Aussie Cafe build

phil1rowe4

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I thought it was about time I started my build thread and maybe give something back after gaining so much valuable information from this forum and other's build threads.

The second bike I ever owned, back in 1978 was an XS650C and it was one of my favourite bikes ever. I still remember terrorising my neighbours with the straight thru Triumph trumpet exhausts.

Recently, I got the crazy idea to buy another one and have been looking around for the last 12 months for a good XS to buy and modify into a racer/café style bike.

Well, I finally found one in good condition with many of the changes that I wanted to install, like Mikuni VM34 carbs, electronic ign and Pamco alternator etc. so it was an ideal candidate. It was also running and registered which makes life easier here in Australia too.

It is an 81 Special and had +2" fork tubes, and some other styling that I didn't particularly like, but they were easily removed/changed.

I've got a few other bikes at the moment including an Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Suzuki SV1000 and Suzuki GSXR 1000 and have been riding for 30 + years and have owned lots of older Yammies, including XS650, XS750, XJ650, RD350LC.

I've previously built a Lotus clubman from scratch and have a fairly good workshop with lathe and small mill, so I hope to do a good quality ground-up rebuild into something I'm proud of.

Cheers,

Phil.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 477
  • starter_left.jpg
    starter_left.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
The first project was to replace the heavy cast wheels with some spoked ones, but these are getting harder to find here, so had to travel for 8 hr return trip to get some second hand ones in fairly rough condition.

Fr hub old.jpg

Rr hub old.jpg

But after lots of polishing, some new bearings, rims, and spokes they turned out ok.

Fr Wheel new.jpg

Rr Wheel New.jpg

wheel true.jpg

I've just had Conti Classic Attack tyres fitted and very happy with them so far. I got these ones because they are the only ones I could find that are a radial ply rather than x-ply or bias ply tyres so hopefully newer technology with give a better tyre.

Also had a new exhaust headers made up with a minimalist look and better ground clearance.

exhaust1.jpg

Anyway, Here it is at the moment with new wheels and tyres, and clip-ons being tested.

Wheels on.jpg

Next challenge is to work out the front brakes. I've got some FJ1200 rotors for testing and working out the spacer requirements with whatever calipers I choose to get. I'm probably looking at 2 pot single sided ones so they fit more easily with the spokes. Current candidates are Tokico ones from an SV650/ Kawasaki ER6N or maybe Brembos from a Monster 800 S2R.

Cheers, Phil

hey phil ive started a cafe racer as well im in camira near springfeild ive been trying to find a good machanic to work on my bike in the area but no luck can you let me know who you use thanks Andrew

Hi Phil,
looks like a great job.
I swapped my cast wheels for wire wheels a few years back because wire wheels look so much nicer.
Did you do an accurate weight comparison on your wheels?
I check-weighed mine by stepping on a bathroom scale while holding each of the wheels in turn and although I do not remember the numbers they were not very different.

Hi Andrew,

Great to hear there's another builder in Brissie. We'll have to catch up sometime and compare notes. I generally do all my own mechanical work, so I don't have a mechanic that I use. What sort of mechanical work are you after?

Hi Fredintoon,

I just weighed the old and new wheels with the following results (all with tyres):

Fr cast wheel with rotors: 17kg
Fr spoked wheels with rotors:13.5kg

Rr cast wheel (no sprocket): 14.6kg
Rr spoked wheel (w/ sprocket): 15.1kg

Of course its not just about total weight. Weight distribution between hub and rim can also make a significant difference.

I've replaced the +2" fork tubes with standard tubes and tweaked the fork internals so I'm keen to see how it handles now with the new setup.

Last edited:
hey phil the bike im doing hasnt been started for years im putting a pamco on it but not sure how to time it or set it up im a boilermaker by trade but have the machanical ability of a retarded monkey .my email in ren-andy@bigpond.net.au ive finished the body work but not sure what to do next .Andrew

Hi,

Just thought I'd post a quick update.

I made up a tacho blank plug the other day as I'm intending to use an electronic dash in the future.

I've also bought some footrest plates and am looking at ways to mount them. My only concern is that they're too far back so would love to hear people's opinions on best place for footrests. I'm using a longer tank so the seat position is likely to be quite rearward. Looked at lots of pics and seems to be a huge range of footrest positions.

