At a loss with my charging system.

Graeme1198

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I’ve had a few issues with my charging system.
It’s an 82 so the headlight is linked into the system so I know I’ve got problem.

I’ve been referred to the tech page where the very thorough list of electrical faults was very helpful, but I’m still not able to get it going.

I’ll go through the list of what I’ve done with my results....

Battery is good, 12.6v left a signal running for 20 mins or so and camp back and still up at 12.4v charge up again to 12.6v
Fluids topped up in battery I’m happy that’s ok.

Slap test, Poor have to take the cover off to stick and even then it’s about 2-3mm away from the rotor nut. Is not different magnetic field with the ignition on or off.

New brushes.

Rotor is clean.

Green reg/Rec wire to ground, no change in voltage. Even with rpm up.

Brown wire voltage test on brush, 12.4v the same as the battery.

Rotor ring test: 5.3 Ohms

Ring test to ground: infinity

I can bypass the B/BL and the R/W on the connections to the relay to get the headlight to turn on, it will turn on and stay on, I can then ground it to switch it off. So I know the headlight circuit is ok.

Does anyone have any more things I could try?

Thanks guys.

Slap test, Poor have to take the cover off to stick and even then it’s about 2-3mm away from the rotor nut. Is not different magnetic field with the ignition on or off.
So basically no magnetic field?
Here's what you need to create that mag. field.... 12V to the rotor, about 5 ohms across the rotor and a ground on the other (green) brush. The brushes need to make a solid contact to the rings.
You've stated above you have all 3 conditions met (pwr, gnd and correct resistance), therefor you should be creating a magnetic field. So.... sumpin' don't add up. Some nice closeup pics of all the components involved and the shots of the meter reading might help us.

So basically no magnetic field?
Here's what you need to create that mag. field.... 12V to the rotor, about 5 ohms across the rotor and a ground on the other (green) brush. The brushes need to make a solid contact to the rings.
You've stated above you have all 3 conditions met (pwr, gnd and correct resistance), therefor you should be creating a magnetic field. So.... sumpin' don't add up. Some nice closeup pics of all the components involved and the shots of the meter reading might help us.

I’ve only got a few pictures from the tests I’ve been doing, but not all of them. (Ohm test on rotor and A few others.
I’ll go through the tests again tomorrow when I’ve got an extra pair of hands and post some pictures of the other tests for you.

One thing I was going to ask, my brush screws are metal, I’ve seen some pictures of metal ones holding peoples brushes in place and some are nylon. Is this an issue?

If you have the stock 82 brush holder, the metal screws are the correct ones.

If you have the stock 82 brush holder, the metal screws are the correct ones.

This is a picture of the assembly.

Attachments

• FAA0CE63-A1CC-41F7-AB29-DD4A14317275.jpeg
    FAA0CE63-A1CC-41F7-AB29-DD4A14317275.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 3731BCC5-13FD-4CB5-91C3-D97B518E75A7.png
    3731BCC5-13FD-4CB5-91C3-D97B518E75A7.png
    743.9 KB · Views: 166
... And we have a winner. ;) Amazing what a pic can show us. You're inner brush is 180 out and not connected.

brush 2.png

Pay no attention to the green arrow. Rotate the brush so it looks like this... red arrows

brushes.png

... And we have a winner. ;) Amazing what a pic can show us. You're inner brush is 180 out and not connected.

View attachment 158072

Pay no attention to the green arrow. Rotate the brush so it looks like this... red arrows

View attachment 158073

Well, I feel like an absolute idiot!
Didnt even notice that!

I’m going to go and buy a set of glasses I think!

Thank you very much Jim

You may have a bit more going on here. What's that silver thing I see in your 1st pic coming out from the lower brush screw by your finger? Is that some sort of metal "jumper" plate tying it to the other lower screw? If so, you don't want that. Each brush screw and wire should be isolated from anything else. Here's a labeled pic .....

dQyF0pr.jpg

You may have a bit more going on here. What's that silver thing I see in your 1st pic coming out from the lower brush screw by your finger? Is that some sort of metal "jumper" plate tying it to the other lower screw? If so, you don't want that. Each brush screw and wire should be isolated from anything else. Here's a labeled pic .....

dQyF0pr.jpg

It looks like it in the picture but it’s not got a jumper plate or anything there. It’s just the angle of the camera. I had to go out and have a look :thumbsup:

OK, I see it now that I looked closer, yes, it's the wire clamp.

Back