April XSOTM Resto-mod nominations and discussion

No prob. I think that picture is great. I'm gonna use it for wallpaper on one of my computers. Is that your Ducati rotors on the shelf?

That other tank looks like it's off of a DT or something. Reminds me of my youth.

Those are the ones. The tank is alloy off of an MX.

I accept,

Selling the mini sprint tommorrow, that means new headlight, front blinkers, Custom pipes with sum cocktail shaker muff's.

And I'm still on fence about buying some rebel shocks...... Any thoughts on this. <

we seem to need another contestant, so i'll just leave this here....

Attachments

• bike 4.jpg
    bike 4.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 391
Thanks for the nominations SCHMEEL and WacoBrian.

heres a little bit bout the bike and some additional pictures to go with it:

it is a 1977 standard that i rescued from being turned into a dirt bike in october of 2010.

things i've done:
  • re-welded the rear frame loop back on - i like to keep it as stock as possible.
  • stripped and powder coated the frame
  • installed progressive fork springs
  • needle bearings in the stearing head and swingarm
  • rebuilt the top end with the usual stuff - rings, cam chain, front cam chain guide, chain tensioner...
  • polished the cases and forks
  • stripped the wheels, had the rims powder coated, relaced with mikes stainless steel spokes and polished the hubs.
  • dropped the points and installed a pamco
  • exhaust was rough so i installed mikes 1.5 in headers with commando pipes
  • replaced stock swingarm with a tx750 arm and chain gaurd
  • stripped seat pan, reinforced it with fiberglass and reupholstered with a cafe style foam and cover
  • UNI pod filters
  • bought a used instrument cluster and installed it (PO got rid of it)
  • new master cylinder
  • clubman handle bars with CRM lanesplitter mirror
  • removed blinkers
  • JBM carb manifolds and slide diaphragms.
  • dropped the electric starter - she's kick only.

a lot of fun to ride, is very quick, handles like a dream with the only limitation being groud clearance. kept the centerstand and all wiring and electrical controls are stock and un-butchered (never know when its time to bring her back to stock). currently tuning the carbs and putting some final touches on the rim truing. looking forward to the warm weather so i can enjoy the northern michigan sights

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 380
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 354
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 354
And we have it! 5 bikes nominated seconded and accepted. voting thread will go up shortly. (well you know)
Feel free to chip in here about next months theme also. We have one suggestion for stock specials so far.

i'm not sure if there are many out there, but how bout rat rod type bikes?

not talking bobbers/choppers. bikes that are functional with suspensions, basically stock but made to look rough - hi quality, well done "rough"...

Here's my scooter. Seems to fit the class.

CHASSIS
Frame, swing arm, and trees and rear fender are from an '83 Special; Forks are Cerianni; All balls tapered bearings in the stem/ Mikes needle bearings in the swing arm; Rear wheel is relaced 18" '75; Front wheel is Sun (Akront type) 19" laced to a '59 Triumph hub (brake torque arm stay is handmade from a Betor fork top clamp) front fender is aluminum with hand-made braces; IKON shocks and rear springs; All the steel is powder-coated. Seat is from a '75. I had it recovered in leather. Tank is Mikes (modeled on '79 I believe). Bars are Mike's european bend but I cut 1 1/2 inches off each side. Levers are Magura. Perches are dirt bike (no switches) grips are the long GP's like the ones Moto Guzzi used to use

INSTURMENTS/SWITCHES
Only switch on the bars is the horn button. Main and light switches are push-pull on the right cover; dip switch is a two way toggle on the head light shell. Only insturment is a tach. Tach bucket is aluminum; I made it out of a fire extinguisher

MOTOR
"old school" street rod. LA Sleeves/Wiseco 10.5 pistons, welded crank, Shell #1 cam, ports cleaned up. VM 34's w/ uni-filters

EXHAUST
Mikes (I forgot which one) headers that I bent up on the end so that the Peashooters would clear the rear axel. Handmade brackets give the cans extra support;

ELECTRICS
Lights
Lucas shell (with ammeter) and lens (modded to take H2 bulb)
Bates tail light

Ignition
Pamco with Mikes Coils

Charging (PM)
RD rotor, Kaw stator (mounted using the first bracket that Mr. Riggs sold) Honda RR. This systen puts out 13.9 volts at idle, climbs to 14.5 at 3 grand and stays there 'til red line.

It is usually a one-kick starter with or without the battery.

Attachments

• Comet full view.jpg
    Comet full view.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Comet driver view.jpg
    Comet driver view.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 355
  • Comet right side.jpg
    Comet right side.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 397
looks like I got to the party a tad late.
Maybe it will fit some future category.
Lots of nice bikes here; congrats to all.

Back