Attachments

• instruments.jpg
    instruments.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 401
  • tacho blank.jpg
    tacho blank.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 413
  • footrest mount1.jpg
    footrest mount1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 435
  • footrest mount2.jpg
    footrest mount2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 447
  • footrest mount3.jpg
    footrest mount3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 491
Hi,

I received some Brembo 2 pot calipers today (from a 2006 Ducati S2R 800) and roughed up a mounting bracket to test the fitment. They fit really well with a 6mm spacer under the rotor (from an FJ1200) with tons of clearance to the spokes and fork leg.
If anyone has any thoughts about the mounting bracket design I'd appreciate your thoughts. I'll probably make it out of 10 or 12mm 6061 Ali plate.

Attachments

• Fr disk mount.jpg
    Fr disk mount.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 473
  • Fr disk spacing.jpg
    Fr disk spacing.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 422
  • Brembos.jpg
    Brembos.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 406
Hi, - - - I've also bought some footrest plates and am looking at ways to mount them. My only concern is that they're too far back so would love to hear people's opinions on best place for footrests. I'm using a longer tank so the seat position is likely to be quite rearward. Looked at lots of pics and seems to be a huge range of footrest positions.

Hi Phil,
only you can decide where your feet need to be.
Once you have the new seat mounted, sit on the bike and put your feet where they feel they aught to go.
But I don't think those fancy-dan brackets are going to work for you.
I'd say carve yourself a set of plates from 12mm aluminum plate and bolt them onto the frame's stock 'peg mounts.
Me, I'd use rubber sleeves and washers to mount them, just like factory.

Nice build so far.

How about a picture of the tread on your Classic Attack tire.

Hi CalsXS2, here's a pic of the rear tyre.

Also, here's the front disk spacers in the making.

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 401
  • spacers1.jpg
    spacers1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 428
I'm really stoked that I've now finished the front brake assemblies.
New rotor spacers made and caliper mounts finished and polished.

I'm using a master cylinder from a GSXR600 which has a nice feel so far. I'll have to wait to see what it feels like on the road.

Attachments

• Fr disk spacing2.jpg
    Fr disk spacing2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 425
  • Fr disk mount done.jpg
    Fr disk mount done.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 465
Just finished the front speedo blank and quite pleased with how it came out.
Fr spacer1.jpg Fr spacer2.jpg

I also took the bike for a quick run around the block to test the brakes before it gets stripped down to the frame for a tidy up and repaint.

I'm just waiting on the tank to be delivered so I can work out the tank mounts and fairing mounts with everything else still attached.

bike1.jpgbike2.jpgbike3.jpg

The new tank arrived today. :)

It's designed for an SR500 and wont fit as is. :( Unfortunately it's going to need a bit of cut and shut to make it fit low and forward enough for the look I'm after. I'll need to find someone who can weld aluminium! That's well beyond my basic skills.

Took some time out to mock up the tank, fairing and seat to start to see the end vision.

mockup1.jpg mockup2.jpg

I've also been thinking about a colour scheme and mocked up a drawing. Silver frame, white fairing, tank, fr guard and seat, with red Yamaha racing stripes. What do you think? Is the option of a red frame (with silver swing arm) too much?

colour in2b.jpg colour in4.jpg

I'm surprised by the lack of comments after 600 odd views! Am I on the right track?

Well, I like it. I'm gathering parts to build something like it. I didn't know SR tanks were aluminum. Good work so far , you have my approval!

- - - I'm surprised by the lack of comments after 600 odd views! Am I on the right track?

Hi phil, since you ask:-
the eff nigh vertical first leg of the headers just don't look right.
They should run down at the same angle as the frame tubes.
And I bet that aluminum tank weren't cheap, eh? Seems a pity to chop it up as well as the cut'n'shut being liable to be as expensive as buying the thing. Shoulda bought one that fitted in the first place.

Looks awesome to me...i think the silver frame would be better than red frame. I typically like the three color combo (silver, red, white) when going with lighter colors.

Silver frame, polished tank, off white or cream fairings with red stripes, tan seat. Or be different and go all black.

I agree on the header's angle, it should follow the lines of the frame.

Looks great otherwise!

Back