denisducati750

650 Custom Chop
Reaction score
Well the engine, shock, tank, seat and new steering head mounts have all been welded in by my maestro John Wilkinson. He’s also fabricated linkages for the second hand Harley forward controls and a mounting bracket for the Katana rear disc. It’s time for exhaust and I’m going to give it a go myself with John to do the final welds. Question is, does anyone in Australia run an XS with straight out pipes that don’t cause trouble with the law? John has a pair of nice Harley Sportster mufflers but I’ll have a cleaner look and save big dollars without them. Any success stories locally? Here she sits ready for a fun weekend trying to create a custom exhaust.

Attachments

• 3E83E51C-CEE2-4726-8923-742777FA55DA.jpeg
    3E83E51C-CEE2-4726-8923-742777FA55DA.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 314
From the peanut gallery; the XS is not exactly "horsepower rich", a proper exhaust with decent volume (size not noise :laugh:), good flowing, mufflers are probably worth 5-10 HP. Straight pipes let "valve ringing" sound out, NOBODY likes that harsh note. You start baffling inside a straight pipe and horsepower goes DOWN. :(

Yeah I wasn’t looking for loud noise just a neater overall look. Wondered because some of the XS clips on You Tube seem to sound not too harsh or loud with what look like straight out pipes - but they’re probly baffled somehow I guess. I’ll go with the Soorty mufflers. Having a go cause if I stuff up it’ll only cost me a few bucks for pipe whereas if I can make it work It’ll feel even better than it does already. Thanks, D

Back