare and daydream. But in 2006, I got my endorsement as a sort of "self-enrichment" endeavor, and became the proud owner of a 2005 Kwak Ninja 250R, which I still own. The TX came along late the following summer as a "light fixer-upper" non-runner. Little did I know what I was getting into. But now she starts on the first hot kick, and I don't have to tell any of you about the sound and feel of being pushed back against the bumstop when you roll on the throttle of a healthy 650 twin. Sure, there have been times when I wanted to kick her over in the middle of the street. But as I write this, I'm glad I didn't.

Once again, I offer my gratitude to the innumerable folks here (and in the former 650rider.com) who have assisted (and continue to assist) me on this project, as well as our generous forum host(s).

Cheers!

TC

Aesthetics/Function/Handling

- new tires (Kenda Challenger Sport)
- new clubman bars
- new cafe/solo saddle
- pillion pegs removed
- new reverse cone "shorty" mufflers w/handmade custom fitted aluminum hangers
- new cafe/bobber tail light/tag frame combo (NOTE: Due to damage to rear fender and tail light/tag combo (Feb '12), bobbed existing fender and installed Mike's tail light/tag combo #11-2342.)
- installed bungee knobs (re-purposed swingarm spools) on rear fender/bungee net
- new grips
- new Napoleon trapezoidal bar-end mirrors
- new XS Performance cam-end and alternator covers
- matte polished fork lowers and rear hub
- re-blacked left/right engine case covers
- wrapped exhaust headers
- installed heat resistant covers on plug wires/caps
- replaced all peg/shifter/kick rubbers
- replaced fuel tank rear rubber mount
- black leather tool roll (mounted forward of saddle bumstop) containing CruzTools road kit/incidentals
- ShockSox road bike fork seal dust covers (black)
- painted rear brake stabilizer arm and actuator rod Rustoleum Aluminum
- National Cycle flyscreen
- handmade aluminum gauge visors
- handmade aluminum crank case (top) reflector plate

Electrical

- replaced brake light switch - front
- replaced brake light switch - rear
- replaced brushes
- new PAMCO electronic ignition trigger/dual point coil/wires/caps/iridium plugs (NOTE: Due to unexplained failure of Mike's coil #17-6803 (Jan '12), replaced it with Mike's #17-6822, with less voltage, but smaller and with built-in, rearward-facing wires. Also reverted to stock NGK plugs w/stock gap of .028).
- installed bar-mounted voltage gauge
- new solid state regulator/rectifier
- new sealed AGM battery
- replaced grommets in headlamp bucket
- properly installed (soldered/heatshrunk) poorly installed 20 amp blade-type main fuse
- replaced broken '77 hi-/low-beam, horn, turn signal control switch with new '77 switch
- installed Bike Master short-stalk turn signals w/custom brackets front and rear
- 552 signal flasher relay

Mechanical/Fuel/Lubrication

- new left/right fuel tank petcocks
- replaced crankshaft seal
- replaced output shaft seal
- replaced all cables
- cleaned (multiple times) and synched carbs, set float height
- replaced needle/seat combos in both carbs
- new clear fuel line with in-line conical fuel filters
- replaced Advance Timing Unit, serviced rod
- replaced clutch actuator unit (includes worm gear)
- replaced clutch lever and perch (summer '11)
- new intake manifolds
- replaced phillips screws in carb bowls with allen heads for on-bike bowl-removal
- new XS Performance pod air filters
- replaced stock upper oil filter with billet aluminum XS Performance oil cooler/filter
- replaced sump filter
- designed (using PAMCO Pete's original concept) and installed experimental (Spectre Performance Products) cold air plenums for head temperature reduction
- installed reed breather valve, hose, and filter for creation/maintenance of crankcase vacuum and minimization of oil leaks
- replaced oil plug copper crush washers
- replaced missing cork ring for timing chain dome cover
- added rare earth magnets to outside of fuel tank, just forward of petcocks, to minimize migration of metallic sediment into fuel system
- see front brake rehab (below)
- added RR dipstick oil temperature gauge
- re-torqued cylinder head/replaced notoriously weak OEM rubber coated washers (under four outer acorn nuts) with brass, as well as under inner four. Remainder were replaced with Grade 8 steel washers. (January 2012)
- replaced leaking timing chain adjuster case gasket, removed black paint from case, inspected adjuster mechanism (exhibited little to no wear on idler wheel or plastic traveler) (April 2012)

-------------------------------------
October 2010 - Mikuni VM 36mm RS Single Carb Conversion Project (installation/dial-in):

- Wiseguy Customs 2-into-1 chrome ceramic-coated intake manifold (cafe/tracker configuration)
- air screw currently @1 turn out
- main air correction jet in intake bell: removed
- pilot jet: 25
- main jet: 200
- 159-P8 needle jet/6F9 needle (clip in middle slot)
- left side cover modified to accommodate single carb
- Mike's XS oval pod filter w/ custom aluminum air shroud
- single in-line Purolator F10024 (one-piece, all metal) fuel filter (January 2012; replaces easily damaged plastic conical fuel filters)
- Motion-Pro 1/4" fuel line

August 2011 - Front Brake Rehab:

- New stock-type master cylinder (Mike's XS)
- New upper/lower hoses (Mike's XS)
- Rebuilt original caliper with seal kit from Mike's XS; repainted w/gloss black caliper paint

