Athena Base Gasket

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys just got the rebuilt engine running for the first time today. I've noticed over that last 48 hours that the base gasket seems to be seeping a bit, not enough to drip. I hear these Athena gaskets are treated with some heat activated chemical to seal. If this is true should I ignore it till the engine is broken in and see if its still seeping then? Honestly if it is it's just gonna seep ha, one rebuild on the engine this year is enough for me. But hoping it will seal up once its been heated for a while.

All the ones I've done have sealed right up, not seeped a bit then sealed. Take a close look at the cam chain adjuster cap nut. Many times a leak there will dribble down and appear to be coming from the base gasket.

When you assemble this or any motor, all the gasket surfaces need to be really, really clean and totally oil-free. If you screw this part up, you can expect oil leaks. I give all the gasket surfaces a final wipe down before assembling with lacquer thinner. Then I make it a point not to touch any of them, even with my finger tips.

well that much care was not put into this build ha. Guess there's a few things you learn after doing it multiple times huh? Anyway I'll check that because now that I think about it I did have the acorn nut off when I started it so maybe that's my issue. (hopefully)

could be both the acorn nut, and a dirty gasket surface. My base gasket saeled right up, same one.
I didnt wipe with lacuer thinner though, just carb cleaner. didnt really pay attention to touching the surfaces during assembly either, no leaks though.
see if there is a trail of oil running from your cam chain adjuster to the base.
what did you torque the acorn nuts on you head to?

Back