Are Clip-ons safe?

pablopablo

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm considering clip-on handle bars but i have been told that they vibrate a lot and are very dangerous on early models (specifically mine is a yamaha 650 xs 1972). They'd look so good though but i doon't want to buy them just to find out they're to dangerous. Have any of you guys had this experience? Could you tell me the differences in ride with clip-ons?
thanks guys.
If you've had a good experience with a set that are available on the net could you provide a link to them if possible.

Last edited:
I sure hope so because I just got home from hitting turns at 120mph on a bike with clip-ons.

Of course, they're safe. All of the fastest, highest HP and best handling race motorcycles in the world run clip-ons. Not to mention every modern supersport bike for years comes from the factory with clip-ons. Just make sure they're nice and tight

What bobber bill said. W/ that said unless I'm leaning the bike and getting my full on aggressive riding on, I really hate clip ons. Pablopablo, first you better work on your core muscles and leg strength. Which leads me to my next point, you're going to want to grip the bike/tank with your legs on longer rides to take weight off your wrists. That leads to the next point, clip ons can be made semi comfortable w/ the correct adjustments in seat height, bar height, rear set height etc. I'm used to riding a Duc 748S and you're fully committed to the tuck position on that bike. Even Speedymotor upper triple and risers don't help much.

So I guess, just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you go with clip ons. If you want a 30 minute rider, sure have at it. But anything over that and you'll probably want to reconsider. Your wrists and back will thank you later ;)

If you can, go to a local dealer and ask to test ride any of todays supersports or superbikes. Most of those should come equipped with clip ons. Granted todays superbikes have a much more street friendly riding position than of some of the more dedicated older "street" bikes but none the less still uncomfortable for long stints.

What kind or style of bike are you wanting to attach these clip ons to? If it's a cafe, yes it will fit the part, but just make sure you find a position that's comfortable to you before you weld on the pegs/rear sets and attach those clip ons. I'd also make sure you have enough seat height to grab the tank (w/ the inside of your legs) to take weight off your wrists.

Sorry for the long and semi repetitive post.

I'm used to riding a Duc 748S and you're fully committed to the tuck position on that bike. Even Speedymotor upper triple and risers don't help much.

That Duc is one of the most ergonomically unforgiving bikes out there. I would be quick to warn others about the discomfort associated with running clip-ons too if I had one of those superbikes, not that my primary bike is any less track focused. But then again, I basically started riding on supersport bikes so anything with risers and dirt style bars feels strange and disconnected to me.

Hi Pablopablo.

I´ve been using clip-ons on a couple of old jap-bikes.....mostly Suzukis.

These bikes are not to compare with new sportbikes witch come with clip ons from the factory.

Most old bikes are suffering from a "weak" frame and that will be more obvious with clip ons, if you ask me. It can make you getting the feeling that the bike is out riding with you instead of the opposite. Because of that you´ll be forced to really "get one with the bike". Once you get a hold of that you´ll experience a more intense driving.....much more fun:thumbsup:

BUT!!!!! if you don´t look for that more active riding I would say clip ons may not the best choice.

/BIgBoreSwede

Ive been using clip-ons on my r5 for a few years with no issues, and plan to get some for my xs. Does anyone know torque specs for the clip on bolts?

You guys are missing something here, early XS650s were notorious head shakers, that big ass friction knob is there for a reason. With short leverage and a crouched over riding position clip ons may very well be unsafe on an early XS650. I went through a speed wobble on a 71 the worst I have ever experienced on a motorcycle. Fortunately I was young and a fast learner (or lucky) I figured out that by PUSHING hard on both handlebars I was able to damp out the wobble. NO AMOUNT of pulling on the handlebars will help. The aviators have a term for this, more than one pilot has died, of PIO or Pilot Induced Oscillation. I have never forgotten that lesson and have quickly damped out a few less violent head shakes over the years by PUSHING.
My advice? No clip ons on a stock 72 front end. Yamaha made a lot of changes to everything up there in 74 to end that issue. I am still surprised they went that long before they did something.

I am running clip-ons on my 73, but also replaced the head bearings with Mikes tapered bearings. Solid as can be and a blast in the twisties!!

Tanner_Cafe.jpg

You guys are missing something here, early XS650s were notorious head shakers, that big ass friction knob is there for a reason. With short leverage and a crouched over riding position clip ons may very well be unsafe on an early XS650. I went through a speed wobble on a 71 the worst I have ever experienced on a motorcycle. Fortunately I was young and a fast learner (or lucky) I figured out that by PUSHING hard on both handlebars I was able to damp out the wobble. NO AMOUNT of pulling on the handlebars will help. The aviators have a term for this, more than one pilot has died, of PIO or Pilot Induced Oscillation. I have never forgotten that lesson and have quickly damped out a few less violent head shakes over the years by PUSHING.
My advice? No clip ons on a stock 72 front end. Yamaha made a lot of changes to everything up there in 74 to end that issue. I am still surprised they went that long before they did something.

I noticed some wobble as well at higher speeds on my '72 r5, after adding an aftermarket steering damper it seems fine. Not sure if that would work on an xs but thought I would share.

The occasional headshake, speed wobbles and even full on tank-slappers are all just a part of riding in my opinion. It's your job as a motorcyclist to know how to survive these situations. Now if you're getting them all of the time on a properly setup front end, you should invest in a good steering damper. I like linear piston types better than rotary, but both work great.

I don't know. Maybe I'm a nutcase, maybe my balls are too big for own good. All I'm saying is that certain dangers and risks just come with the territory. Especially when you're riding/chopping these old bikes

seen these by Tingate? standard clip ons, half rise and full rise, I will be putting half rise on mine when bobberbills top triple arrives

Attachments

• tingate_high.jpg
    tingate_high.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 187
  • tingate_lo.jpg
    tingate_lo.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 190
  • tingate_med.jpg
    tingate_med.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 214
Back