Here are a few more pics... a couple laterals and detail shots:

Attachments

• 100_1374.jpg
    100_1374.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 835
  • 100_1378.jpg
    100_1378.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 775
  • 100_1383.jpg
    100_1383.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 756
  • 100_1384.jpg
    100_1384.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 656
  • 100_1385.jpg
    100_1385.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
in MY OPINION- I see three cafe bikes(bars and seat), one stocker, and one resto/mod. VOTE for pedro! me

77' resto/mod STILL in progress. bike has 48,000+ miles on it. daily rider that's still using points ing.

so far i've done paint(haven't wet sanded or buffed out yet), color pops in the sun, otherwise it just looks maroon
chopped 2" of top of seat which will be replaced with the skateboard stlye
chromed the fork lowers
rechromed pipes, and valve covers
added floater brake rotor
has honda taillight currently( will be replaced with homemade hanging off side).

want to add gold accents/scallops to the tins, change headlight, and turn signals. and probably lower it also.

will also be building custom pipes with cocktail shakers next week!<- these pipes will be for sale soon

full

full

Wow...my bike feels like a dirty rat now..haha.

I've wanted an XS650 since I was four and watched my uncle roll up his blacked out cafe style XS but the right one never seemed to be around at the right time for me and I always ended up riding other vintage Japanese machines. I happened across this one locally last year and saw a perfect platform for my vision. I wanted a bike with modern performance that still looked like a vintage hot rod going down the road. I wanted to steal second and third glances back at my machine as I walked away from it in a parking lot.
d3a25c2e.jpg

After 1st real mock up of the major components.
820d5c70.jpg

I live in foothills of the Ozark Mountains and love to hit the twisties on Bicycles, in old German cars and on motorcycles of course so killer brakes and good suspension were my first priority. I'm small business owner, a type one diabetic and a father of two kids under 5 so my time and $ are usually tied up elsewhere but I had a partially parted 200 ZX6R wreck in the garage and a few spare moments so I decided to dive in and get started with a front swap.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=172279#post172279
I spent the little bit of cash I had from parting other bikes on a motolanna seat, redwing shocks, rearsets and some super light Vortex clip ons.
I've still got quite a ways to go but I love the stance a proportions so far and can't wait to get it all tightened up this summer so I can do more than put around my block.
editedsideview.jpg

editedrear3_4.jpg

I drew lots of inspiration from builds I saw here and hope I can provide some when I get this thing finished. Thanks for looking and for the feedback....I'm glad my vision speaks to some of you out there as well.

Last edited:
i voted for TeeCat.

its a busy looking cafe but its done extremely well. i especially like how you handled the single carb setup - very tastefully done - i could see a lot of ppl just doing a complete hack job on the left side cover. i've been admiring your scoot for a while now. awesome bike.

+1 for TeeCat. BC Thomas, I like the direction you are going; you'll have my vote next time around

All great bikes
I voted for Rick1450. Dame nice looking bike, (love the 78/79 specials), the low bars with the bar-end mirrors look great, and change the dynamics of the specials and because of the involvement with his daughter.

Teecat, has done the most mods without really changing the essence of the TX and the commitment and perseverance and his openness is always a delight. Been following the progress since 650Rider and for the first 2-3 years i couldn't make up my mind if he was photographing the timber deck or the bike.:D never seemed to move:thumbsup:

I felt bcthomas,s bike is a rat/cafe and the frame is cut. I feel once a frame has been cut it can't belong to a resto. also it feels as though it is not finished, (is that a requirement), and rideable. Has calipers no rotors. looking good.

SCHMEEL and PA23driver, both have great bikes so make it hard to choose from and in the end it is what catches the eye and the black and chrome done it for me.

Congratulations to you all:thumbsup:

Skull... greets. :) I apologize if this seems a bit of a diversion from the spirit of your commentary, but:

...and the commitment and perseverance and his openness is always a delight. Been following the progress since 650Rider and for the first 2-3 years i couldn't make up my mind if he was photographing the timber deck or the bike. never seemed to move.

:D

When I read that, I had Einstein's Coffee with Splenda and skim milk come out my nose. :laughing: And the funniest part is that you're spot on about all... especially the timber deck! :p I actually recall thinking, "I gotta start shooting this bike somewhere else or these cats are gonna think I never threw a leg over!" :p

Funny as hell! :D

TC

hey Teecat, No diversion from the spirit at all, :), hoping you would see the funny side. Went back and looked at a pic of the bike when you first got it. All the mods improve the look :bike:

Skull, thanks so much. I appreciate your interest. :)

hoping you would see the funny side.

Man, are you kidding? Being me, I have no choice but to see the funny side! That's what happens when you can screw up a wet dream without even trying! :p Out in the little building where I work on the TX, I have little mices. :p Cute little boogers... little brown wood mice. They sit on top of the table saw and watch me working, most often, it seems, when things are going less than splendidly. But they show no fear of me at all. The conversation goes something like thusly:

Mouse #1, quizzically: What the f*ck is he doing to that thing now?!

Mouse #2, wryly: Dunno. *shrugs* Ham-fisted f*ck. 'e's a right moron, yeah?! Funny, tho! *blinks, eats a seed and watches some more*

:p

TC

Back