Attach seat upholstery

alwaysmonday

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I would like to upholster my own seat pan but I'm at a loss of how to attach the covering on the underside of the seat. For those of you who have upholstered and aluminum seat pan... What method did you used to secure the covering on the underside of the pan (snaps, rivets, clamp...)?

The stock seat appears to have barbs cut into the pan which the seat cover is stretched over. The barb method seems pretty unforgiving IMO and I think it would be hard to get the material stretched evenly and secured using a barb method for a first timer.

I would love to see some photos of the underside of the seats showing the method you used along with a brief narrative of your process.

Thanks,

Jon

I use pop rivets. Predrill the holes in the bottom of the seat pan with 1/8" drill bit. Use a punch, nail set, or something to probe for the holes through the vinyl. Use aluminum rivets as they are more suitable for the soft vinyl than the steel rivits. Use rivet "backing plates" as washers between the rivet head & vinyl. Works well, is easy and can be drilled out if re-upholster time comes again.

Here is a thread from another forum that may be of some help to you.

Replacing Seat Upholstery

Here is a page with a video right on the front with how it's done.

P&K Classic Bikes
I don't like the way the spikes are pointed in the horizontal direction. Those hooks should be pointed to the top of the seat.

The are many videos on YouTube about recovering a seat.

Thanks for the information guys. I really like the idea of using rivets on the underside of the seat. Seems very simple and forgiving.

This has really got me excited about trying to sew up a proper seat cover this year. I'll have to do it at night so my wife doesn't catch me taking her $$$ sewing machine into the garage!

Jon

Be prepared to reposition a few spots to fine tune your work. If you need to add foam or reshape the foam, professional grade contact cement (spray) and an electric carving knife (kitchen grade) work great. If you are going to use vinyl use marine grade (Joann Fabric) with a wide stitch using upholstery thread (Walmart, Coats brand, 100% nylon). Cover the foam with batting material for a smoother look, cover the edges with the batting too for a much better outcome.

Scott

Last edited:
Back